PDA

View Full Version : Cedar bowl PLUS

Scott Hackler
06-22-2011, 8:43 PM
Here is a little dude I just finished up for the trip to St Paul. size is approx... (I already packed it and am guessing) 6 1/2" x 4". Pierced area is around 3/32" thick. Tung oil and hand rubbed paste wax.

Thanks and comment away! :)

John Keeton
06-22-2011, 8:50 PM
Scott, you are really getting into this piercing thing!! Very "tight" pattern on this one, and I bet that was a clincher to do without breaking out the pattern. Nice work, and a very interesting design.

Now, quit turning and get packed!!

Donny Lawson
06-22-2011, 8:54 PM
Excellent work.

John Hart
06-22-2011, 9:20 PM
The wormy pattern of the piercing is great! Overall, this is very appealing, Scott. I like the coloration of the cedar as well. Just plain cool. :)

David E Keller
06-22-2011, 9:24 PM
That's pretty cool, Scott! Lots of potential shapes and variations for the pierced portion. It gives me some ideas for a pierced piece... Someday. Have fun on the trip!

Harry Robinette
06-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Scott
I really like this piece, wood,work,shape,piercing everything flows together I like this piece.

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
This reminds me of something but I can't figure out what it is. It's right there at the front of my mind but I can't put a finger on it. I hate it when that happens! For right now, I'll just say that this is a very interesting application of piercing. I really like the "mesh like" rim.

Jeff Nicol
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Scott, You are getting very good with the artistiic exspression and the piercing looks very nice, and on cedar which can be brittle you did a fine job!

Can't wait to see it in person,

Jeff

Kathy Marshall
06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Very cool Scott! You're really doing great with the piercing, makes me want to give it a try. Very nice! and I bet the shop smelled great while turning it!

Billy Tallant
06-23-2011, 2:43 AM
Great looking bowl & that piercing really looks difficult. :)

Jon Nuckles
06-23-2011, 3:01 PM
Nice looking piercing, Scott. Have fun in St. Paul.

Tim Rinehart
06-23-2011, 3:37 PM
Really nice piece Scott. I'd say you have a real knack going for this piercing stuff...really creative piece here. Enjoy yourself in St Paul.

James Combs
06-23-2011, 3:49 PM
Very nice but how did you keep the cracks at bay? I don't see anything that looks like one.

bob svoboda
06-23-2011, 5:31 PM
Really nice piece, Scott.

Matt Hutchinson
06-23-2011, 7:03 PM
Scott,

Great looking piece, and very worthy of being shown at the symposium. I really like the fact that the pierced rim is not "full round". Very nice piece, and exemplary piercing. Have fun in MN!

Hutch

Scott Hackler
06-23-2011, 8:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I just hope my swap partner at the WoW swap feels the same! This isn't one of the three I brought for the instant gallery.

James there aren't any cracks and all of my cedar ends up without any. I trim the ends to unchecked wood, rough to 10% and do the dna soak method. Works extremely well for me so far. And as a bonus, most of the cedar rough outs only oval about an 1/8"!

We just got into St Paul. Boy 11 hours in an F150 is enough! Me and the Mrs are going to hit the Hard Rock for dinner and then CRASH at the hotel!

James Combs
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Hackler;1727941... James there aren't any cracks and all of my cedar ends up without any. I trim the ends to unchecked wood, rough to 10% and do the dna soak method. Works extremely well for me so far. And as a bonus, most of the cedar rough outs only oval about an 1/8"!

We just got into St Paul. Boy 11 hours in an F150 is enough! Me and the Mrs are going to hit the Hard Rock for dinner and then CRASH at the hotel![/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott I guess the biggest part of my problem is the small size of the log I have. It already has cracks from the outside into the pith area in a lot of spots. I will get me a larger log and use the DNA soak and see how it goes.

Dennis Simmons
06-24-2011, 7:47 AM
[QUOTE=David DeCristoforo;1727071]This reminds me of something but I can't figure out what it is. It's right there at the front of my mind but I can't put a finger on it. I hate it when that happens! For right now, I'll just say that this is a very interesting application of piercing. I really like the "mesh like" rim.[/QUOTE

Turn it upside down, it is a helmet, used on the star ship enterprise!!