PDA

View Full Version : Help with desk bars.. Jds prices or other?

Emma austin
06-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi, I need to quote a client on some desk bars. She sent a pic but am on my phone so can't add it. It is what looks like alumark? Is gold mounted on a wood bar with black writing.
That's alumark isn't it? Where do you buy that from, and can you cut it?
I see there are desk bars in Jds website, but no prices. Does anyone have the catalog to tell me some prices? And do they come with the plates already attached like they are in the pics? The plate I am looking for looks like the name 'raymond' on that page.

Meanwhile if anyone knows the cheapest/best supplier for these please let me know, they must be able to ship international.
Am looking at 2-300.
Many thanks

Dan Hintz
06-24-2011, 6:10 AM
I would call JDS... received a flyer from them several weeks back saying their aluminum products (name holders, in particular) are going up in price... may have already happened.

Conrad Fiore
06-24-2011, 7:37 AM
Try Gravograph.
http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-products/laser_material_engraving.php for laser engraving material

http://www.gravograph.us/engravable-gifts/Executive_Class-7.php for walnut desk base

They are an international supplier.

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
You have to be a distributor to buy from JDS if you have a tax ID call them up and they give you a sign in to get prices.

If you don't have a Tax ID they will not sell to you.
Some vendors may sell to you, but most wholesalers require some sort of "being a business" proof such as a tax ID.

They keep their wholesale pricing as a "log in to see" as you can send customers to the site and they won't see what your
cost is.

Alumark is difficult to work with. I do Dye Sub for those type of plates. You can always engrave and do a fill, as I do that frequently.

Typically desk bars don't come with plates.

I'm not sure if JDS ships internationally or not.
If you add your location to your signature block then we know where you are so that helps when finding things.

Emma austin
06-24-2011, 3:02 PM
Hi,
Thanks everyone.
I will edit my signature soon, I am from New Zealand.
I am not sure what a tax code is, but I am sure we have the New Zealand equivalent as we are a registered business.
I will check out those other sites thanks.
I am reading mixed reviews on the alumamark in regards to how hard it is to use. They seem straightforward, if I mucked around on spare bits for settings etc. I am not familiar with colour filling yet. What sort of material would you use to get the same brushed gild plate look with black writing? That is what the client has requested.
Thanks!

Emma austin
06-24-2011, 3:36 PM
Hmm just noticed that laserbits has them, I have found Lasrbits very helpful with previous orders. Even with high shipping the products are still cheaper than I can find anywhere near here.
They have them for around 6.95US each. I have emailed a couple of other places for quotes, but if anyone does know prices please let me know.
Also I see on laserbits they have used LaserLights (gold/black) and it looks good. Has anyone used that product? Is it easier to alumamark?
Thanks!

Rodne Gold
06-24-2011, 4:10 PM
Use a laserable gold/black engraving laminate and have the bars made by a local woodworker.

Emma austin
06-24-2011, 7:32 PM
Thanks rodne. I hadn't even thought to look in the IPI catalog I have, as had alumamark in my head for some reason. It does look like alumamark in the pic she sent, but surely will be happy with the engraved look too.
IPI have the ultra thin adhesive brushed gold with black that looks great.
These look pretty identical to what laserligts are?
I guess I just have to see if client wants it to be super thin or stick out a bit.
IPI I can get sent from another city in new Zealand, but laserlights would have to be from laserbits, but if I end up getting the wooden blocks from there then it won't add much to shipping and most likely be cheaper than NZ prices.

I will try to contact some woodworkers here, but with our dollar doing so well against USA, they still work out quite cheap even with shipping! But who knows, a local may do it cheaper.
Thanks for the ideas! Will be a great job for me if I get it :)