PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo (Matching Tie and Handkerchief)

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2011, 6:56 PM
OK… I know… it's another one. I had the idea for this when I was trying for a pink color and ended up bleaching the wood before applying the color. I kinda liked the way the white wood looked so I thought I would try a "black and white" one.

This is , technically, my best piece yet. Most of my previous stuff has suffered from a lack of expertise and has been flawed by small bits of tearout and tool marks, This one has none of that. I'm thinking that this is partly due to my finally "getting a grip" on the tools and how they work. I am also very pleased with the way the Glaser oval "Bob Stocksdale" gouge performs. The deep flute and long, swept back wings along with what I am thinking is "proper technique" are just the ticket for taking a fine, cleanup cut. Watching the almost translucent spray of shavings coming off the edge of the tool as it rides down into the bell of the top flare is so satisfying! I'm sure that any even mildly accomplished turner could make such a cut with their eyes closed using any decent quality, properly sharpened tool. But for me, this has been one of those euphonious moments that let you know you might be finally getting the idea.

I have also had some trouble getting the elements of the pedestals aligned properly. On this one, I used some different chucking methods that resulted in a perfect alignment. I was so satisfied with the overall end result that I even polished up the bottom of the pedestal, something I have not really bothered with in the past.

I offer no comment about the design of this piece. That I will leave to others. But as a turned object, this is the best I've done so far.

Also, a few people asked for pics from the top on a few of the last ones. So here's looking in...

Harvey Ghesser
06-22-2011, 7:03 PM
Simply outstanding!! I love it!! Just beautiful, David!

Dick Wilson
06-22-2011, 7:08 PM
Very nice piece David

Tim Thiebaut
06-22-2011, 7:41 PM
Wow David that is amazing! Its one thing to hollow through a tiny hole on a hollow vessel when you have somewhat easy access to the hole, but you raised the bar by putting the hole half way into the piece...and then hollowing it! The contrasting wood is beautiful.

John Hart
06-22-2011, 7:43 PM
Well, I just gotta say....This is just magnificent, David!! I am overwhelmed. First off, you have incorporated all the elements that impress me most about your signature pieces....the elegance, the motion, and the obvious difficulty-level. But to top it off, you've captured a motif that just screams "Class".

I'm talkin' Screams it!!!

Oh...and I like it too. :)

David Warkentin
06-22-2011, 7:50 PM
Beautimus. Just beautimus.

robert raess
06-22-2011, 8:05 PM
David..there are a no. of things about this pc. i find fetching.The B&W contrast,The very thin stem of the pedestal,the shape of the 'flower',the live edge..I'm sure reaching into hollow it with the live edge whirling about kept you focused.The no. one thing that drew me in was.. the white bead, that at a distance makes the flower look like it's floating..great job

Alan Trout
06-22-2011, 8:14 PM
David,

I like it as always.

Good work

Alan

Gary Conklin
06-22-2011, 8:15 PM
Kudos, DD. This piece takes the cake!

Scott Hackler
06-22-2011, 8:16 PM
Outstanding David. I agree with you, this is your best one to date. I don't offer any critiques becuase there aren't any needed. Great work.

John Keeton
06-22-2011, 8:35 PM
There can be no negatives to this one, David - just an excellent piece of work. You have this style downpat, and as you stated, you have refined your technique. The contrast of the bleached wood and black is striking.

However, I have serious complaints about the pics - TOO SMALL! These images are simply too small to appreciate the beautiful work you have done. Is there some way you can post images that are closer to the 107KB max size? One of these images is 16KB and the other is 12KB.

Rick Markham
06-22-2011, 9:28 PM
Outstanding! (a vast understatement...) I agree bigger pics!! Your just teasing us here in the cheap seats!!! Honestly, this one and your Flamingo 2.0 are my recent favorites, That form, really is stunning, and it's transition is flawless. The sphere in the center of the pedestal is the perfect touch. Simple elegance. Amazing lines. The bleached burl looks spectacular. Bravo!!!

David E Keller
06-22-2011, 9:33 PM
Very cool! There are so many elements to enjoy on this piece, but I think my favorite is the touch of black along the rim of the natural edge... It just ties the whole thing together for me. I'm glad you enjoyed the process on this one, but I appreciate it for its aesthetic qualities. I also appreciate your use of the word 'euphonious'... I had to look it up, but it's a very appropriate descriptor.

