PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your three corner files??

john brenton
06-23-2011, 9:28 AM
Home Depot occasionally has 6" xx-slim and 6" slim, but other than that they got nothin'. Lowe's has absolutely nothing, and I've been to smaller hardware stores and they have nothing either. Back home in Fresno we had "Fresno Ag", which had every kind and size of file imaginable. I can't stand the lack of availability on tools and lumber here...it's driving me nuts..

If you buy them online, who have you found to be the best dealer?

Peter Pedisich
06-23-2011, 9:46 AM
My local (to work) Ace hardware has all of them and more - but its in an industrial park.
Maybe Ace hardware online has some.

David Weaver
06-23-2011, 9:53 AM
Home Depot occasionally has 6" xx-slim and 6" slim, but other than that they got nothin'. Lowe's has absolutely nothing, and I've been to smaller hardware stores and they have nothing either. Back home in Fresno we had "Fresno Ag", which had every kind and size of file imaginable. I can't stand the lack of availability on tools and lumber here...it's driving me nuts..

If you buy them online, who have you found to be the best dealer?

McMaster carr and Wenzloff are the two places that have them for a good price. The woodworking tool suppliers and saw sharpening specialty places are a bit on the pricey side, especially for the small files. I would imagine that the fact that they sell them individually and have to handle them that way drives up the price.

It's nice to support the WW tool suppliers, but it's senseless to pay a lot more for files to do it because they are not a permanent tool, and they disappear fast restoring saws.

McMaster's small files that I've gotten have been grobet (and swiss origin), and their larger ones nicholson, unknown origin since nicholson doesn't stamp it on the files and they come loose from McM. I'm trying to avoid nicholson because their new files are made in mexico, and because their customer service has ignored repeated emails of mine with questions that they must not want to answer, but it's hard to sometimes to ignore them because their so widely distributed. They are OK for files made in mexico, but they are priced like US made files, and that doesn't agree with my patterns of parting with money.

Chris Vandiver
06-23-2011, 9:54 AM
Here you go: http://store.b2bprofessionaltools.com/files-american-pattern-economical-taper-saw.html

David Weaver
06-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Here you go: http://store.b2bprofessionaltools.com/files-american-pattern-economical-taper-saw.html

Chris - have you gotten any files from those guys? I would guess they're just a drop shipper because the availability stuff is vague, and the last time I went to order from them (on amazon), I got some ungodly shipping quote for a small box of files - $17 or 18 or something.

I'm assuming the files they have are not of swiss origin, but off the top of my head, I can't remember where grobet's second or third world files come from...maybe india, I can't tell from their page. I just checked, and their swiss files are described as "swiss made". They also say they have manufacturing facilities in the US. They have two classes of american pattern files:

* swiss made american pattern (these are excellent files, but hard to find in dozens cheaply)
* american pattern files (haven't used these that I know of, not sure of origin, but hard to believe they would be $30 a dozen US made)

I am cynical about files. I've gotten too many that aren't as good as i expected them to be.

Chris Vandiver
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
David,
As far as I know, Grobet's second line of files are from Portugal. I have used them and they are pretty good.

I have ordered from the site I listed and the shipping was reasonable but it was a fairly large order that I made. b2bprofessionaltools is located in New Jersey(I believe)so you could just go there to avoid shipping costs.:)

You can also get the Swiss made American pattern Grobets from this vender, just drop them an email for more info.

David Weaver
06-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I've had bahco portugal files and they have been good (as far as I can remember), so maybe the blue box grobets might be a good way to save money.

Mike Davis NC
06-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I bought some Nicholsons through Amazon.

Mark Wyatt
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM
This is probably an error, but you can order a 12 pack of Nicholson files from Amazon.com for $4 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Triangular-Single-American-Pattern/dp/B0002JT40Q

Jerome Hanby
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I bought a pack of Bosch circular saws from Amazon priced like that once. Turned out to be a single blade. Got to keep the blade and Amazon refunded the purchase...

lowell holmes
06-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, and Highland Hardware are three sources.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-23-2011, 1:04 PM
I've had good luck at a local hardware/tool store that caters more towards tradespeople than weekend warriors, and some of the independently owned hardware stores in the small towns around here that have been open forever often have old stock still kicking around for sale. They still sell yankee drill bits at one place a short bike ride from where I live. The farm and tractor supply places in the area used to be a good bet, but they've mostly got round files for chainsaws now.

george wilson
06-23-2011, 1:10 PM
Mark,I just ordered 6 packages of files. It says several places that they are packages of 12. If so,this is a great bargain,but I hope I don't end up sending them back if it is a mistake. Due on July 7. I could report on the files when they come in. Trouble is,they may all be gone by then.

Larry Williams
06-23-2011, 2:00 PM
Some time in the last few years Nicholson moved their production of taper files to Mexico. In the process they reduced the quality significantly. The quality of a file depends a lot on the preparation of the blank before the teeth are cut. The current production of Nicholson's Mexico made files are from blanks that are very coarsely ground. The coarse grinding signatures telegraph through the teeth making the files pretty worthless. Here's a photo of a new XXSlim taper file on the left and an older US production file on the right. I don't think you'll have any trouble seeing the problem with the new Nicholson files:

BTW, I believe that Grobet does have production facilities in the US.

David Weaver
06-23-2011, 2:15 PM
I understand that they go overseas for various reasons related to cost.

What I don't understand is why none of these companies are smart enough to look at their products, exactly like that, and take steps to keep them the same.

Well, I understand they don't care. They can tell you they care, but if they cared, they'd get results and fix issues. They don't care. That bothers me.

There is no reason (other than that they don't care enough to do it) that they can't make the same quality of files in mexico as they did in the US.

I don't know who cooper makes files and tooling for, but they lost my attention when they wouldn't give me a simple answer years ago as to whether or not there were still any retail outlets that would be selling US made files.

Mark Wyatt
06-23-2011, 2:53 PM
George,

I ordered some myself. We can only wait and see what happens. They may be poor enough quality that we send them back anyway.

george wilson
06-23-2011, 3:26 PM
You may be looking in the wrong place at Lowe's. I went to the tool section and all I saw were the imports with the obnoxious hex handles. Happened to stumble across chainsaw files of good make in the area where they sell chainsaws. I think there MAY have been a few other files,but I wanted chainsaw files at that time. Can't recall the make,but they were o.k..

Jerrimy Snook
06-23-2011, 3:41 PM
Try Warrensville File and Knife http://www.warrensvillefile.com/index.php/cPath/22_1381.

john brenton
06-23-2011, 3:41 PM
Wouldn't be the first time that has happened. Those places drive me nuts sometimes. Just the other day I was looking for a new grinder wheel in Lowe's. Would have thought they'd be in the tool section next to the grinders...NOPE. They were in an area all by themselves in the lumber yard. Ridiculous.

The only thing I like about Lowe's is that I am getting a way better selection on SYP for my bench top.

You may be looking in the wrong place at Lowe's. I went to the tool section and all I saw were the imports with the obnoxious hex handles. Happened to stumble across chainsaw files of good make in the area where they sell chainsaws. I think there MAY have been a few other files,but I wanted chainsaw files at that time. Can't recall the make,but they were o.k..

