PDA

View Full Version : burl

cal thelen
06-23-2011, 11:27 PM
up at our cottage for long weekend well today was terrible weather wise rainy cloudy dreary so we take a ride thru some county owned forest found this burl on a dead still standing tree. I am going tomorrow get a woodcutting permit and to drop tree and cut out the burl. my problem is i do not know how to identify trees at all, if there s leaf on it i might have a clue. I am thinking its some kind of maple anybody have any ideas. doesnt really matter as of tomorrow its mine.
i199062 199063

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2011, 9:49 AM
Cal, Not sure of the tree type...but that first pic shows a distinct burl-butt!! Looks like a nice burl, regardless. If you don't see any leaves on tree...might want to check for predominant leaves at base. From there...it will be more of a cut it open and see what the grain looks like. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ted Calver
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Cal,
If there is any branch structure left check and see if the small branches are opposite or alternate. If the branches are opposite, chances are its a maple.

The mnemonic device MADCapHorse is a handy guide used by field botanists. It aides in
identifying tree and shrub species with opposite leaves (Maple, Ash, Dogwood, CAPrifoliaceae
and HORSEchestnut).

cal thelen
06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys getting ready to go get it now. once i get it out should i cut in half thru the pith and anchor seal the ends? or leave intact? not sure when i will get to turn it summer is so busy.

David E Keller
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd cut it long and seal the ends, Cal. You can always dismantle it later. There's an iphone app called leafsnap that I've downloaded but not used... It's a free app if your interested.

Mike Cruz
06-24-2011, 1:56 PM
Cal, I am just in awe at how big that thing is... I mean, there is a CAR sticking out of it. Maybe that is what killed the tree. A car got lodged in it, the burl grew around the car, the car started rusting, and it BAM...a dead tree. :D

Make something pretty out of it. Take pics and show us what was actually in that mangled mess. Have fun.

Russell Neyman
06-24-2011, 2:16 PM
That is, clearly, Yahgotmee wood.