PDA

View Full Version : New here, from the bottom of the world..

Emma austin
06-23-2011, 5:51 AM
Hi everyone,
I am so glad to find this forum, I have spent many hours reading over the past week.
I own and run a laser cutting business from home, here in New Zealand. I am self taught, and still have so much to learn. My 'real' job is as a firefighter, and my husband also works full time. We have two girls under 2, so are busy busy people!!!
My business is at the moment aimed at Weddings and events. We make a lot of invitations, favours, name placings etc out of acrylic and wood. We also have quite a large shaped mirror selection (popular for kids - fairies, butterflies etc..)
Also have started making painted MDF letters for kids bedrooms, which are a lot of fun and look great :)
I am looking forward to trying lots of new things that I see on this site, including cermark etc..
One thing I seem to get the feeling of on this site, is that not many people cut much?
I certainly cut more that I engrave. I have a great acrylics fabricator just down the road, and use a lot of acrylic.
We certainly don't have the number of laser machines here that I read about around the rest of the world (USA mainly). Certainly don't see them for sale or have access to cheapies.

I look forward to getting to know all of you more, and coming here for help no doubt.
I am not sure how to make a signature like everyone seems to have, but I have a second hand Universal 50watt, and use Corel X5.

Jiten Patel
06-23-2011, 6:20 AM
Hi Emma,

Welcome to the Creek. Great source for knowledge. I run a Wedding Stationery business. I would love to see the work you do for wedding and events. Do you have a website (DM me).

Also to change your signature, go to setting (top right of page) and on the left there is "Edit Signature".

Mike Null
06-23-2011, 6:35 AM
Emma

Welcome to SMC. Jit has given you the scoop on the signature but if you have any problems just mention it and one of us will lend a hand.

I do a lot of cutting, by the way, but after I do the engraving on signs, labels and name tags. I also make a lot of wood inserts for one customer and they are engraved then cut out of 1/8" thick cherry.

Rodne Gold
06-23-2011, 6:50 AM
Welcome , Im also from the "bottom of the world" , South Africa. There are plenty people that cut and engrave , I do about equal the amount of both, It depends on your market niche what you do most of.

Emma austin
06-23-2011, 7:03 AM
Thanks guys :)
Jit I have seen your website, you have some gorgeous designs. My company is called redfusion, add a .co.nz to the end.
We haven't got in to paper designs at all, we don't have any printing capabilities and the acrylic and wood works well for us so far.

Jiten Patel
06-23-2011, 7:43 AM
Hi Emma,

Very nice stuff. Love the candelabra design. Just an idea, but how about offsetting the path and cutting it out with the design engraved and cut into it. Just extent the base to balance it....think it will look incredible.

Emma austin
06-23-2011, 8:00 AM
Thanks for the compliement. Yes the candlelabra is a weird one, I never even knew what they were but started getting rea
requests. I will have to put some time in to them.
I am hoping to update the website by the end of the year, have a dedicated corporate branding and event section, and had our painted letters and a few other childrens products displayed.

Larry Bratton
06-23-2011, 9:01 AM
Welcome to the forum Emma. Very nice website!
I too live at the bottom of the world...not geographically as you...but I think I live in a place that has the least appreciation of a laser's capabilities on the planet. Anyway, that's another story. I probably cut more with my machine than I engrave. Looks like you have developed a nice line of products indeed. We're glad to have you as a member!

Jiten Patel
06-23-2011, 9:56 AM
Dont get me wrong, I think they are a great idea.

When is NZ are you? We were there a few years back. 5 weeks touring around. Loved it. South Island is incredible.

Belinda Barfield
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Welcome Emma! Nice website. I like the candleabra also. Thanks also for doing your day job!

Emma austin
06-23-2011, 2:42 PM
Jit, I am in Wellington. The south island is gorgeous, I haven't seen enough of it, even though I went to university in christchurch! Shame you didn't get to experience that city, I don't see how it will ever recover from the earthquakes.
Thanks Belinda, I love being a firefighter. It is almost a year since being on the trucks though! As soon as you get pregnant you are on light duties, and now I am off on maternity leave. I had only been back at work 6 months from my first birth! So am certainly looking forward to getting back again in another 4-5 months

Rowan Hay
06-26-2011, 2:29 AM
Hi Emma,
I also live in New Zealand and have a laser. Visited your website.... very nice. Looking at the contact page I see your phone
number starts with 586, putting you in the Hutt Valley Area. I live in Lower Hutt, so if you every need to sort out problems , share ideas or laser frustrations, just yell out.

Rowan Hay

Emma austin
06-26-2011, 2:42 AM
Hi Rowan. Wow small world huh, out of all the posters from around the world you live in the same suburb as me ;)
Freaking freezing tonight isn't it!
What sort of things do you do with your laser?

Rowan Hay
06-27-2011, 1:26 AM
Hi Emma,
all sorts of different things. Its been a huge learning curve as to what works, what doesn't. also getting, making and trying
different designs can chew up a lot of time. But its all good and making things for people especially kids is a real buzz.
Next you'll want to play around with Leds and thats a blast.

Ken Shea
06-27-2011, 9:37 AM
Another welcome to SMC Emma.

I am likely the least experiences presently on the site, consequently not much help at this point but to offer some welcomes and a few pat on the backs for well done work.

Agreed, you show some very nice work on your site with clear evidence of artistic talent.

That may be my biggest obstacle :(l
and my wife is not much better :D

Ken

Dean Fowell
06-28-2011, 8:47 PM
Hey Emma,

Welcome Im from taranaki, how is the laser work over there.