Mike Davis NC
06-23-2011, 3:42 PM
This is probably an error, but you can order a 12 pack of Nicholson files from Amazon.com for $4 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Triangular-Single-American-Pattern/dp/B0002JT40Q

It is showing $57 and change now.

george wilson
06-23-2011, 3:48 PM
Well,I have my receipt showing I paid $3.99 each for 6 packages. I hope they don't try to up the price on me. I'd rather have them cancel the order than have to pay to return the files.

Guess they found they had fouled up when everyone started ordering. I wasn't sure. I've purchased government surplus files cheap before. Once I bought about 6 sets of Grobet needle files,NIB,for $3.00 a set. They came out of armories.

P.S.,just checked my account,and it says the order is as I made it,and cannot be changed or cancelled. Looks like I and whoever else ordered,MADE OUT!!!!!!

john brenton
06-23-2011, 3:55 PM
DANGIT! I knew I should have bought a butt load of them!!

Mark,I just ordered 6 packages of files. It says several places that they are packages of 12. If so,this is a great bargain,but I hope I don't end up sending them back if it is a mistake. Due on July 7. I could report on the files when they come in. Trouble is,they may all be gone by then.

george wilson
06-23-2011, 4:14 PM
Wyatt,if you have any more hot tips,feel free to let us know!!!!:)

Did anyone else order??????

Pam Niedermayer
06-23-2011, 4:24 PM
Couple of months ago I ordered a file through Amazon, stated Pack of 12: Nicholson Flat Magicut Hand File, American Pattern, Magicut, 8" Length (Pack of 12) Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC $7.08. I receive a single file, which I kind of expected, but still. Normally I would have jumped all over Amazon (btw, you never have to return items bought through Amazon if they're not as described, and you still get all your money back), but I had better things to do at the time, didn't have the heart for it.

Pam

Mark Wyatt
06-23-2011, 4:25 PM
George,

My new search if for an apple tree, suitable for quarter sawn stock. Now, if I were a big apple tree, where would I be hiding?

george wilson
06-23-2011, 4:34 PM
I have let guys out of their screwed up deals before. A few years ago,a music dealer in Richmond fouled up and sold me(a bunch of trading obfuscated the thinking) a $4500.00 guitar for about $1400.00 in trade and cash. He jumped when he saw what he had done!!! I let him out of it. Bet he was more careful next time!!:)

Back in 1982 I had some dealings with a local artist who lived next to an abandoned apple orchard. The tees were only about 8" in dia. at the most. I have NO idea where the guy lived by now. I should start trying to look him up. If those trees are still there,unattended,they might be pretty big by now.

Ron Conlon
06-23-2011, 5:18 PM
I bought 4 sets when reading this thread at 2:30 pm.

Dave Ring
06-23-2011, 5:23 PM
I ordered a dozen each of four different sizes. That's less than a buck each including shipping. Thanks!

Ron Conlon
06-23-2011, 5:29 PM
Only the ones that Mark W provided a direct link to jumped in price. Go to Amazon and enter Nicholson Triagular and the others will show up. Extra slims and other lengths still available in 12-packs for 4-5 bucks. At least for a short while!

george wilson
06-23-2011, 5:30 PM
Mine were about 42 cents each with shipping included. They sure cleaned up their act fast after those orders started rolling in. I wonder how many boxes they have on hand? I just got the 6"

george wilson
06-23-2011, 5:38 PM
I was going to order 6 packs of 7",but they tried to hit me with $33.00+ dollars shipping,which made the cost jump to over $63.00. Not needing that many triangular files,I didn't order. Still a great bargain,though (IF they are decent files). Could be Hecho en Mexico. No me gusta!!.

Tony Shea
06-24-2011, 3:31 PM
I just ordered some slim taper 7" pack of 12 for $4.97 and some extra slim 6" pack of 6 for $4.06. These two orders were $6 in shipping. $15.03 for 18 files, all Nicholsons which aren't my favorite but certainly will be for that price.

Another order from a different retailer that Amazon uses I got a pack of 12 extra slim 5" for $3.96 and $4 shipping.

I really appreciate the heads up on these files as it saved me a ton of money on some upcoming saw renovations in serious need. And those 5" files should keep my dovetail saws sharp for a long time. Hopefully the 5" files are a little straighter than my last 4" and 5" files were. They came with a good size bow.

Someone is losing some serious money on these files, we're talking 90% off the original prices here.

Pam Niedermayer
06-24-2011, 4:09 PM
...Someone is losing some serious money on these files, we're talking 90% off the original prices here.

Sometimes a business has to convert inventory to cash, some cash being superior to none and far superior to inventory you can't move.

Pam

Leigh Betsch
06-24-2011, 4:46 PM
Ok I just ordered 36 triangular files for ~ $15 bucks. You guys are a bad influence on young impressionable guys like me!

David Weaver
06-24-2011, 4:56 PM
Yeah, i'm game now, too. Despite their quality issues, I also ordered 36. With shipping they came in just above a dollar per. I can waste them for that price.

I'm not convinced, though, that I won't just get three files.

Secretly, i'm hoping they're clearing out NOS US made files. I highly doubt any of us will be that lucky, but we can hope.

george wilson
06-25-2011, 9:12 AM
I'm afraid we'll all end up with 1 file per pack. Hope not. Other forums have discussed Amazon's foul ups. At least they usually let you keep your order,and refund. Well have to wait and see.

Tony Shea
06-25-2011, 2:32 PM
Typically Amazon has decent customer service in my experience. I would assume they will honor what is listed, or least I hope so. I'm not big on supporting outfits like Amazon and usually take my business local if possible but it is sometimes unavoidable due to the massive price difference. Such as a rifle scope I just bought. A Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42mm was on Amazon for $259. I talked to my local gun shop and the absolute best he could do was $379. In fact, Amazon's price just wasn't even in the same ballpark as others around the web or anywhere else. As long as they can keep up with decent customer service I don't feel too bad about supporting them.

Dave Ring
06-26-2011, 7:31 AM
As of 7:21 AM EDT Amazon is still listing half a dozen different sizes of these files at blowout prices (around $1 each including shipping). Use search terms "nicholson", "taper" and "12".

David Keller NC
06-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Regarding the original question - Tools For Working Wood sells Grobet at very reasonable prices. Personally, I agree with Larry's earlier post - the "new" Nicholson's aren't worth having. I bought a few at a local hardware store and wound up taking the ones I hadn't used back - they were so bad that they weren't worth the low price.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Amazon just called to say that were going to send me an Email about my order. I'll relate what that is about. We never answer the house phone because it is always a politician or salesman. The woman had such a heavy German accent I had to go over to the phone and replay the message ti understand it. I know it was about my order for files because she mentioned Cooper tools (and that's the only order I have placed,anyway.

Edit: I just spoke to Amazon,and they claimed they had no knowledge of the "damaged" files. They were just given information by the supplier. I told them it was a cooked up lie,and they had said in several places on their site that the files were a package of 12,and they were trying to wiggle out of the order. I told them that there would be plenty of discussion about this on the internet forums. When I demanded to speak to someone else,the woman came back to the phone and told me they would honor the sale,but it would be 6 to 8 weeks. I told her that was no problem. I suggested that they be more careful about their foul ups in the future.

