PDA

View Full Version : Power failure question

Neil Pabia
06-23-2011, 1:18 PM
Is there anyway to save an engraving that stopped due to a power failure or should I call this one a loss and start over? I was about 90% done with a 2 hour photo.

Amy Shelton
06-23-2011, 1:28 PM
I've done it, but it's hard. If it's a rastered image, you can duplicate it (make sure it is in the exact same spot), then crop it to about where the power failed.
Send just the cropped area to the laser.

Open your lid, "engrave" with the red dot pointer until you think it's right at it, then put the lid down. Mine will usually start engraving then.

Sometimes I miss a few lines and I just engrave it again. I guess you're better off to engrave a little bit of the image twice, rather than to miss a spot.
If it's text or something solid, it's hard to get it.

It's worth a try! Especially since you were 90% done. If it's granite, it's not a big deal... but if it's wood, it will show up if you engrave it twice.

Let us know how it goes!

Dan Hintz
06-23-2011, 1:30 PM
There are a couple of ways to recover, but neither is foolproof:
1) Remove the part of the picture you think has already been engraved form the PC and resend the job. If you don't think you can match it up perfectly on the PC, put a really thick layer of tape juuuuust over the portion that is engraved and rerun. with this method you may get a few lines that either aren't engraved or double engraved... it may or may not look okay depending upon substrate, power settings, etc.
2) If your system does not end the job when the cover is lifted but stops the laser from firing (I don't believe Epis are capable of this), run the job and close the lid when you get to the part that wasn't engraved.
3) If you can pause in the middle of a job and adjust settings, start at 0P, pause at the right spot, crank the power up to the desired level, then unpause.

Neil Pabia
06-23-2011, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the help, it was wood, now it is firewood. I have another one running and if the power goes out again, I am going home for the day.

Mike Null
06-23-2011, 4:20 PM
If it happens again try placing a piece of clear acrylic over the engraved portion and engrave it again from a spot just above where it stopped.

Bruce Volden
06-23-2011, 4:56 PM
One other thing to keep in mind "for the future". As mentioned above, try cropping as close as possible to the last line. Then resend the file at a lower power setting so you can just see the engraving. Once things match up-engrave as normal. HTH

Bruce

Dan Hintz
06-23-2011, 8:32 PM
Oh, another option that works better than the others I mentioned earlier... engrave backwards :)

If you started at the top and engraved down, run the same file starting at the bottom and work up... when you hit the spot where the entire thing is done, lift the lid.

Chuck Stone
06-23-2011, 8:48 PM
199042and then use this.

Dan Hintz
06-24-2011, 6:21 AM
And what happens, you ask, when the power dies again before it's finished? Cut your image into two pieces near the middle of the unengraved portion and do two runs... on going down to meet the top up, and one going up to meet the top down. If it happens again, keep sub-dividing... and then call your power company to scream at someone.

Larry Bratton
06-24-2011, 10:28 AM
There are a couple of ways to recover, but neither is foolproof:
1) Remove the part of the picture you think has already been engraved form the PC and resend the job. If you don't think you can match it up perfectly on the PC, put a really thick layer of tape juuuuust over the portion that is engraved and rerun. with this method you may get a few lines that either aren't engraved or double engraved... it may or may not look okay depending upon substrate, power settings, etc.
2) If your system does not end the job when the cover is lifted but stops the laser from firing (I don't believe Epis are capable of this), run the job and close the lid when you get to the part that wasn't engraved.
3) If you can pause in the middle of a job and adjust settings, start at 0P, pause at the right spot, crank the power up to the desired level, then unpause.
FYI-My EXT continues to run the job when the lid is lifted, however the laser does not fire until closed.