PDA

View Full Version : In St. Paul

Bob Bergstrom
06-22-2011, 9:16 PM
Took me 2 1/2 hours to go 70 miles from Chicago to Rockford( love all that federal money to rebuild Illinois roads). Also a 3 mile back up for a truck in the ditch. It rained off and on all the way. Went for a walk to the River Center in the rain. Couldn't find any poster or signage about the symposium, but I found the River centre and a whole bunch of tables that have to be the instant gallery. I talked to a security guard and all he knew was that the NHL draft is Fri. and Sat. and the arena is sold out at 16,900 seats. There are people already here for that. Things could be tight when trying to find a place to eat outside of the centre. I'm in the Holiday Inn, on 7th. and Kelloge.

John M. Smith
06-22-2011, 9:24 PM
Leaving tomorrow at 1:30. 1 1/2 hour flight. Be there by 2:00 :-) Flying from Lansing, Michigan. Seen some pics already. Cant wait to get there. It's going to be a blast.

Matt Hutchinson
06-22-2011, 9:35 PM
Yeah, thanks John. Keep rubbing it in. :D

Make sure you take a ridiculous number of photos. Enjoy!

Hutch

Greg Just
06-22-2011, 9:57 PM
I'm 23 miles away and will be there first thing Friday morning.

Bob Bergstrom
06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Foundthe peanut's characters in Rice and Landmark parks in the downtown area. My daughter is a big snoopy fan.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-23-2011, 8:45 AM
I got into St. Paul Wed. afternoon. I'm about 9 blocks from the River Centere & the restaurants are all packed & parking is almost impossible around here already. However I'm still looking forward to the event.

Bob Bergstrom
06-23-2011, 9:05 AM
I'll be at the gallery of wood art from 11 till 2 then my wife is helping with registration so I will be somewhere around there till 7 then I'll be at the videographer's meeting. Hope to meet and great some Creekers.

Jeff Fagen
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
So where are the Creekers meeting for dinner?

Bob Bergstrom
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
i am going to the 7th st. Pizzeria. It is right across from the Holiday Inn and the Excel Energy Center on 7th. st. naturally. Suppose to have good sandwiches and gyros. Will be there about 2

Trevor Howard
06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
And so the torturing begins, on all of us who can't be there. :(

JK have a great time everybody, just post lots of pictures. :D

Alan Trout
06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Just got to my hotel room. Did the public transportation from the airport. Been quite the adventure so far.

Alan

Bob Bergstrom
06-23-2011, 2:22 PM
Just went to seven corners hardware on 7 th. Street. Unbelievable inventory. 2nd.floor all tools. If you are a hardware junkie you gotta see it to believe it. Heading to registration soon.

David Gilbert
06-23-2011, 3:09 PM
I flew in this morning, took the super shuttle into St Paul and checked into the Crowne Plaza. It's about 3 blocks from the River Center. I walked over earlier and saw the trade show area from a distance. Registration starts at 3:00 so I will be over there then. I also have some Instant Gallery pieces and an Empty Bowl donation. I don't think the stickers will be here until tomorrow or later today so it will be hard to tell the Creekers from the others. I guess I'll just stand around in and look like a Creeker.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

Cheers,
David

Jon Nuckles
06-23-2011, 3:10 PM
Color me jealous. I remember 7 corners hardware fondly from my time in the Twin Cities. Enjoy St. Paul, but also spend some time in Minneapolis if you can. Lots to see and do.

Jeff Nicol
06-23-2011, 3:18 PM
Hey all, I just had a visit from the SHOP POLICE chief inspector Mr. John Keeton and his wife Eileen, he wanted to make sure that I was turning over a new leaf and learning how to clean my shop in the proper manner! I guess I passed muster and he left with a bunch of wood to help me out with my cleaning, or lack there of. It was a first meeting of many that will take place this weekend of fellow creekers. I am packing up and getting ready to head out to Saint Paul, I will be staying with my daughter and her family for the weekend, about a 15 minute ride away.....hopefully if the traffic is not bad, I may have to leave a bit early to find parking. Good shoes in case I have to walk 1/2 a mile!