If you others who ordered files get the same run around,I hope that you see this posting.

I hope that this same thing is not done to me again in 6 to 8 weeks,because I will not let them out of it. If they had just called and admitted their mistake,and asked to be let off,I would have agreed to do so. However,I will not be lied to about this and let them out of it.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
As of 7:21 AM EDT Amazon is still listing half a dozen different sizes of these files at blowout prices (around $1 each including shipping). Use search terms "nicholson", "taper" and "12".

Nicholson (cooper) wasn't the only one listing them, either. They had several drop shippers (bic tools or something and two others) who also had the files listed at the low prices. If this doesn't work out, cooper probably sent price data to their drop ship retailers that was not correct, and all of them did it at once.

If they don't have the decency to honor what they listed, and they just waste our time, it'll just be another example of how they are completely disinterested in anything other than offering garbage at the price of quality tools, and combining it with poor service.

On other note, the nicholsons that i got from mcmaster were mexico (junk) nicholsons. They can be used to sharpen, despite the quality of the blank, but they are not as good and there is no reason to pay western file prices for them. I doubt nicholson cares at all what woodworkers think now that they can make garbage tools in mexico and sell them through home depot and farm stores to people who will likely never use them, anyway.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I wonder what the 6 to 8 weeks delay is? Perhaps the have to go back to Cooper Tools and hold their feet to the fire and make them ship more files. In which case,they certainly will not be new old stock,but will be new Mexican made files.

If my files come too soft,but the teeth are o.k.,I'll wrap them up in stainless foil and charcoal,and case harden them some more in my electric furnace. They won't fake me out,unless the teeth are just badly cut.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
So they told you 6-8 weeks? The places I ordered from said they were either in stock or 1-3 days lead time. The second comment of 1-3 days lead time tells me they're just a drop shipper and they have no idea what stock actually is.

I ran into this issue with an asturo spray gun long ago, it took 3 weeks just to get a tracking number from the drop shipper that sold it to me when it didn't show up. They had no idea where it was.

As we type, there are still several sizes of 6 and 12 packs that are less than or about $1 per file.

I sure would like to run into some good NOS files sometime, like old enough that they are more than 0.95% or 1% carbon, and really hard. I've never used anything better than grobets, but even they don't seem that hard. Maybe I'm just using them on old saws with hard spots.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
George - i'm not following at the beginning, did cooper at first try to back out of the sale of the files claiming that they couldn't fulfill the order due to damaged files?

Or was it amazon or a third party seller?

george wilson
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
The Email was from Toolfetch. I called Amazon,using the 800 number that Toolfetch provided. Guess they either don't want to speak with customers,or aren't supposed to.

I expect everyone here who ordered files will get the same call and Email.

Tim Put
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
I sure would like to run into some good NOS files sometime, like old enough that they are more than 0.95% or 1% carbon, and really hard. I've never used anything better than grobets, but even they don't seem that hard. Maybe I'm just using them on old saws with hard spots.

I'd like to try Grobet's "Valtitan" line (google "Valtitan"). They claim a surface hardness of 72rc and the ability to file materials up to 65rc. They even make knife edged barrette files in this material (for the "dovetail file" thread).

john brenton
06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I took the hit on the shipping. Oh well, still saved $100.

lowell holmes
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Toolfetch bailed on me. They are refunding my charges. They are sorry for the inconvenience.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
How did you take a hit on shipping,John? How did you save $100.00?

Lowell,you should call Amazon like I did,and insist that they keep their word? Apparently they are going to send my files(Mexican as they may be).
800-508-5735

This is the Toolfetch number. I just called Michele Grant(who emailed me about the "damaged FILE) and asked her to email confirmation that they would ship the files in 6-8 weeks as she had promised orally a while ago. I should have asked her why the long delay,too.

john brenton
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
The shipping was more than the files, but I did get 54 files for $60 (shipping included). I mean, really, if I had bought 54 files at $4 a piece that would be $216, so I saved quite a bit. That's kind of an excessive amount of files, but I do use them until they screech and squeal, so I would like to have a more disposable selection. It's too bad the 4" xx slims were all out....I could have really used some.

I'm out of control. I'm a total tightwad until I spend a little bit then the levy breaks. Right after I bought the files I bought the two Langeskov wood planes on ebay.

How did you take a hit on shipping,John? How did you save $100.00?

Lowell,you should call Amazon like I did,and insist that they keep their word? Apparently they are going to send my files(Mexican as they may be).
800-508-5735

george wilson
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
John,are your files actually in your hot little hands yet?

I started to order more of the files,but saw that they would charge individual shipping on each pack of files,so,having ordered a bunch already,at a total of $7.00+,I decided not to order more. I was already suspicious anyway.

WHY can't people and companies just be honest ! I HAVE let guys out of much bigger deals because they were just honest with me. I get lied to enough by people without putting up with this lie. Especially offensive are the ones who profess to like truth.

among them,I had a few bosses like that. One,a BIG company man,right down the line,till they eliminated his position!!! Truth to him was whatever was convenient to the company,OR his EGO.

I notice that my acount on Amazon STILL says my order will ship and cannot be changed or CANCELLED. You guys who let them mistreat you should not be letting them do it. This looks like a contract to me.

john brenton
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
No, not yet. I had a 3 day shipping time though, so it should be any time now. I'm almost hoping that it falls through because I shouldn't have spent that money...but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'll let the forum know if they pull any crap and I won't let them out of it without something in return. If I was the one asking to wiggle out I doubt they would let me.

John,are your files actually in your hot little hands yet?

I started to order more of the files,but saw that they would charge individual shipping on each pack of files,so,having ordered a bunch already,at a total of $7.00+,I decided not to order more. I was already suspicious anyway.

WHY can't people and companies just be honest ! I HAVE let guys out of much bigger deals because they were just honest with me. I get lied to enough by people without putting up with this lie. Especially offensive are the ones who profess to like truth.

among them,I had a few bosses like that. One,a BIG company man,right down the line,till they eliminated his position!!! Truth to him was whatever was convenient to the company,OR his EGO.

I notice that my acount on Amazon STILL says my order will ship and cannot be changed or CANCELLED. You guys who let them mistreat you should not be letting them do it. This looks like a contract to me.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM

I think this comment was never intended to protect the buyer, but to keep the customer from thinking they can do anything to cancel or change an order after they make it. I'm assuming since amazon has such a liberal return policy, they probably also have a huge cohort of folks buying from them who love to exercise that return policy, even to the point of making orders and cancelling them as they find better ones a couple of minutes later.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
This is the Toolfetch number. I just called Michele Grant(who emailed me about the "damaged FILE) and asked her to email confirmation that they would ship the files in 6-8 weeks as she had promised orally a while ago. I should have asked her why the long delay,too.

I'll bet they try to cancel it in 6-8 weeks. It seems unlikely that cooper would run out of files such that what is likely a drop shipper (tool fetch) couldn't just have some drop shipped. they probably just don't want to eat the price difference.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 12:20 PM
It doesn't say I am the one who can't change or cancel it. If that is so,they need to be more specific.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, just gathering that from the fact that every order says that once it gets into something permanently. For orders shipped by amazon, it goes there almost immediately. I guess for the others, it goes there once they've confirmed that the drop shipper or retailer has received the order. It's still usually pretty quick.

