PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness for Everday Heroes

Belinda Barfield
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Please pray for Javon Roberson and his family. This seven year old little boy is in critical condition after being attacked by a pitbull yesterday. Two of his neighbors risked their lives to free him from the pitbull. Here is a link to the story if you would like to read it. I have to admit I felt a little sick after reading it. I can't imagine how terrified the other children on the playground must have been. PLEASE don't start a pro/con pitbull debate.

http://savannahnow.com/news/2011-06-23/death-unleashed

David Cramer
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Wow, how sad. It seems like it just keeps happening over and over. Sorry Belinda, I am not doing a pro/con thing and if anyone feels that way, please delete my post, but....I don't like those dogs and won't let my daughter near them even if the owner is present. To unpredictable for me. Terrifying is right, what a thing to have happen to an innocent 7 year old boy. A crying shame.

Rob Cunningham
06-23-2011, 12:59 PM
How horrifying and sad for Javon. Even after all his physical wounds heal, he will be scared emotionally for a long time. As you said, thank goodness for everyday heroes.

Rod Sheridan
06-23-2011, 1:19 PM
Very sad Belinda, a tale of irresponsible pet owners and heroic actions by ordinary people.

Unfortunately it sounds like the poor child will be physically and emotionally scarred for life.

I was involved in a pit bull attack about 12 years ago, fortunately against another dog.

We forget how strong and motivated an animal can be, and how hard it is too change their focus during an attack.

In my case I broke it's jaw, and 3 ribs before it released the other dog, without suffering any injuries myself except for a bloodied sweater when I was holding the pit bull waiting for the police.............Regards, Rod.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-23-2011, 5:48 PM
Very sad Belinda, a tale of irresponsible pet owners and heroic actions by ordinary people.

Unfortunately it sounds like the poor child will be physically and emotionally scarred for life.

I was involved in a pit bull attack about 12 years ago, fortunately against another dog.

We forget how strong and motivated an animal can be, and how hard it is too change their focus during an attack.

In my case I broke it's jaw, and 3 ribs before it released the other dog, without suffering any injuries myself except for a bloodied sweater when I was holding the pit bull waiting for the police.............Regards, Rod.

Heroes indeed! Well said Rod.

Michael Weber
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Rod.

When I was a small child a neighbors bull dog (not a pit bull) attacked a small dog in our front yard. It took my father beating it with some tire chains and the next door neighbor hitting it with a golf club for it to release it's prey, which later died. My sister on the other hand tried to break up a fight between two of her own dogs and lost two fingers off one hand in a split second:eek:. She didn't mind so much later as it didn't affect her golf game.

Gary Hodgin
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Very sad. Thankful someone was there to help. Dogs owner should be liable.

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Here's a follow up. Doctor says there's a 50/50 chance his face will be paralyzed. The dog's owner went to the sherriff's office this morning to explain how the dogs got away from her.

http://savannahnow.com/news/2011-06-24/javon-roberson-fights-recover-pit-bill-attack

ray hampton
06-24-2011, 1:11 PM
I admired you for telling all of us not to get into a debate, IT IS A CRYING SHAME THAT PEOPLE NEED THIS TYPE OF DOG TO PROTECT THEM

Gary Hodgin
06-24-2011, 4:50 PM
Hope the owner has good insurance.

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 4:53 PM
Hope the owner has good insurance.

Sadly, Gary, I doubt she has any insurance at all.

Bryan Morgan
06-24-2011, 5:50 PM
I admired you for telling all of us not to get into a debate, IT IS A CRYING SHAME THAT PEOPLE NEED THIS TYPE OF DOG TO PROTECT THEM

Whats thats supposed to mean? Any dog can make a good guard dog if properly trained. I have a couple border collies that make great guard dogs and will tear someone up if they have to.

Bryan Morgan
06-24-2011, 5:53 PM
This is the modern day response to being attacked?

"If attacked by a dog: Roll into a ball on the ground with arms protecting head"

Lord help us...........

ray hampton
06-24-2011, 7:41 PM
Whats thats supposed to mean? Any dog can make a good guard dog if properly trained. I have a couple border collies that make great guard dogs and will tear someone up if they have to.
I rather have a barking dog to warn me of a intruder instead of a dog that will try to kill the person,[ remember no debate ]

Bryan Morgan
06-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I rather have a barking dog to warn me of a intruder instead of a dog that will try to kill the person,[ remember no debate ]

What the? You sling an argument and then throw in the "no debate" line? This whole thread should be deleted... I've seen a couple examples of this in this thread already. This topic should be akin to politics.

John Shuk
06-26-2011, 10:32 AM
To the original point. Thank god for people who jump into danger to save others. God Bless this boy.

Steve Costa
07-03-2011, 12:51 AM
We had an 8 year old boy mauled by one of these dogs several years ago. The deputy sherriff had better things to do so he showed up about 25 minutes later and eventually shot the offending dog. The community pitched in and raised several thousand dollars for the childs medical expenses. The parents sued the county & the deputy sheriff and ended up with a substantial settlement. We have a couple of those dogs in our neighborhood (very rural area). They come after my dog or me they are going to get shot.

Tim Livingston
07-04-2011, 10:58 AM
A month or so ago a dog down the road attacked a friends 9 year old daughter after it escaped through an invisible fence, a week later the same dog did the same thing and attacked a 85 year old woman. The judge let the dog live, the owner says he was just trying to lick them. I won't mention the breed of dog in my effort to abide by Belinda's request. Darn shame stuff like this happens because of bad owners not bad dogs!