PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a used bandsaw - Help?

Scott Larson
02-12-2005, 4:01 PM
I have a question related to how best move an uncrated (used) bandsaw. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Grizzly G0513 (17” bandsaw) from a gentleman who lives about 20 minutes away. However, I have neither a truck nor strong friends so I’m looking for some advice. I’m wondering if renting a pickup truck (preferably two wheel drive so the bed would be lower) and then tilting the saw on it’s spine, sliding it into the bed (on top of some cardboard) and tying it down would be an OK option. It’s only around 266lb’s so I think I can handle it, I’m just worried about transporting it on it’s spine and figuring out precautions so it doesn’t tip over. Would you recommend taking the table off as well? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if anyone lives in the Newport Beach area and has a truck or a helping hand they might rent out I’m all ears!

Thanks again.

-Scott

John Shuk
02-12-2005, 4:05 PM
First I'll welcome you to the 'Creek. You will like it here. Secondly that sound's pretty plausible. If the spine is thick enough to keep it from being too tippy you should be able to secure it pretty well with little effort. Good Luck.
john

Jim Becker
02-12-2005, 4:18 PM
Like John, I'll also give you a big welcome aboard!! And yes, for a Euro-style saw like the G0513, resting in on the spine is about the best way to transport it. Be sure to load it into the truck bed head-first so that you tilt it out at your destination right onto the base. You WILL need help, however...tipping it either direction is dangerous with only one pair of hands.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-12-2005, 5:20 PM
Scott, welcome to the creek! Great find on the bandsaw, just don't risk damaging something by trying this yourself. Are there any 20 year olds around with a strong back that you could pay 20 bucks to help you out. 2 people on that saw would be doable... but one person is asking for an accident. You will have to lift almost all of that weight by yourself to get it up into the truck, once the top is tilted in. Even worse is coming back out.

Norman Hitt
02-12-2005, 5:41 PM
Scott, as others have said, transporting it on it's spine is the Best way, and Best for the Saw, as this is it's strongest side and would eliminate any "Twisting" of the saw's frame.

The loading instructions of rolling it to the truck and then tipping it into the truck on it's Spine with the top toward the cab of the truck is also correct.

When you have it in the truck, use two ropes, one at the front and one at the back and tie the midpoint of each rope securely to ssomething sturdy on the saw's front edge, (now facing up), and then tie them thru the holes at each corner of the pickup's siderail top, (or to built in Tie Down Loops/hooks) at the 4 corners of the bed, if the truck has them). This will keep the saw from tipping over in transit.

Welcome to the Creek.

JayStPeter
02-12-2005, 5:59 PM
I have that saw and have managed to get it on and off the mobile base by myself. It is heavy enough that if you lose control you won't be able to save it.
Removing the table and motor would lighten it a bit (and not that difficult to do). But, I'd opt for help. Can the current owner help you get it in. You may be able to get it out by yourself, or at least with a smaller helper :)

Jay

Scott Larson
02-12-2005, 6:18 PM
Thanks for the replies as well as the warm reception. I’ve been lurking on the board for a while and have learned so much just by following the informative posts. I’m pretty excited as I’m finally in a position to outfit a garage shop (I’ve been living in apartments for the last 12 years) and this is the first good deal on a bandsaw to show up in my local classifieds (I’ve been watching for a few months now). It’s good to hear that moving it on it’s spine should be acceptable. Also, I’ll certainly see if I can find any able bodies to help me lift the thing up (better than a back injury).

Any thoughts as to if it’s worth the effort to take the table off for the move? Also, I thought maybe I could bring a 2x4 and drill some holes that would match the holes on the back of the base (looking at the picture there appears to be a pair) so I could bolt it on (to help keep it from tipping). Thanks again for any input.

-Scott

Norman Hitt
02-12-2005, 6:30 PM
Thanks for the replies as well as the warm reception.
Any thoughts as to if it’s worth the effort to take the table off for the move? Also, I thought maybe I could bring a 2x4 and drill some holes that would match the holes on the back of the base (looking at the picture there appears to be a pair) so I could bolt it on (to help keep it from tipping). Thanks again for any input.

-Scott

Scott, I personally would just opt for the extra help and leave the saw intact. That's what we did moving my Uncrated MM-20 home from the Show. On that "Heavy Bugger", I did use two friends to Lift/tilt, and one to steady it-(Me, as my back was not too good at the time).

John Petsche
05-13-2012, 6:34 PM
good tips for bandsaw transport. If one bolts the saw upright to a pallet and removes the table and straps the saw down is that fairly safe transport method? Thanks.

John P.

Myk Rian
05-13-2012, 7:22 PM
Although this thread was started 7 years ago, I'll say I would rather lay a saw on its spine. Large ones, 26"+ may be a different story.