However, amazon has come back around after an order was placed and told people that they were cancelling the order due to a mistake in the listing.

It's dirty pool for a secondary retailer to likely lie to you and tell you that a file was damaged to try to back out of the order on you, though. Not cool.

I would let them go if they were honest, too, as I will probably do when the retailers who are holding my orders cancel them. If they just send me one file, though, then I'll just do whatever I can to leave them negative feedback.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 1:22 PM
Now Toolfetch has reneged on their promise to send an Email confirmation of my order being filled. She said her manager said the order is pending and that was enough. I don't trust these guys as far as I could throw them.Amazon apparently cancels orders if they aren't sent within 30 days,she said. I think this is what they are waiting for. I have asked for their manager to call me.

Mark Wyatt
06-27-2011, 1:27 PM
George,

I just had the exact same conversation with someone from Toolfetch. He says Amazon won't let them keep an order open for more than 30 days. He will "get back to me." Right, sure he will, about the time pigs fly. Why not just say, "it was a mistake and we cannot sell the items at that price." It would make life much easier.

Meanwhile, BIC Superstore through Amazon is still offering the files at a steep discount. Maybe they will have "damage" at their warehouse too.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 1:34 PM
If they fail to keep their word,I will complain about them to Amazon. I hope everyone else who got the snow job will also. Don't just be meek and let them shove you around.

Doing this reporting to Amazon is the only way they will learn to be honest in their business dealings. This reminds me of the politicians who get caught in scandals and INVARIABLY try to lie their way out of it. They are so stupid to try that in this age of information. Just admit it up front and be done with it. I think the public would be more forgiving if they would just come clean.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 1:41 PM
Well, at least we know the reason they said that the order will be filled in 6 weeks, they can drop it and then pretend they didn't have the conversation with you.

If they cancel your order, I wonder if you can even leave feedback. Going directly to amazon is a better way to do it, you'll maybe have a better chance of being heard.

I wonder what it is with places that they feel like they need to lie. I wouldn't trust anyone these days who won't put something in writing.

Pam Niedermayer
06-27-2011, 3:45 PM
Amazon won't hit your credit card until the seller says it's shipped; although they do go for authorization right away, which usually impacts debit cards. You guys convinced me to order a couple of sets of triangular slim and extra slim files from BIC on Friday, such a good deal, but they still haven't shipped. We'll see.

Pam

Tony Shea
06-27-2011, 4:21 PM
I also just got home from work and saw Toolfetch's email about damaged files. Will have to get on the horn I suppose and follow George's lead. I knew this deal was far too good to be true. I mean what kind of damage can really happen to a crate of files. They must've had some kind of bomb go off in the warehouse. I'll have to call and find out. I also will NOT be lied to and let them get away with it. Tell me the messed up with the price and I'd be happy to let them off. THere are far too many relieable companies in this trade that go out of their way to make us woodworkers happy to let some company lie to me. False advertisement as far as I can tell.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 6:13 PM
My post vanished: I guess the promise from the woman at Toolfetch to have the supervisor call me after his lunch was a lie,too. Must have been an all afternoon lunch.

After reading Amazon's policies about problems, I think if the shipper refunds the money,not much can be done about it.

If we ALL call Toolfetch,and Email Amazon with complaints,and let them know that this is becoming a well read issue on forums where tool users chat,it might give them pause.

Toolfetch's Email according to the woman who answers the phone is contact@toolfetch.com Since her email address was with held from her message to me,I wonder if that is a lie,too.

There are STILL several boxes of 12 files on Amazon's listing. Science and Industrial,and BIC still list them. Shipping is high at $8.00+,and they'll probably hit you for shipping PER BOX. I wouldn't order what are likely Mexican files at that price.

I have posted this snow job on 2 other forums. Hope some of you would do the same.

john brenton
06-27-2011, 7:26 PM
Yeah, shipping made me really consider cancelling my order. I filled my cart then I slept on it. The next day I decided that at the very worst I paid for a whole bunch of low quality files that will last me longer than a few high quality ones.

Mark Wyatt
06-27-2011, 7:41 PM
I've already got my complaint into Toolfetch with zero response. I'll be complaining to Amazon and, if my credit card is ever billed, to them as well. Visa and Mastercard do not like bad merchants, especially internet merchants.

Mike Davis NC
06-27-2011, 7:41 PM
Greetings from Amazon.com,

We're writing to inform you that your order xxxxxxx from BIC Superstore has been canceled.

Your credit card was not charged for this order.

If you're still interested in this item, please search for it again on Amazon.com.

We've included your order details below for reference.

We value you as a customer and hope you will continue shopping on Amazon.com.

==================================================
ORDER DETAILS
==================================================

1 of Nicholson Triangular Extra Slim Taper Hand File, Single Cut, American Pattern, 4" Length (Pack of 12)
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000L0E78K)

1 of Nicholson Triangular Slim Taper Hand File, Single Cut, American Pattern, 7" Length (Pack of 12)
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W05JYK)

Pam Niedermayer
06-27-2011, 7:46 PM

We're writing to inform you that your order xxxxxxx from BIC Superstore has been canceled.

Your credit card was not charged for this order....

Yep, that's what I got an hour ago. Oh, well, an example of what happens when special offers go viral. :)

Pam

Dave Ring
06-27-2011, 8:58 PM
Likewise. Suitably indignant email sent (FWIW).

george wilson
06-27-2011, 9:01 PM
This is funny. We all (I did,anyway) knew we were going to get the shaft,and now everyone is upset because we did!! I am going to keep on them,and I hope ALL of us do.

Pam Niedermayer
06-27-2011, 9:26 PM
This is funny. We all (I did,anyway) knew we were going to get the shaft,and now everyone is upset because we did!! I am going to keep on them,and I hope ALL of us do.

I'm not at all upset, nor do I think I got the shaft, maybe wasted a few minutes at worst. Now this is for the company called BIC, the Tooltech guys appear a little stupider. I'm sure this is a result of how sku's are handled. The manufacture sells in packs of 12, the retailer sells in packs of 1; so some stupid, careless clerk, or maybe some poorly written and designed code, posts the item to the ultimate reseller as packs of 12 for a price of 1. And, of course, we all jump all over the mistake hoping for extrordinarily good deals.

Pam

george wilson
06-27-2011, 9:46 PM
We were all hoping to get a good deal,true. Stranger things have happened. As I mentioned,I have bought Government surplus brand new Grobet #2 needle file sets for $3.00 at a local flea market. Who here knew if the files were some kind of surplus? Nothing ventured,nothing gained,is there?

I am not miffed because I didn't get my files. I am miffed because Toolfetch had to lie about it rather than JUST BEING HONEST.

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
I got the same email from BIC. I got another one from quality distributing that said they shipped my order - 1x slim files, two packs. We'll see what they are, i'm not holding my breath that they'll actually be two dozen files.