See you all there, and for those who can't attend we will take in all we can and post a ZILLION pictures!!!!

Jeff

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-23-2011, 3:45 PM
Jeff,
I just looked at a map and realized you are only a couple hours away from St Paul. John and his wife made a bit of a detour to meet up with you but I'm sure it was worth it. Enjoy the show. Lots of Creekers will be delighted to shake hands with the guy who built work aides for many of them.
faust

Jeff Fagen
06-23-2011, 3:51 PM
Jeff,I don't believe you cleaned your shop for anyone but I do believe you bribed the police.Hope to see you guys there.

Bob Bergstrom
06-23-2011, 4:34 PM
Lines for registration are growing by the minute. The vendor's area is a giant candy store. I am on my iPad and can't send any pics but will when I get to my laptop

Greg Just
06-23-2011, 4:40 PM
So where are the Creekers meeting for dinner?

If you are asking about Saturday night, we are meeting at 6:00 at:Great Waters Brewing Company @ 426 St. Peter Street

www.greatwatersbc.com (http://www.greatwatersbc.com)

John Keeton
06-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I am happy to report that Jeff Nicol's shop DID pass inspection!! I do have proof in the form of pics, but will not be able to upload them until I return home. A full report will be made! I will say that it was a great visit - more to come.

Rick Markham
06-24-2011, 2:24 AM
I am happy to report that Jeff Nicol's shop DID pass inspection!! I do have proof in the form of pics, but will not be able to upload them until I return home. A full report will be made! I will say that it was a great visit - more to come.

I told him not to let you clean anything up John!

Glad y'all have made it safely. All of you better go to the next one... I want to shake your hands!

Justin Stephen
06-24-2011, 7:51 PM
i am going to the 7th st. Pizzeria. It is right across from the Holiday Inn and the Excel Energy Center on 7th. st. naturally. Suppose to have good sandwiches and gyros. Will be there about 2

Ate there for lunch today based on some reviews online, pretty decent gyro. May go back and get the pizza tomorrow.

I haven't had any troubles parking thus far at the open lot at the end of the Kellogg offramp. $6 for 12 hours, a bit cheaper than the River Centre lots.

Greg Just
06-24-2011, 8:04 PM
Ate there for lunch today based on some reviews online, pretty decent gyro. May go back and get the pizza tomorrow.

I haven't had any troubles parking thus far at the open lot at the end of the Kellogg offramp. $6 for 12 hours, a bit cheaper than the River Centre lots.

Justin:

I parked at Kellogg and Smith today for $5. It was upto $15 when I left for the NHL Draft.

Scott Hackler
06-24-2011, 9:05 PM
Just got back from a full day of the symposium and boy are my dogs barking. Met a BUNCH of Creekers face to face, met and took a picture with David Ellsworth and Trent Bosch. I was so busy chit chatting with Creekers that I forgot to attend two of the demos I had marked down!!! Lol. Good time so far and very humbling to see the quality of work on display.

Justin Stephen
06-24-2011, 9:05 PM
Justin:

I parked at Kellogg and Smith today for $5. It was upto $15 when I left for the NHL Draft.

Yeah, the open lot near there went from $6 to $25. The shorter walk (I was able to park right by the light at 7th and Kellogg) was worth the extra buck.

I chatted with a pretty talkative ticket scalper outside the arena and said that the draft stuff starts again tomorrow at 10:00am but that only about one-tenth as many people would be there tomorrow. Almost all of the brouhaha is tonight. It isn't going on on Sunday at all.

I am staying out by Mall of America. I ate in downtown Minneapolis last night (very good Indian joint). Alas, I was rewarded with my first parking ticket in about 20 years for the effort. It was a metered space but I didn't get there until after 8:00 so it didn't even occur to me that the meters would still be "live" that late. It seems that at least some Minneapolis parking meters run until 10:00pm on weeknights. My fault for not noticing but that is still pretty lame.