PDA

View Full Version : Another Corian Question

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I have read past threads about Corian. I have etched a pen or two made from it (this was about 3 1/2 years ago). I have not played with it since and am being asked to quote a plaque for a high school football stadium. They supplied a picture with a "brushed silver substrate" and blue letters affixed to the top to give a three dimensional feel. This will be exposed to the elements.

I have two questions.

1. Does anyone know of a brushed silver substrate that can be etched on and hold up in the weather?

2. Would you recommend corian instead? - if so how do you glue the letters on top?

I guess that's three questions. I am looking at potentially cutting blue acrylic letters to somehow glue to the top of the piece. Ant ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

Larry Bratton
06-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Jessica,
Bear in mind, I am speaking from fairly limited experience with Corian, but I don't think they make a silver finish. If they did, it would probably be very difficult to come by in a small quantity. The only thing that comes to mind would be Rowmark Metalgraph Plus. You would have to laminate it to something thicker such as another piece of acrylic. You could then apply your lettering to it. Dependent upon the size of the letters, you might vector cut the Metal Graph, sit it on the acrylic and attach the acrylic lettering with Weldon #3 or #4. You could also engrave the MG+. and add the letters to make the 3d part.
Edit-Metal Graph Plus comes in a Stainless Steel over a blue core FYI
http://www.rowmark.com/laser/metalgraphplus/metalgraphplus.asp

Scott Challoner
06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Here's something I did a few years ago. As Larry said, I used 1/8" Metalgraph with a brushed stainless finish. They also have a brushed nickel for a shinier appearence. I painted black acrylic red and cut out the Farmall logo and the Rev er Up and used double sided tape (the stuff you can get in sheets from Johnson Plastics) to affix them to the sign. The other engraving was directly on the Metalgraph. This was not for outdoor use, but metalgraph is rated for outdoors.

Mike Null
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Try a sign wholesaler for the brushed metal substrate. don't know the name but they have some beautiful stuff. Use banner tape to hold the letters in place.

06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I forgot to tell you, I know Corian does not come in brushed silver. It does have various shades of grey, though. I think if Corian is a better option, I would like to try to use it. The rowmark option... I don't see it holding up in a high school stadium. All a person has to do is take something like a key and rub it on the rowmark and....you have vandalism at its finest. Having just said that, I know you cannot stop vandalism, but I want to make it a little harder to ruin something than by taking a key and scratching the top surface off. I work with Rowmark products nearly daily so I am very familiar with the colors as well as how well it holds up. Thank you for the suggestion.

06-23-2011, 1:00 PM
Mike, would I still be able to etch (most likely with cermark) the metal? There is only 2 words (a title) that the customer wants attached. The rest is a list of names and companies who give to the football organization.

06-23-2011, 1:02 PM
Scott, this is very nice. I have done some things similar, but I don't think the metalgraph will hold up as well. Not because of being outdoors, but because it is so susceptible to scratches.

Scott Challoner
06-23-2011, 3:53 PM
IPI now has the reverse engravable metallics. They may be a little more vandal proof since you can't scratch off the cap color but kids and signs don't usually mix well. On the other hand, I smell repeat business. :D

Keith Outten
06-24-2011, 6:42 AM
Gary,

Corian options are near unlimited.

Engrave and Paint fill.
Engrave and fill with colored epoxy.
Use varying thicknesses of plastic for a drop shadow look, use silicone adhesive for exterior and CA glue for interior projects.

Mike Null
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't believe the brushed silver sign material can be used in the laser. Applied letters or vinyl are customary methods.

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I have used black acrylic spray painted with Krylon Fusion, it's not brushed, but a nice metallic hamered finish.
Seems very durable, I use it for a lot of signage and cut out addition to recognition boards.

I have posted some samples here in the past, search Krylon Fusion as others here use it also.

Nice stuff!

06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Kieth, Thank you for the answers to the corian questions. What type of epoxy do you use? I am completely new at that. I saw people commenting on paint and using an orbital sander to take off the top of the finished sign. I think I can do this. - Just not sure about epoxy. Silicone glue...would you recommend Liquid Nails in silicone?

Thanks Mike for the input.

Martin, I have read a lot of your posts on Krylon Fusion paint. I will keep this in mind.

Thank you again to everyone for your help.
~Jessica

Rodne Gold
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I would use stainless with cerdec for the metal/black bits , acrylic for the attached letters bit. The stainless will last and wont be expensive.

Belinda Barfield
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Jessica,

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for but thought I'd throw it out there just in case. We needed to do some lettering for a local government office. They were very specific in the color of the letters. We used scrap Corian and painted it with automotive paint. You could use something other than Corian, we just happened to have a bunch on hand. The paint cures out pretty hard and pretty difficult to scratch. You can see from the photo that the paint is very glossy, and has a very metallic appearance, but not brushed.

Steve Ryan
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Corian is a filled acrylic and you will most likely not be able to buy Corian adhesive because you are not a licensed Corian fabricator. Not to worry. A proper adhesive can be bought from Integra (google them) that will work just fine, and in a huge selection of colors. You can also use the colored adhesive as a fill color if you do not go too deep.

Dan Hintz
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Corian is a filled acrylic and you will most likely not be able to buy Corian adhesive because you are not a licensed Corian fabricator.
Didn't Corian loosen up their restrictions last year? As long as you're claiming the use is for signs, not countertops, I thought their entire lineup (including adhesives) was now open for purchase.

06-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Rodne, that was my thought when I was told brushed silver. It will just take FOREVER to run. But then again Corian will probably take just as long.

Steve, does this mean Liquid Nails won't work?

Belinda, Very cool! Your picture isn't quite it, but very close. I have to have a background that's silver and apply letters to the top. I will look at the auto paint. Thanks for the tip.

Mike Null
06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
When I want to buy Corian I go to my Corian distributor. My needs are limited but he will sell whatever I need including Corian color fill. He also gives me a decent break on scraps.

Steve Ryan
06-27-2011, 2:26 PM
Didn't Corian loosen up their restrictions last year? As long as you're claiming the use is for signs, not countertops, I thought their entire lineup (including adhesives) was now open for purchase.
This may be true. Have had a license forever so don't know about that part. I think they will sell to shops for commercial work because they do not offer any warranty for commercial work. Residential work will only have a warranty if fabricated by a licensed fabricator. Many fabricators use Integra even though you are supposed to use Corian's adhesive.
I have seen solid surface that was made to look like stainless steel. Forget the brand but is was close.

Steve Ryan
06-27-2011, 2:30 PM
Liquid nails will work but do not know about weathering outside. Silicon will also work, but maybe get the adhesive type from somebody like CR Laurence.

Rodne, that was my thought when I was told brushed silver. It will just take FOREVER to run. But then again Corian will probably take just as long.

Steve, does this mean Liquid Nails won't work?

Belinda, Very cool! Your picture isn't quite it, but very close. I have to have a background that's silver and apply letters to the top. I will look at the auto paint. Thanks for the tip.

06-27-2011, 3:12 PM
hmmm....... I might need to talk to you!