I think i was one of the first people who said this would be a tremendous waste of time in the end. I should've followed my own advice.

george wilson
06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Well,Toolfetch has lied twice to me,by promising they WILL fill my order IN 6-8 weeks!! I know they will not. They are just waiting for the Amazon time to run out in 30 days,when Amazon automatically refunds my money.

That ,plus their other lie (warehouse damage) is what I don't like.

Ron Kanter
06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Here is my solution - I plan to submit the following order directly to b2bprofessionaltools.com
36 Grobet brand files delivered for less than $3 a piece.
Probably more files than I really need so if someone wants to split the order with me send me a PM.

1 AMERICAN PATTERN TAPER
SAW FILES DOUBLE EXTRA
SLIM 4 INCH BOX OF 12 $22.79

1 AMERICAN PATTERN TAPER
SAW FILES SLIM 6
INCH BOX OF 12 $32.40

1 AMERICAN PATTERN TAPER
SAW FILES DOUBLE EXTRA
SLIM 6 INCH BOX OF 12 $30.78

Subtotal: $85.97 Shipping: $12.50 Tax: $0.00 Total: $98.47

David Weaver
06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
If you could, let us know the country of origin printed on those files. It's hard to read the smaller ones, but it should be legible on the slim taper 6 inch files. It's likely that's what I'll be getting in the future if those are good files.

Dan Hahr
06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Just saw this under a review for the 4" file 12 pack:

The BIC Superstore Cancelled the Order, June 27, 2011
By
Gift Recipient "lowell holmes" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2TOY6KGR7BON1/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp) (Dickinson, TX USA) - See all my reviews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2TOY6KGR7BON1/ref=cm_cr_dp_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview)
(REAL NAME) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=cm_rn_bdg_help?ie=UTF8&nodeId=14279681&pop-up=1#RN)

This review is from: Nicholson Triangular Extra Slim Taper Hand File, Single Cut, American Pattern, 4" Length (Pack of 12) (Misc.)
Amazon and the store cancelled the order with no reason given.

You wouldn't let me get by with doing it.

Amazon needs to check my account and see how much business this will cost Amazon.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Mike Davis NC
06-28-2011, 6:10 AM
No big deal, I spend more time looking in flea markets with no results. Worth a try, now I'll move on and waste no more time on it.

Paul Saffold
06-28-2011, 7:27 AM
BIC Superstore (Amazon) cancelled my order for 4 x 12. I re-ordered with another vendor. Time will tell.

Chris Vandiver
06-28-2011, 9:28 AM
The country of origin for the Grobet America files is India.

David Weaver
06-28-2011, 9:30 AM
Thanks, Chris. I figured as much.

Back to the swiss files, regardless of cost, I guess. The last simonds files I got were US made, I'll have to take a closer look. Some of them looked like they were bounced around in a package so much that they were dinged up a little.

george wilson
06-28-2011, 9:42 AM
I think I just looked Simonds up last week,and they are Chinese now. You were lucky to get NOS.

Well,Amazon hasn't canceled me yet. Just waiting for it to happen.

David Weaver
06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Bahco's machines were transferred out of switzerland (but I think I've been OK with their portugal files - not ecstatic about them, but OK), simonds going to china, nicholson goes to mexico and grobet USA stuff is indian.

What a bunch of garbage.

Grobet swiss is expensive, but it's all that's left, I guess. I have not had any luck finding NOS taper saw files that didn't have chunks taken out of them due to rust. I have seen them online from time to time, but they are no cheaper than grobet swiss.

Gary Radice
06-28-2011, 1:14 PM
I ordered some 4" and 5" extra slims yesterday, and they canceled my order today, too. No explanation.
My guess is that somebody originally made a mistake and listed the boxes of 12 for the single file price.
Oh, well. Good for you guys that jumped on it early!

David Weaver
06-28-2011, 1:17 PM
I might've missed it, but has anyone else gotten a shipping confirmation? I did from one of the places, for two packs, but I haven't gotten them yet, and am expecting they'll be a single file each since nobody called to me to gripe about their listing mistake.

I have gotten things from amazon before where they mixed up the SKU and it clearly did not match the description, and they are not swift enough to figure it out. If you order, and they send you the wrong thing, if you re-order and they do it a second time, they mark you as someone who can't order that product from them. Customer service is just a nameless person who has no idea about tools, so you cannot get it through to them that they have mislabeled a batch of things in their warehouse and are sending out the wrong product.

john brenton
06-28-2011, 1:31 PM
Nope...I got this though.

We're writing to inform you that your order 103-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx6 from BIC Superstore has been canceled.
Your credit card was not charged for this order.
If you're still interested in this item, please search for it again on Amazon.com.
We've included your order details below for reference.
We value you as a customer and hope you will continue shopping on Amazon.com."

They say that it's because they are out of stock. Yeah, right. I don't think it's fair that they decide to cancel the order. I think they should negotiate it with me. That's why I like ebay.

I might've missed it, but has anyone else gotten a shipping confirmation? I did from one of the places, for two packs, but I haven't gotten them yet, and am expecting they'll be a single file each since nobody called to me to gripe about their listing mistake.

I have gotten things from amazon before where they mixed up the SKU and it clearly did not match the description, and they are not swift enough to figure it out. If you order, and they send you the wrong thing, if you re-order and they do it a second time, they mark you as someone who can't order that product from them. Customer service is just a nameless person who has no idea about tools, so you cannot get it through to them that they have mislabeled a batch of things in their warehouse and are sending out the wrong product.

David Weaver
06-28-2011, 5:02 PM
I just got another one that said it shipped. I don't remember how many files I ordered now, but this one was called Hugo's.

Yesterday was someone else.

As with the first, no question, etc, I'm guessing one file instead of a pack, but we'll see. They must've sent it parcel post, as the delivery estimate for a ship date of today is 1 1/2 to 3 weeks out.

I have read around a little bit and it sounds like the indian grobets aren't really that bad. There was some commentary on WN that they were easier to use than the swiss grobets as they are not quite as hard and not quite as fragile.

As far as the nicholsons go, looking at larry's picture, I've never really had much trouble with the sides of the file regardless of the quality of the blank - they've all cut fairly well, and the metal wears, anyway. HOWEVER, what I have had trouble with is the quality of the blank seems to carry over into the teeth at the edges not being very good. it's like four will be at an even height, and then the fifth one is low. That makes for the next tooth after that one getting dull fast and the file feeling like it's very rough working.

We'll see what I get for the nicholsons, but if they're only one file, I still do have a couple of saws to restore and I'll probably try the indian grobets. I can't find the swiss files in packs of 12 very easily and if they're $7 each in packs of 12 for common sizes, I may just try the indian ones, anyway, since the reviews of them seem to be decent and the close up pictures I could find on the web showed a file that looked like it had a nice clean blank and even teeth, unlike the nicholsons.

B2bprofessionals is the place I saw them separate from amazon. I think they play dirty pool on amazon trying to charge you $14 for shipping, but when you go to their actual website, they don't do that. they must be trying to play games with peoples senses (or maybe amazon charges a percent of sale price) by charging a ridiculous amount for files that are probably going to be delivered in a $3 first class mail package.

george wilson
06-28-2011, 6:48 PM
I'm going to tell Toolfetch to forget it. Too many people think I am to blame(on other forums) for just standing up to being lied to. I don't really need their cheap import files anyway. So many think I am trying to rip them off. All I was trying to do was to not put up with being lied to.

