PDA

View Full Version : Producing Grayscale Graphics From Photos

Wayne Kilford
06-23-2011, 9:41 AM
Hello,

I am new to the site but and was just wondering if anyone can help me understand how to produce grayscale graphics from photographs? I have looked at Gantry Co. who produce high quality work, but are unfortunately quite costly and is not something I could use. I would like to try and make some grayscale images myself and was hoping to seek some advise from anyone who has managed to do so.

I have also looked back through previous forum threads but can’t seem to find any answers. Apologies if this topic has been discussed, can anybody point me in the right direction.

Regards

Martin Boekers
06-23-2011, 9:48 AM
Are you looking just to convert a color image to grey scale or to make a 3D rendering?

Dan Hintz
06-23-2011, 9:53 AM
Considering your mention of Gantry, I have to assume you mean 3D-capable grayscale, not just grayscale photos. Those are done either (painstakingly) buy hand, or made in a 3D-capable package as a 3D model and exported. There are some tricks that can speed certain conversion operations up, but in the end, if you want a good 3D image you need to put in the work or purchase someone else's work.

Mike Null
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Welcome to SMC.

If you are simply looking to convert color images to gray scale then PhotoPaint which is part of the CorelDraw graphics suite will do the job nicely while allowing you to manipulate the image in the process.

Larry Bratton
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Welcome!
I think 3d is a waste of time and resources in a low power laser. You can never recover the value of the product if you consider time and effort to produce it. I assume that's what your after with your mention of Gantry. IMHO 3d results can best be achieved via CNC router, but it's still slow work.
As so stated, regular 2d greyscale images are a simple matter of conversion in software such as Photoshop or Photopaint.

Neal Schlee
06-23-2011, 1:40 PM
I agree with Dan, creating high quality 3D images has a fairly steep learning curve, lots of variables. Not to mention the lasering of the image is slooowww and cleanup can be a problem.

While it can be done using CorelDraw, I prefer Vectric's Aspire3. It allows you to design a 3D model either from scratch or using imported vectors. It creates a layered 3D grayscale image, this image can be used for creating 3D toolpaths for CNC routing within Aspire or you can export the grayscale (16 bit Tiff) and laser it. You can also import existing 3D designs such as STL files and the program automatically creates a layered grayscale image.

Here's a 3D grayscale exported from Aspire3 (can be lasered 3D), a CNC carved preview of the same image, and the final walnut carving (16"X20"X1.75").

198973 198980 198983

While some may not consider Aspire inexpensive software, it is for what it does and is very competively priced compared to their competition. Vectric's support is second to none! Whether or not it would pay for itself if only used to create grayscale bitmaps for lasering would depend on the amount of this type of business you do.

Neal
Lasertech Alaska

Larry Robinson
06-23-2011, 7:45 PM
Neal

I agree with you as to how good Aspire is. I use it for both CNC and Laser. Though the laser application is 2D only.

You certainly showed your mastery of Aspire with the Pics above.

Did you carve the helmet from one piece?

Larry

Bruce Dorworth
06-23-2011, 7:51 PM
Larry and Neal, what file types(formats) are you using from Aspire? Not DXFs are you?

Bruce

Bill Cunningham
06-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I agree with Dan, creating high quality 3D images has a fairly steep learning curve, lots of variables. Not to mention the lasering of the image is slooowww and cleanup can be a problem.

While it can be done using CorelDraw, I prefer Vectric's Aspire3. It allows you to design a 3D model either from scratch or using imported vectors. It creates a layered 3D grayscale image, this image can be used for creating 3D toolpaths for CNC routing within Aspire or you can export the grayscale (16 bit Tiff) and laser it. You can also import existing 3D designs such as STL files and the program automatically creates a layered grayscale image.

Here's a 3D grayscale exported from Aspire3 (can be lasered 3D), a CNC carved preview of the same image, and the final walnut carving (16"X20"X1.75").

198973 198980 198983

While some may not consider Aspire inexpensive software, it is for what it does and is very competively priced compared to their competition. Vectric's support is second to none! Whether or not it would pay for itself if only used to create grayscale bitmaps for lasering would depend on the amount of this type of business you do.

Neal
Lasertech Alaska

Love the Mkv Helmets Neal.. They were a big part of my life before I got into this business.. They would make amazing plaque additions. 16 x 20 would make a real nice wall hanging. I do 3d lapel pins for a customer of the same design(my old employer), with the logo of the training college in the face.. But those carvings are impressive..I'm gonna have to try and laser that grayscale..

Wayne Kilford
06-24-2011, 5:03 AM
Hello again and thank you to everyone for your replies.

I will just mention a little bit more about what it is I am trying to achieve. I work with YAG lasers designed for engraving in metallic items only, typically for Mould maker�s; logos, part numbers, symbols etc. We also have a machine capable of engraving 3D images using the Artcam software.

We have the ability to make 3D models but the idea is if a customer wants a certain picture from a photo or drawing engraving into a steel plate etc we would then like to try and produce a model from this (Ideally the grayscale graphic).

I Have trialed the Gantry logo sample and the results were pretty remarkable. I understand that it is painstaking business and is not so cost effective, but if possible I would like to uncover how to create these graphics myself and what particular software I may need to use.

Once again thank you for your time, your answers are much appreciated.

Wayne

Frank Corker
06-24-2011, 6:45 AM
I'm probably likely to be corrected here, but I suspect that Gantry and similar types use a 3D scanner to get there images.

Wayne Kilford
06-24-2011, 7:22 AM
I believe a 3D Scanner is possible but they state that they can create the graphics from 'ideas' to pencil sketches to digital formats .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .tif, .cdr (10.0 or lower), .eps or .ai (8.0 or lower). I would like to be able to create them from photos if possible.

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
ArtCam is an amazing software, you should be able to do what you want with that.

I have seen many things created with it. Some on You Tube.

See if they have a tutorial package available as it is a pretty sophisticated software.