PDA

View Full Version : Double GLOAT for me

Donny Lawson
06-22-2011, 9:22 PM
We had a rough storm over last weekend and that created ALOT of downed trees. I've got way too much wood now but I brought this Walnut home. I would probally have passed this up but it came from a historical site a few minutes from where I work. The site was started in 1840 and it still stands today. I was invited in and the lady in charge said she hated to see the wood go to waste and I told her I would make something to go in the museum. While I was there we talked about the property and since I have another hobby (Metal detecting) I asked for permission to hunt and she said "yes".,so with a Historical site this old I'm bound to find something. I did a double score on this one.

David E Keller
06-22-2011, 9:25 PM
Nice score, Donny! Looks like there's a heavy band of sapwood on those pieces which should give you some design opportunities.

Harry Robinette
06-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Nice gloat Donny, let us know what the detector brings.

Jim Burr
06-22-2011, 10:20 PM
You're going to be a busy guy!! Nice haul Donny!!

Michael James
06-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Dang...if it wasn't for all that humidity and the job thing...I'd move down there and help you harvest all this stuff! :)

Dick Wilson
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Donny, Make sure you turn something for her...I always do

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Donny, That has a very dark center and the wide band of sapwood like Dr. Dave said is nice for conrast pieces. You can gloat anytime with a haul like that!

Have fun,

Jeff

dennis kranz
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
The wood looks great should make some very nice bowls. But I would also like to know how the detecting goes.
Dennis

Kathy Marshall
06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Nice gloat! I see some nice pieces coming out of that!

Donny Lawson
06-23-2011, 6:50 AM
I've seen so many trees down since the weekend I'm tired of looking at wood. Last Saturday evening we had a bad storm with straight line winds of 60 plus mph and we had trees down all over the city. I was called in at 6pm to help with the clean up and worked until 2am Sunday. I then came home and went back in at 8am and worked all day. There are still trees and brush everywhere.We have been hauling trees as fast as the tractor can load them. Big beautiful Maple,Oaks and a ton of Cedar. It's all going to the mulch pile:( but I cannot bring it all home. I did talk to a guy with a nice double Maple in his yard and he said I could have it. I really don't need any of it but if I can I will swing by and get some. This is a friend of mine cutting a very large Oak. He is useing a 36" bar on that saw.