PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl from the "Historical Site"

Donny Lawson
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Well I could not wait to tare into the nice walnut tree from the Historical site that I went to pick up the other day.It's roughed out and turned out great. The large amount of sapwood makes it stand out well. When finished it will be displayed in the museum for decades to come. C&C welcome.

Michael James
06-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice start Donny. I wanna see that badboy all finished out! That's quite an honor - thanks for posting.
mj

John Hart
06-24-2011, 6:02 AM
Nice looking piece...and the wood is great! What's the nature of the "historical site"? Sorry if you explained it elsewhere and I missed it.

Donny Lawson
06-24-2011, 6:52 AM
John, I'm not totally sure but I went there on a field trip when I was in the third grade. I will be finding out more in the days to come and post it here. I know it has some interesting items in there.

Donny Lawson
06-24-2011, 6:55 AM
Nice looking piece...and the wood is great! What's the nature of the "historical site"? Sorry if you explained it elsewhere and I missed it.

John, you can Google "Crown Garden and Archives" and it gives information there. I just checked it out.

Tim Thiebaut
06-24-2011, 7:08 AM
Looks like that is going to be a great looking bowl once you final turn it Donny, and congrats on having it going to a museum, that must be a good feeling to know a piece you did will be on display like that for years!

John Hart
06-24-2011, 8:19 AM
Yep...that's pretty cool. I just love renovations of old structures. Tear down all the new stuff I say!! I'd be perfectly happy if the whole country looked colonial :eek::)

Jim Burr
06-24-2011, 9:00 AM
Great job Donny! I think that makes you historical too!

David DeCristoforo
06-24-2011, 9:58 AM
The grain orientation is killer! This is going to be a really nice looking bowl.

David E Keller
06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Is it dry yet? I'm ready to see that one finished... The grain is awesome!

Donny Lawson
06-25-2011, 6:53 AM
I checked it last night before the DNA bath and the moisture content was 38%. I hope to remove it tonight from the DNA and wrap it and wait patiently until it dries out.

John Hart
06-25-2011, 8:58 AM
Walnut is pretty well-behaved, but you should see some warp, given the grain orientation of your piece. I predict success. :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Donny that is going to be a beautiful bowl. Love the grain orientation and the sap wood sure makes it stand out. Nice honor Donny.