PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Feet and you look out the “Window”

Boyd Gathwright
02-12-2005, 1:49 PM
20,000 Feet and you look out the “Window” :eek: :eek:

....20,000 Feet and you look out the “Window” and this was after you saw the guy with the snake BEFORE you got on the plane.

.... Enjoy :D

Boyd

Christopher Pine
02-12-2005, 2:27 PM
Looks liek the thrust reversing shroud broke off.

Jim Becker
02-12-2005, 4:23 PM
I'm thinking maintenance door, Christopher...aweful far forward for the reversing thrusters. But we have a couple SMC members who are real pilots...hopefully they can 'splain it! That said...bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrr!!! I fly a LOT on business and really hope I never see this up in the air, or on the ground!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-12-2005, 5:22 PM
Wow, yeah I wouldn't ever want to see either one of those!! :) I hate snakes!

Still the worst for me is when they have to de-ice the plane over and over because they can't keep the ice of for 5 minutes to take off! :)

Christopher Pine
02-12-2005, 8:16 PM
I'm thinking maintenance door, Christopher...aweful far forward for the reversing thrusters. But we have a couple SMC members who are real pilots...hopefully they can 'splain it! That said...bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrr!!! I fly a LOT on business and really hope I never see this up in the air, or on the ground!

Actually you are right!

Hal Flynt
02-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Boyd,

Your picture has already made the list:

http://www.micom.net/oops/

http://zeeb.at/oops/AirtranAir.jpg

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 1:40 PM
Interesting, Hal. I didn't know that AirTran flew anything other than DC9/B117 aircraft...which have the two engines on the rear. Maybe that was early on after they came into being when their former self distructed after the Jacksonville crash.

Of course, with Boeing discontinuing the B117, they will have to pick something else going forward for new airframes! (Maybe the Emb 170/190 given the passenger carrying similarity or the smallest B737)

Martin Shupe
02-14-2005, 4:52 PM
Not sure what kind of engine, but it is not the thrust reversers. They are further aft. The maintenance access doors latch with 3 or 4 latches on the bottom of the engine. When they open, the open directly upward, with a hinge on each side on the top of the engine. I think what might have happened is that someone left the latches undone, and the First Officer didn't catch it on the pre-flight. When the wind got strong enough, the relatively lightweight doors blew away. Judging from the damage, I think the engine might have even continued to run.

Of course, I could be wrong....but it is a great pic, anyway.

I like snakes, but not through my nasal passages.

Scott Parks
02-14-2005, 6:24 PM
AirTran is getting some 737-700's. I'm 99% positive that the photo is a 737-700. There are cowl reversers on the turbofan 737's, but I think they are the next panel aft of the missing panel, and they slide aft.

I saw one of the new Emb 190's the other day in Albuquerque. Until you see it next to another plane, it looks like a mini Airbus. I think it was operated by Mesa.

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 6:42 PM
I saw one of the new Emb 190's the other day in Albuquerque. Until you see it next to another plane, it looks like a mini Airbus. I think it was operated by Mesa.I was on the EMB 170 for the first time last week to and from DFW and was very impressed...and yes, it's really very much like a small A319, but with taller wingletts. Two seats each side of a single isle, good seat pitch and leather. It can use the shorter runways designed for other RJs and Turboprops, too. All glass in the cockpit. I was impressed and look forward to future flights on these planes. The only downside...single class. Fortunately, I generally have no trouble getting the bulkhead on these things... But I'll take it over the smaller Emb RJs any day. The Canadair is more comfortable than those, too...a little more room.

The Emb 170/190 really fit nice in that space where there is too much passenger demand for the smaller RJs but not enough to justify the larger A139/B737 planes. US Airways is using them for a number of routes, especially where they needed to knock the price down substantially. I used to pay about $1100 RT for DFW...it's now just over $200.

Scott Parks
02-14-2005, 7:49 PM
But I'll take it over the smaller Emb RJs any day. The Canadair is more comfortable than those, too...a little more room.
I can't stand sitting in the back of the CRJ. I've never been on the little ERJ, so I can't imagine anything being more uncomfortable than the CRJ. Ours have terrible seat pitch. I always take an ailse seat so I can stretch my legs out. The side of the fueselage takes half of your leg room on the window seat. Bummer, I have to catch a 2 hour flight home on one in a few hours... I usually commute on "brand x" and sit in first class... But not tonight.:(

Brian Austin
02-16-2005, 9:45 AM
But we have a couple SMC members who are real pilots...hopefully they can 'splain it!...
I'm a pilot but just fly and pay attention to little planes. If it seats more than 12, I'm probably more clueless than most. I hate flying commercial.