PDA

View Full Version : No. 38 - Spalted Maple HF w/BlkWalnut Burl

James Combs
06-22-2011, 7:16 PM
This is the first "larger" item using my new vacuum stabilization process using Mesquite Man's Cactus Juice. I rough turned it to shape (and rough is an understatement due to the severe punkiness). Vacuumed it down to no bubbles in bath of the juice, vac gauge red 293.5"Hg, released the vacuum and let is soak for 30 min. Baked it for 45 min at 225°, finished turned it and here is the results"

Stats:
Material = Spalted Maple w/Walnut base and finial base. Finial is Walnut Burl.
Height = 8-7/8" to tip of finial
Diameter = 4" at widest point.
Wall Thickness = 3/16"-1/4"
Opening = 2"
Finish = 1 Coat Deft Sanding Sealer + 2 Coats Deft rattle can Lacquer.

Turning it:
Like the pen I turned earlier it turned with a lot of dust.:confused: The surface was good and smooth requiring 220g only in a few places and for the rest of it I got by with 320. The treatment seems to turn the punky wood into a good tunable media but it cuts like you might think chalk would. The chalk dust will scrape off nicely but it is dust.:eek:

C&C Requested & Welcomed

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2011, 7:38 PM
Looks like your vac system is doing the job. I've tried to turn spalted maple that was that punky and it's no picnic! I do think the lid is a bit heavy for this. Maybe just a bit too much wood between the maple form and the finial. I like it best in the pic where the lid is off.

John Keeton
06-22-2011, 8:39 PM
Very interesting piece, JD, and looks like you are having fun with the new toy.

Jim Burr
06-22-2011, 9:03 PM
Pretty cool trick JD! I really like your finish...based on your sanding descripition...your new method saves some time and effort!

David E Keller
06-22-2011, 9:13 PM
Very cool that you were able to save that pretty maple! I'm with DD on the lid/finial... It seems to compete a bit with the beautiful spalting. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with using this vac system.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you figure you spent in stabilizing solution for that particular piece of maple? I'm just wondering how pricey it is to do larger pieces like this.

Don Alexander
06-22-2011, 9:25 PM
after all the time i've spent the last couple of weeks sanding/stabilising/sanding/stabilising/sanding ............... some punky ambrosia maple salad bowls i am very interested in your results, James

awesome spalted maple and definitely worth saving

Harry Robinette
06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I like it,I think you have the system working pretty good.Keep up the work there looking good.

James Combs
06-23-2011, 2:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated.:)

Looks like your vac system is doing the job. I've tried to turn spalted maple that was that punky and it's no picnic! I do think the lid is a bit heavy for this. Maybe just a bit too much wood between the maple form and the finial. I like it best in the pic where the lid is off.

David D./David K. I knew the finial was heavy going in but it is a gift for a sister. She had asked me some time back to "sell" her my "Aladdin's Other Lamp" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?139575-No.-5-Spalted-Maple-w-Walnut-Finial&highlight= but I had already sold it. It also was "finial heavy". Since I try not to duplicate pieces I made one that was similar and heavy in the finial for her.

Very cool that you were able to save that pretty maple! I'm with DD on the lid/finial... It seems to compete a bit with the beautiful spalting. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with using this vac system.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you figure you spent in stabilizing solution for that particular piece of maple? I'm just wondering how pricey it is to do larger pieces like this.

David, I will have to see how far my current half gallon goes. I just soak and baked an eight inch bowl and it seem to take quite a bit. I will try to do some extrapolation and let you know the cost.

Baxter Smith
06-23-2011, 6:37 AM
Pretty spalted piece of maple. I like the color combo and it fits the look you were after.