Tony Shea
06-28-2011, 7:20 PM
I guess I don't understand george. What are you to blame for? Im confused what they mean you're trying to rip them off. If you walk into a store and buy an item with a mistake for a price on it then no questions asked they have to honor that price...happens all the time. Falsly advertising something is by no means ripping anyone off. What's the store going to do grab the item out of my hands and claim its damaged and go hide the rest of the product and say the same? I will garuntee that they will be listing their files shortly for the correct price. Which will negate the story they said about not expecting the item anytime soon.

Leigh Betsch
06-28-2011, 7:29 PM
I received a message yesterday that my 2 packs from BIC Superstore order were canceled. Received another message today that the one pack from Hugos was shipped. Due sometime between 7/15 and 7/25. The tracking number isn't recognized though. If I actually get a pack of 12 files that will be enough.
I know what you mean George, poor business practices should be stomped on, but for cheap import junk it's just not worth the hassle. But I'm sure that's what Amazon is counting on.

Yikes! The same thing is now listed at $40. I sure hope they don't charge me $40 instead of $4. If so I will have to go through the hassle of stopping that!

Pam Niedermayer
06-28-2011, 7:35 PM
...I know what you mean George, poor business practices should be stomped on, but for cheap import junk it's just not worth the hassle. But I'm sure that's what Amazon is counting on....

You know for a fact that this is Amazon's fault? Seems to me they're at least looking out for their customers by cancelling the orders and protecting their money.

Pam

Pam Niedermayer
06-28-2011, 7:37 PM
I'm going to tell Toolfetch to forget it. Too many people think I am to blame(on other forums) for just standing up to being lied to. I don't really need their cheap import files anyway. So many think I am trying to rip them off. All I was trying to do was to not put up with being lied to.

Based on the widespread nature of this issue, I would be wary of blaming Toolfetch for this problem (yes, of course, they're guilty of lying to all, bad enough); but I don't think it's time to get all worked up and turn into a rabid mob.

Pam

george wilson
06-28-2011, 8:38 PM
Why are you quoting me,Pam? I have relented. Am I turning into a "rabid mob"? I know I am eventually going to get screwed,so I may as well be done with. I must say,I don't think most of the people on some of the other forums understand(or half read) my standing by my principles on this issue. It was never the files. It was my resistance to being lied to.

So,why are you quoting me?

Gary Herrmann
06-28-2011, 9:22 PM
Deerso and Quality Distributing LLC have pulled the same routine. It's the saw file lottery and we lost.

Gary Herrmann
06-28-2011, 9:24 PM
Yes, George. You are mob of one. Revel in your power. 'Course the rest of us just didn't admit to their indignation as honestly...

;)

george wilson
06-28-2011, 9:58 PM
Of course I am not a "rabid mob" of 1,but I would like to know why Pam quoted me after I had decided to relent. I can't see the reason for it. I just want to get it over with and not wait to be lied to yet again. I know perfectly well that they won't keep their word to me about shipping,when everyone else is getting canceled. Why should they?

I'll just take my business to the local hardware stores,Best Buy,whatever. Cheaper than paying shipping anyway. If they have a better bargain,I will not know,because I won't go to Amazon anymore.

I read a bunch of Toolfetch's feedback. The "damaged in the warehouse" is an often used excuse by them. Blaming Amazon was done a number of times,too. I wonder if their warehouse has a straw roof? And,I certainly don't want to make some mistake,and get charged about $23.00 shipping for a $2.50 purchase.

Mel Miller
06-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Good grief George, how many forums have you posted this story on, and how much time have you wasted on it? It's not worth the aggravation.
Give it a rest.

Mel

Pam Niedermayer
06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Why are you quoting me,Pam? I have relented. Am I turning into a "rabid mob"? I know I am eventually going to get screwed,so I may as well be done with. I must say,I don't think most of the people on some of the other forums understand(or half read) my standing by my principles on this issue. It was never the files. It was my resistance to being lied to.

So,why are you quoting me?

What? I was responding to the general fuss about Toolfetch and Amazon, and I quoted you to put it in context because your message was the handiest. I suppose I was also responding to someone else's threats, Leslie? I also used first person precisely to avoid pointing at you in particular and to talk about all of us. You know, I almost stopped reading this thread tonight, and don't know whether I'm glad I didn't or wish I had.

Pam

Mark Wyatt
06-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Post deleted by author. Thread is too long to begin with.

george wilson
06-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I want to put it behind me.Too much aggravation is correct.

Pam,you completely befuddle me. You quote me when I actually called it quits,then try to avoid pointing the finger at me??? How does that work? Why didn't you quote Leslie(or whoever you say made threats) ? I can't figure it out.

Pam Niedermayer
06-29-2011, 1:09 AM
I want to put it behind me.Too much aggravation is correct.

Pam,you completely befuddle me. You quote me when I actually called it quits,then try to avoid pointing the finger at me??? How does that work? Why didn't you quote Leslie(or whoever you say made threats) ? I can't figure it out.

I'm done with this, George. I didn't intend to point any fingers at you, and I don't know how many times I have to say it. I won't say it again.

Pam

David Weaver
06-29-2011, 8:32 AM
Back to the simonds, I did check my simonds this morning on the way out the door - they are all red tang files. The old ones are US, and the newer ones are India on the tang.

That's too bad. I hadn't noticed it on the newer ones before, but I haven't used any of the newer ones yet, either, so we'll see how they go. Hopefully they wear a little longer than the mexico nicholsons. Their edges are better, but the teeth don't *look* quite as sharp. Never know how they are until they're in the cut - they don't have to cut super fast for maintaining saws, but it's nice when they do for reshaping teeth on a saw that's out of maintenance.

David Weaver
06-29-2011, 8:34 AM
so, so far, I have gotten files from two places (or at least they were mailed) and nobody else got any. Guess you guys didn't pick well :p

Of course, when it turns out I got one file for $4 plus $5 shipping, and it's an import file that I can drive down the street and get at the borg any day for $4, the joke will be on me.

george wilson
06-29-2011, 9:20 AM
Pam,there ARE plenty of times when I AM being rabid that you could quote me,and it would THEN make more sense!!!:):):)

john brenton
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
If it's any consolation George, I'm in the same boat with the files, having the second company bail out on me today with the "out of stock" excuse. I'm a busy guy, and so are you, and it's very frustrating to spend the time searching, price comparing, processing the pay etc., only to have the company bail and lie about it. I'm annoyed with the company for lying, and annoyed with Amazon for cutting the buyer out of the process.

Pam,there ARE plenty of times when I AM being rabid that you could quote me,and it would THEN make more sense!!!:):):)

george wilson
06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
We are all in the same boat. I'm done with it.

Gary Herrmann
06-29-2011, 1:29 PM
Fwiw, MSC Direct and Unbeatable Sale shipped to me. Haven't seen the files yet.

David Weaver
06-29-2011, 1:37 PM
Of all of the places so far, MSC ought to be one that gets it right.