Matt Hutchinson
06-22-2011, 9:40 PM
Another great piece David! I really have enjoyed seeing your work, and the progression of your forms, ideas, and skill. Very encouraging and inspiring!

Next step: Del Mano. :D

Hutch

Don Alexander
06-22-2011, 9:45 PM
its obvious that the shop cleanup project has vastly improved your turning .......................... oh wait a minute .............................. the turning was always outstanding :D:D:D

i have 1 word for you DD ... SPECTACULAR!!

Erik Johanson
06-22-2011, 9:49 PM
I truely look forward to seeing your next piece each time it comes out. For someone who claims to only have mild abilities at the lathe your work is outstanding. On a side note I love what you did with your lathe, it looks like an old Rockwell/Delta and looks almost identical to the one I have in my classroom (Minus the awesome paint job). Keep up the great work I look forward to your next piece.

Paulo Marin
06-22-2011, 9:51 PM
I absolutely agree with John Keeton. The pictures SHOULD be much bigger.

I did a little research and visited David's website, and to my astonishing, I found out that he is the son of Romeo John DeCristoforo, considered the "Dean of Writers of Woodworking".

Most children of famous personalities grow with the fear of being "shadowed" by their famous parents.

Well, you will NEVER have that problem. Your father would be absolutely proud of your complete understanding of form, balance, creativity and technique.

Congratulations for this wonderful piece David! You are truly an ARTIST!...

-paulo Marin
--------------------------
enjoy life... it's later than you think!

cal thelen
06-22-2011, 9:59 PM
That is simply beautiful. love the contrasting colors

Dane Fuller
06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Jaw Dropping! Is there an emoticon for that? If I ever turn wood half this beautiful, I will be overly satisfied.

When turning the stems for your pedestals, do you use a steady rest or just your hand?

Harry Robinette
06-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Outstanding, simply Outstanding

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanx for the kind words, folks. sorry about the pic size thing. Here's a bigger pic (at least I think it's bigger!)

"...I love what you did with your lathe, it looks like an old Rockwell/Delta..."

That's because it is an old rockwell/Delta!!!

Michael James
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Speechless.... You outdid yourself on this one! I know that just the right guitar for the tune can be inspiring, so no doubt having "THE" tool makes a difference here too.
mj

Ed Morgano
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
David,
It's amazing what a little paint job and one new tool can do. :D I've always liked and admired your work but this one stands out. Looking forward to our next inspiration.

Kathy Marshall
06-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Just spectacular David! I love the contrast and as Robert said, the white bead make the flower appear to float. All of your pieces have been beautiful, but the form on this one seems especially "just right".

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2011, 11:57 PM
David, I have to say you found your niche in world of spinny things! The contrast is spot on and the flared necks are a thing that I have done many times on larger vases and they have sold well so far. How much is this one going to go on the shelf for????? Hint hint my birthday is in Sept maybe a group gifting for my 50th b-day?

Beautiful, just beautiful,

Jeff

Michelle Rich
06-23-2011, 6:26 AM
truly elegant..I love the white/black I would probably also like the colors reversed. Grand piece

Donny Lawson
06-23-2011, 6:33 AM
David, that is some great work. I've often wondered, How much time it takes to make a piece like that? It looks hard to me.,since I would have broke it and probally throwed it across the shop. You have a good tallent.

Baxter Smith
06-23-2011, 6:42 AM
Very refined David. I never would have thought a little white ball could make that much of an impact!

Kurt Barker
06-23-2011, 7:17 AM
Wow! Speechless & in awe!

(Ya gotta believe this is going to end up on a magazine cover...)

Best,

ktb

Roger Chandler
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
David,

Your lines really flow on this one.........the transition between the top of the pedestal and the bulb, is I think the best of all you have done [this observation from my memory] While I like the colorations of the previous forms, I think I do agree with your own critique about this one being technically the best.....

Your skills surely do shine.........beautifully done pedestal .........."distinctly DeCristoforo."

Roger Chandler
06-23-2011, 1:44 PM
Just came in from lunch and had a thought about this series that David D. has done over the last few months..........would it be possible for either David or the mods to put together a post with all the pics of this series side by side, to show both the colorations, adaptations of the form, and the progression of the series..........

I just think that would be a really cool and informative display that would be very interesting...........and David, if you did it, you might add a narrative that explained the differences, and what your thinking was as you were producing each piece in the series..........

