PDA

View Full Version : Extra parts for shoe measuring sticks I made

george wilson
06-22-2011, 11:19 PM
I posted these 2 shoe measuring sticks that I made for the Shoemaker's Shop in the museum before. I have these extra parts that I never completed. They might be of interest to see in progress. Beautiful boxwood.

I think I enjoy working with boxwood better than any other wood. It can take such detail,and is nearly grainless. You can carve it in just about any direction.

The original was made in france in the 17th.,or 18th.C. I made both the completed sticks,but the brown one was used for some years before I finally got begged into making another. They used shoe polish on it to make it look like the original,and because their hands always have shoe polish on them anyway,the sticks would end up stained in any event.

The brass pins denote sizes. The sticks slide open for adult sizes,and are used telescoped shut for children's. On end,the sticks look like the red "hourglass" on the black widow spider. They slide through each other,and are stopped by 1/8" diameter pins set near the ends.

The odd placement of some of the brass pins,and the "V"'s and X's are exactly copied from the original. I cannot explain what some of them mean. The shoemaker was happy,so I guess they are known to him.

george wilson
06-24-2011, 9:52 PM
I think I must have made these from some of the large boxwood I have.It is very pretty boxwood with a nice creamy yellow color,and tiny growth rings.