Mike Allen1010
06-29-2011, 2:19 PM
Some time in the last few years Nicholson moved their production of taper files to Mexico. In the process they reduced the quality significantly. The quality of a file depends a lot on the preparation of the blank before the teeth are cut. The current production of Nicholson's Mexico made files are from blanks that are very coarsely ground. The coarse grinding signatures telegraph through the teeth making the files pretty worthless. Here's a photo of a new XXSlim taper file on the left and an older US production file on the right. I don't think you'll have any trouble seeing the problem with the new Nicholson files:

BTW, I believe that Grobet does have production facilities in the US.

I agree with Larry, the Nicholson saw files made in Mexico are worth exactly what you pay for him -- not much! I find they dull extremely quickly, especially if you're using them to sharpen larger tooth, full size hand saws around .040" thickness plates. I recently rehabbed at Disston #7 (not the Disston top-of-the-line extra refined London spring steel), 28 inch 5 1/2 ppi rip saw -- the teeth were in fairly decent shape but needed to be re-shaped to uniform profile, jointed, sharpened etc. I went through 5 Nicholson files to get it done.

For me, the Nicholson files work okay with smaller teeth and thinner saw plates- but still don't really work out too well in the value versus quality equation.

I've had much better luck with the Grobett. Swiss and American files I've purchased from b2bprofessionaltools.com. Tom who runs the place is been very helpful. I sent him an e-mail saying I was looking for the Swiss made Grobett files and he promptly e-mailed me back and told me that he pasted the link so I can order them from the warehouse. The prices I paid are shown below -- shipping was $12 per order no matter how many boxes.

AMERICAN PATTERN TAPER 32447 1 30.78
SAW FILES EXTRA SLIM 6
INCH BOX OF 12

SWISS MADE AMERICAN 32452S 1 81.09
PATTERN TAPER SAW FILES
DOUBLE EXTRA SLIM 6 INCH
BOX OF 12

I think the Swiss made files are definitely better in terms of quality/longevity, but for the price might go to file as the American pattern -- I find the quality for less than half the price of the Swiss made files is tough to beat.

Tony Shea
06-29-2011, 4:10 PM
Back to the simonds, I did check my simonds this morning on the way out the door - they are all red tang files. The old ones are US, and the newer ones are India on the tang.

That's too bad. I hadn't noticed it on the newer ones before, but I haven't used any of the newer ones yet, either, so we'll see how they go. Hopefully they wear a little longer than the mexico nicholsons. Their edges are better, but the teeth don't *look* quite as sharp. Never know how they are until they're in the cut - they don't have to cut super fast for maintaining saws, but it's nice when they do for reshaping teeth on a saw that's out of maintenance.

David, I'd be interested in hearing how the red tangs hold up as well. I've always liked the older red tangs but haven't been able to find any red tangs for years. Where do you get a hold of the newer import version red tangs?

David Weaver
06-29-2011, 4:15 PM
I can't remember if I got them on ebay or if I got them from wenzloff and sons.

Wenzloff uses grobets for small files and simonds for large, at least they did last time I looked at their pages.

Pam Niedermayer
06-29-2011, 4:24 PM

Just be sure and let me know when that is. :)

Pam

george wilson
06-29-2011, 4:34 PM
Can't you tell?

Leigh Betsch
06-30-2011, 8:25 AM
So Amazon e-mailed me this morning, they want me to buy more files at $4 / pack. Looks like MSC and Hugo's are still selling them cheap.

george wilson
06-30-2011, 8:47 AM
The latest: Amazon sent me an Email. It offered 5" Nicholson extra slim taper triangular files from MSC for $6.36,QUANTITY APPARENTLY 1,but savings were said to be $57.17. How could that be? Shipping was $6.57,more than the file cost. I was unable to leave a product review urging them to please get their act together on pricing these silly files. The whole mess just keeps going on at Amazon. Someone's sales gerbils do not know what they are doing.

David Weaver
06-30-2011, 8:56 AM
Well, my files and gary's files can't be too far off.

I got a couple of files yesterday, but when I opened the box, they were old us-made nicholson swiss pattern pillar files. Close but not quite!

george wilson
06-30-2011, 9:00 AM
David,at least they were old USA ! Pillars are useful.

David Weaver
06-30-2011, 9:10 AM
David,at least they were old USA ! Pillars are useful.

I couldn't remember ordering them at first, but I'm sure when I did, the advertisement said they were made in the US. I thought I ordered grobets, but I have some grobet swiss barrettes coming soon. It's hard to find good swiss pattern files cheap - especially ones that are big enough to be useful on tools, but there have been a bunch on ebay for about $7-$10 lately. The grobet swiss files are still a little better made than the nicholson usa swiss pattern files if the ones I got yesterday are an indication of quality, but they are still good for the price considering big grobets are $20-$30 each depending on what you get if you buy them new.

David Weaver
06-30-2011, 9:57 AM
Looked at two of the simonds saw files (US vs. India) last night, and I would say that the US files don't look quite as nice as the nicholson US files did, and the india files look better than the nicholson mexico files. In fact, without looking at the stamp on the tang of the file, i wouldn't be able to tell the india and US files apart. I think I might have a saw to rehab this weekend, so I'll try the india simonds out, but I think given that the wenzloff's are using them on their large saws (the simonds india), they must be OK.

Leigh Betsch
06-30-2011, 9:58 AM
5" Nicholson extra slim taper triangular files from MSC for $6.36,QUANTITY APPARENTLY 1,

George if the offer made to you is the same as the one they made to me this morning, if you dig down further in the detail it said quantity 12. It was hard to find. I didn't order again, still waiting for my first order, or at least the part that wasn't cancelled.

george wilson
06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll have to look again. I only saw quantity 1,but I don't want to play their game again and get concerned about being canceled like everyone else. WHY can't they get things straight? This has been going on for several days now.

I looked again,and it said the weight was .6 oz. That HAS to be 1 file. Gary on the next page says he ordered from MSC and got 1 file. It's going back!! What a hassle!!! I really don't need them,or the bother.

Gary Herrmann
06-30-2011, 12:12 PM
MSC order arrived last night. Pack of 12 described on the page and in the order. I received one file and it's going back.

Paul Saffold
06-30-2011, 6:17 PM
I ordered 2 packs of 12 files from Hugo's. I received 2 files today..... Sent them an email. I'll give them a chance to respond before I go to Amazon.

Daryl Weir
06-30-2011, 9:05 PM
I mainly refurbish vintage saws and I'm tough on files and go through a few. If you can get NOS files like Nicholson, Simonds, Heller, Black Diamond etc. they were good files. The new Nicholsons aren't worth the steel they're made of.

I've tried the Swiss made Grobets and wasn't happy with them. They were just too brittle and the apex was easily lost. Maybe I just got a few bad boxes of files but I didn't want to try any more at the price I paid for them. That was back when b2bproffesionaltools handled the Swiss made american pattern. If you're just touching up a cutting edge these would be fine.

I buy the Bahcos by the box and prefer these over any other I've tried. They are made in Portugal but they are a good hard/tough file, as good as the NOS in my book. I believe Sandvik still provides the blank Swedish steel for the files. I've had one edge last for more than one saw repeatedly and that's reshaping and sharpening on either rips and crosscuts. Alf agreed with when I made this statement on another forum, she said they were like the energizer bunny, they just kept going and going.