I suppose it would take you a bit of time to do it, but a series of pics and narrative might add up to a tutorial par 'excellence!

Tim Thiebaut
06-23-2011, 1:58 PM
Wow! Speechless & in awe!

(Ya gotta believe this is going to end up on a magazine cover...)

Best,

ktb

Your right Kurt, this should be a cover piece!

kenneth walker
06-23-2011, 2:42 PM
I love the color and shape. Great job David

David DeCristoforo
06-23-2011, 2:53 PM
Slammed today. But just a sec to say thanx to all for the comments...

Jon Nuckles
06-23-2011, 3:21 PM
Another great one, and it is nice to see you post a piece that you are happy with after you finish it! ;) It has been a little upsetting to see all of your beautiful parfaits and to know they did not meet your standards. Feel free to send any of the "practice pieces" to me.

Tim Rinehart
06-23-2011, 3:32 PM
Can't believe I almost missed this one...geez DD...you really outdid yourself. Glad to hear the parts about "YOU" liking and being satisfied with your technique and execution of the piece. I think enjoy clearing those hurdles and the "I Get It" as much or more sometimes than the end result of the work. Superbly done...as has been the norm for you.

Cathy Schaewe
06-23-2011, 9:36 PM
as a turned object, this is the best I've done so far.

How can I argue? stunning.

David DeCristoforo
06-24-2011, 9:55 AM
Thanx again to everyone for the comments. I did not mean to "toot my own horn" about being happy with this. It's just that I was very pleased to get all the way through it without bunging something up! I do think the transition between the bulb and the pedestal needs work. I am finding that this is the hardest part of these forms to get "right". It's a small detail but one that can make or break the piece. I'm hoping to get time today to take another whack at it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
DD,
I've looked at and admired each piece in this group and liked them all, even the ones you didn't like so much. This one is hands down my favorite, so far. I am confident it will remain so until the next one. Don't get tired of this particular silhouette just yet. My sense tell me there is a bit more exploring for you to do before you begin a new series.
faust

John Hart
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
....I do think the transition between the bulb and the pedestal needs work. I am finding that this is the hardest part of these forms to get "right". ....

I took your picture and blew it up big in photoshop and analyzed the curve in the body, then the curve in the transition piece. You know how much they differ? Like less than 1/32. So, yes...the curves are slightly off. It sure ain't much though.

Jon Nuckles
06-24-2011, 1:36 PM
David, I did not hear any "tooting" in your original post, and I hope you didn't take my reply to suggest that you were tooting. Your pieces have all been great, and I am glad this one did not disappoint you when finished as you said the previous ones did. BTW, feel free to toot your own horn on any and all of these if you want; they deserve it!

Curt Fuller
06-24-2011, 6:56 PM
David, what a beautiful piece of art! I'm glad you are 'tooting' your horn a little. I'm glad that you're finally happy with one of these exquisite turnings.

Russell Eaton
06-24-2011, 7:08 PM
David I say after you KILLED that piece.... TOOT AWAY. That thing rocks. I like the drastic color difference it adds a lot to the piece. Thanks for showing and keep up the awesome work.

David DeCristoforo
06-24-2011, 8:48 PM
I know... I'm getting obsessive. But I'm afraid I've always been obsessive! The little transition piece has been bugging the crap out of me. It is, without a doubt, the hardest detail on these things to "get right".

199157 199156

I really like the line to flow from the bulb into the base. But I don't really want it to be an unbroken line that looks like it was masked off and painted. So there has to be the slightest hint of a bevel and a tiny bit of flare right at the point where the two pieces meet. This is the fourth attempt and as close as I think I'm going to get.

I really wanted to thank everyone for all of the kind words. My ego is all puffed up now!

John Hart
06-24-2011, 8:52 PM
That is exactly what I did in photoshop today. Woo Hoo!!! You da man!!

Ed Morgano
06-24-2011, 8:54 PM
Well fine, if that's the best you can do I guess we'll just have to live with it. :D Seriously, the problem I'm having is that you have come up with a pedistal and finial that I think is as close to perfection as one could hope for.....but since you came up with it first, I can't claim it as mine! Now I have to come up with something different if I'm going to be famous like you. Hummmmm.

Mark Hubl
06-25-2011, 5:19 PM
Very well done D2. Wonderful work and title. Love the elegance of the colors.