PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw hunting

Lou Morrissette
02-12-2005, 3:04 PM
Well, the old Delta scroll saw is finaly on it's last leg and it's time to replace it. Based on what I've read and some of the recomendations I've seen here, I've pretty much decided on the Dewalt 788. With all the searches I've done so far, Amazon has it for $399 with an additional $25 off. Have any of you seen a better price? I'd consider a reconditioned one but nobody seems to have one. TIA

Lou

Frank Pellow
02-12-2005, 3:48 PM
That's a much better price for the DeWalt 788 than any that I saw when I was shopping for a scroll saw. If that is really the machine that you want, I suggest you buy it.

The DeWalt 788 is made by Sommerville Design which is located close to my home. I too, thought I would purchase it, but then I saw another saw made by Sommerville, the Excalibur-30 , side by side with the DeWalt 788 . I quickly changed my mind. The design of the two machies is very similar, but the Excalibur is better made in just about every way. To me, the obviously beter quality was worth the extra cost.

Lou Morrissette
02-12-2005, 6:16 PM
Thanks, Frank. I have not seen the Excalibur. I'll have to check that out.

Lou

Frank Pellow
02-12-2005, 6:28 PM
Thanks, Frank. I have not seen the Excalibur. I'll have to check that out.

Lou
Here is a link Lou: http://www.excalibur-tools.com/products/scrollsaw.htm?product=scrollsaw

Ken Garlock
02-12-2005, 8:03 PM
Gents, take a look at the Hawk "G4" scroll saw. See The G4 (http://rbiwoodtools.com/s/static/g4_one/g4_one.htm) . I was it at the Dallas WW show last December, and it is almost vibration free. I was really amazed at how quiet and smooth it was. I am not a scroller, but if I were in the market I would give this saw a hard look.

Frank Pellow
02-12-2005, 8:13 PM
Gents, take a look at the Hawk "G4" scroll saw. See The G4 (http://rbiwoodtools.com/s/static/g4_one/g4_one.htm) . I was it at the Dallas WW show last December, and it is almost vibration free. I was really amazed at how quiet and smooth it was. I am not a scroller, but if I were in the market I would give this saw a hard look.
Ken, everything that you say about the Hawk also applies to the Excalilbur. :)

John P. Smith
02-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Lou, I am not a scroller, but LOML is. I bought her a DW788 for Christmas '03 and she loves it. It is her first scroll saw, so she has nothing to compare with.

I have used it some, it seems reasonably smooth to me and the blades are easy to change and top feed for inside cuts. WHEN it works. Within the first week of use the speed control went crazy. It had it's own ideas about how fast you should be cutting. It would speed up and slow down at will. There is a local DW repair shop and they fixed it, but it took three weeks to get the parts.
Then after about 6 months of use it started making a clacking noise. I took it apart and found a loose nut on the drive linkage. It was on a really small bolt (less than 1/4") so I only tightened it as much as I thought it would stand. It lasted about a week and came loose again. This time I removed the bolt and nut, cleaned them with lacquer thinner and reinstalled with Loctite. That was about three months ago (in the middle of her Christmas projects) and so far, so good.
I too have looked at the Hawks. The new G4 is built like a tank. I realise it is over twice the price of the 788, but if LOML wears out her 788 she gets a Hawk. 6 year warranty.

Roger Barga
02-13-2005, 2:54 AM
Hi Lou,

I own both the G4 and Eclipse scroll saws, previously owned the DeWalt 788 and have used the Excalibur in a class for a couple of weeks. The DeWalt is a "best buy" for your money. I purchased the G4, which is a fine scroll saw, because of the larger capacity and Eclipse for detail work in fine veneers. I only sold the DeWalt because of a lack of shop space - I don't think you will regret this purchase.

Cheers,
Roger

Ray Turney
02-13-2005, 8:59 AM
Hi Lou. I've been using the Delta P20 for about 6 months now and have been pleased with the saw. Started out with the Delta SS350, about $200.00, had to move up to the P20, which is about $500.00 after my son decided he wanted to get into scrollsawing. I think if you check out some of the other forums you will find that their is a lot of problems with the Dewalt. Bad switches,changes speeds at will etc. I don't know if they have a lot of problems because they sell a lot of them because they are very popular or a quality thing. I've probably put 250 to 300 hrs. on this saw since I've had it and not the first problem, vibration free, quick blade change, top feed, easy to lubricate, 20inch throat. If you do decide to get either saw check with Mikesworkshop.com to get blades, the best around, and if you email him with any kind of problem he'll get back to you right away. Good luck, Lou. It's not easy trying to decide on a quality tool, is it?

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2005, 9:54 AM
My wife and I have had an older Sears pin blade unit and an older Delta which we replaced. My wife and I went checking out units to replace both of these older units. She chose the P20. We went with one thinking we didn't need two. Then at a garage/moving sale about 3 months ago we picked up a SS250. The guy said he bought it for his wife. He said she used it once and never touched it again for whatever reason. So we picked it up for the $40 he had on it. She loves them both and we have had absolutely no problems. She uses the units more than I do and did the setup herself. She has in excess of 200 hrs of cutting on the P20.

Bernie

Bill Arnold
02-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Lou,

I've had the DW788 for a few months and it's been a good performer. As someone else said, it's a good price/value choice. I can understand someone who does scrolling all the time going for a Hawk or whatever but the 788 works for me for creating accent pieces.

Regards,

Lou Morrissette
02-13-2005, 7:34 PM
I appreciate all your comments and suggestions guys. Frank, that Excalibur looks like a real winner but that would realy stretch the budget. I need a machine that will give me 100 hours/year and I think the Dewalt will give me that in a more reasonable price range. As far as the Delta, I was never realy satisfied with the performance I got from it. Maybe it's me. Again, thanks much for all your inputs.

Lou