I recently bought 4 boxes of the Grobet U.S.A India made files. These were the 4" xx-slim and the 5" xx-slim only because I couldn't get them from Bahco anymore. We'll see how they compare when I get a chance to use them.

Take care,
Daryl

David Weaver
06-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I also got a single file from hugos instead of 6 or 12 or whatever the order quantity was.

I will probably just leave them negative feedback. I'm not going to screw around for an hour packing something, taking it back to the post office, and talking to them to resolve something cheap they should've gotten right.

If it was something larger, I'd give them the chance, but if I send it back, i'm out an hour of my time and nobody knows that they screwed up.

Chris Fournier
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I buy my files from a local machine tooling supplier. I buy them by the dozen and I've really given up on Nicholson. I far prefer Grobert. I don't look for amazing deals, I look for good files. Trying to sharpen my good handsaws with cheap or inferior files is not worth it and certainly won't amount to any savings in the long run.

george wilson
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
As I mentioned,IF I had to in the future,and couldn't get decently hard files any more,I'd pack them in charcoal and case harden them in my electric furnace,then draw then slightly to add a little toughness.This would only work if the import files at least had decently formed teeth.

David Weaver
07-01-2011, 10:22 AM
All of the brand name files do have decently formed teeth (nicholsons included), they're just not as good as they were on the old nicholsons. On the simonds I have, they seem to be equivalent, and I have had Grobet usa files, I think, and they were also OK.

The ones that have really given me fits are the ones that machine tool supply shops sell as "high quality house brand file, sharp and just as good as brand name files!!".

I ordered 3 of those from a place that I got simonds files from last year, and they were too dull to cut brand new. They looked OK at a cursory glance (better than the chinese files that come out of harbor freight), but they were just horrible.

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Ironically, Unbeatable Sales canceled my order for 6 file handles for $2.97, but I received a dozen 6" slim files from them last night.

If I look for the logic in this whole thing, I'm going to hurt myself.

And, MSC being the class act that they are, apologized for the inconvenience, immediately refunded my money and told me to keep the file for my trouble.

Tony Shea
07-01-2011, 2:20 PM
Daryl Weir

I mainly refurbish vintage saws and I'm tough on files and go through a few. If you can get NOS files like Nicholson, Simonds, Heller, Black Diamond etc. they were good files. The new Nicholsons aren't worth the steel they're made of.

I've tried the Swiss made Grobets and wasn't happy with them. They were just too brittle and the apex was easily lost. Maybe I just got a few bad boxes of files but I didn't want to try any more at the price I paid for them. That was back when b2bproffesionaltools handled the Swiss made american pattern. If you're just touching up a cutting edge these would be fine.

I buy the Bahcos by the box and prefer these over any other I've tried. They are made in Portugal but they are a good hard/tough file, as good as the NOS in my book. I believe Sandvik still provides the blank Swedish steel for the files. I've had one edge last for more than one saw repeatedly and that's reshaping and sharpening on either rips and crosscuts. Alf agreed with when I made this statement on another forum, she said they were like the energizer bunny, they just kept going and going.

I recently bought 4 boxes of the Grobet U.S.A India made files. These were the 4" xx-slim and the 5" xx-slim only because I couldn't get them from Bahco anymore. We'll see how they compare when I get a chance to use them.

Take care,
Daryl

Hey Daryl where can one purchase some of these Bahco files? Did a quick search and just came up with a couple weird sites that really didn't look that reliable.

Daryl Weir
07-01-2011, 6:03 PM
Hey Tony,

I bought some extra boxes a while back with ideas of offering them to people to try out.

PM me and I can give you some information.

Take care,
Daryl

Tony Shea
07-01-2011, 6:31 PM
I have a chance to buy a box of 12 6" x-slim taper USA made Nicholson files for $36. Does this sound like a reasonable price for these files? And do these USA made Nicholsons out perform most files that I can get now a days?

David Weaver
07-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes, that's a useful size to have around. The US made nicholson files are very good files.

Shawn Stennett
07-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah David, I just received my one in the mail from them today as well.

Leigh Betsch
07-02-2011, 10:00 AM
My one file came yesterday. Maybe I'll get one a day for 12 days!

Ron Conlon
07-06-2011, 9:43 AM
Just got back from vacation to find that my files had also been damaged in ToolTech's warehouse and the order cancelled. That must be a pretty leaky roof.

george wilson
07-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Damaged in whse. is their #1 excuse,if you read their feedback.

David Weaver
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I got one last one last week that I don't think I mentioned.

Quality distributing sent me a bill that said very clearly on it "nichoson x-slim 6" file - pack of 6", quantity 2.

In the bag, two files, regardless of what the bill said. I guess nobody reads orders. They probably don't think they have time to.

I'm not going to bother to contact them, same as prior, just negative feedback.

This is not the first time some screwup in amazon's info system has wasted my time, but it's the first time it was for what appeared to be a possible discount deal. I buy stuff from them less and less often lately, it's easier just to figure out who listed on amazon and then just go to that manufacturer's site. This is probably the third or fourth time, maybe more, that orders didn't come through right either through amazon or through a third party listing on amazon.

Pam Niedermayer
07-06-2011, 1:41 PM
...This is not the first time some screwup in amazon's info system has wasted my time, but it's the first time it was for what appeared to be a possible discount deal. I buy stuff from them less and less often lately, it's easier just to figure out who listed on amazon and then just go to that manufacturer's site. This is probably the third or fourth time, maybe more, that orders didn't come through right either through amazon or through a third party listing on amazon.

The only time this has happened before was also with files. Seems to me this is a problem for hardware vendors only, and I'd hesitate to make judgements globally.

Pam

David Weaver
07-06-2011, 2:03 PM
I had it happen with amazon themselves. Twice with grip tites, back when I had a TS and used it.

They charged me for an entire grip tite system twice, and both times, I only got one of the little magnetic clamps. Both times, I had to waste time tracking down a return label, calling their service department to explain they had labeled the boxes wrong and were shipping a single featherboard with the label for an entire system. That at the time was $35 vs. about $130.

The second time I called when I had the wrong one, I told them I didn't know if I wanted to go for another round because they were still labeled wrong and they informed me that regardless of what I wanted to do, by policy I would be barred from making any future orders, even if they got the SKU corrected, since I had "returned the item twice" (even though I only returned it because they sent me a $35 part of a $130 item).

They aren't necessarily the low price player any longer, anyway, so there's no great reason to deal with the hassle.

There are others, too, one that caused me to take an extra day off of work trying to figure out where something was, but there's no reason to go into extra detail.

Daryl Weir
07-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm late at getting back with some information on the Nicholson files. I've attached some pictures of two different eras of Nicholson boxes. The older ones have a different label and are made in Providence Rhode Island. The newer ones are marketed as Cooper Tools U.S.A.

Now the later ones where still made in the U.S.A but the quality can range from good to poor. So made in U.S.A on these doesn't mean everything. Stick with the older box style if you can run across them.

Take care,
Daryl

201973 201974