PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication question...

Michael Ginsberg
06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
LUBRICATION QUESTION....
I recently bought a Grex R O sander that works great. I have been putting a drop of oil in the air connection with each use. This is how I have oiled my older nail guns as well never having a problem. I just saw the other day that I had the option of buying a drip-type automatic oiler that I can mount after my airfilter. Do these work well? I have a dedicated air line for the sander, different from the blow gun so contamination is not an issue.

I appreciate any suggestions regarding my lubrication situtation.....

Thank you all

Jeff Nicol
06-23-2011, 3:22 PM
Michael, They work very well and save you some hassle when you forget to oil a tool and it burns up! But you still have to remember to put oil in the oiler, so keep an eye on it if you are using a lot of air tools.

Packing for the symposium!!

Have a great weekend my friend, did you get all the stuff we talked about last week? If you did you will be busy!

Jeff

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-23-2011, 3:35 PM
As Jeff said, they do work well. The down side is when you use compressed air to blow down the shop or to blow out a hollow form or most importantly, if you spray lacquer. Then you need to plumb in a bypass that directs the air to your needs prior to the oiler. You also have to remember your hoses will be contaminated with oil and you need separate hoses for spraying.
faust

Michael Ginsberg
06-23-2011, 3:43 PM
Faust,
I thought I took care of the contamination problem by splitting my lines with two different ports. One dedicated to the sander, and one for everything else like the blowgun etc. I have my incoming air line, then a filter, then my regulator, then I have the outgoung air from the regulator split in to two lines. I was going to put the oiler on just one of those lines... am I missing something? Are you saying the oiler would put oil in the whole system? I assume the oil only goes in one direction.

Jeff,
If you mean the Clark Hollowing system, yes I got it!! I am just waiting on some extra parts I was missing. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-23-2011, 7:26 PM
Michael,
That should be OK. Just remember to dedicate a hose to the sander. Oil residual will remain on the walls of the hose you have connected to the oiler. Personally, I opted to not install an oiler. I drop oil into my tools when I use them. Of course, you remember your compressed air actually has a bit of oil from the compressor, not enough to lubricate your tools but certainly enough to spoil a lacquer job. I filter water and oil before each quick connect. Still, the hose I use to spray lacquer is used only for that.
faust

Sid Matheny
06-23-2011, 8:48 PM
I use one with my air rachetts but not any type of sanding tools. You will find a lot more oil will be coming out of any tool you use with this type of oiler. At least that is what I have found and I dont want oil spraying on my turning as I am sanding.

Sid

Michael Ginsberg
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Sid,
I spoke to the rep at Aircoil Co.. They said to let one drip out and tighten down to avoid over oiling. I realize that this is the same thing as adding a drop of air directly in the air inlet. BUT THE OILER LOOKS WAY COOLER!! And I installed it last night!!
What do you think?