PDA

View Full Version : i am so bummed out this week that i sold my powermatic jointer

Tim Morton
06-22-2011, 5:36 PM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

nothing more to be said....

Bruce Page
06-22-2011, 6:06 PM
You sold it because you are bummed out or you're bummed out because you sold it?
Cheer up, you'll find a replacement. :)

Tim Morton
06-22-2011, 6:56 PM
woops...bummed out because i sold it. it was 3 years ago...sold it to someone on the creek.

Peter Quinn
06-22-2011, 7:20 PM
You are bummed out this week from having sold a jointer 3 years ago? What brings on these feelings after 3 years?

Neil Brooks
06-22-2011, 7:31 PM
I think it's called "Delayed-Onset ..." something-or-other ;)

Tim Morton
06-22-2011, 7:55 PM
You are bummed out this week from having sold a jointer 3 years ago? What brings on these feelings after 3 years?

i sold it because i was having trouble getting 220 down to my basement...and i had 2 girls starting college..and this past weekend i finally found someone to put the 220 in.

Phil Thien
06-22-2011, 8:11 PM
Wait, do you hear that sound? I think I hear opportunity knocking. Opportunity to buy another 8" jointer.

I know how you feel. I have had to, on occasion, part with things I'd just as soon have been able to keep.

But in the long run, the universe always takes care of me.

glenn bradley
06-22-2011, 8:37 PM
I hear the cost of one year's books for 2 students easily equaling the cost of a new jointer. Its your turn.

Bruce Page
06-22-2011, 9:05 PM
Congrats on the 220! Now go help out the economy and buy that 12" bad boy you've always wanted! :cool:

johnny means
06-22-2011, 11:43 PM
I hear the cost of one year's books for 2 students easily equaling the cost of a new jointer. Its your turn.

Have you seen how much text books cost now? Books for one class could buy a jointer:eek:.

Bruce Page
06-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Have you seen how much text books cost now? Books for one class could buy a jointer:eek:.
LOL! I’ve put two through collage. It’s all relative.

Charlie McGuire
06-23-2011, 2:00 PM

Jointer is more useful too !

Chip Lindley
06-23-2011, 3:04 PM
I can remember when I was 220V-challenged, about 25 years ago. My awsome, almost-new Rockwell RC-33 planer was 220V-only and I could not even run it. It cost me about $200 to have a 100A sub-panel installed in my garage. Shortly after, I acquired a good older rotary phase converter, I was all set for any single- or three-phase machine that might come my way. I have never been guilty of selling off as much as I continued to acquire.

Take the selling of your Powermatic in stride. You can get another one. Now there's 220V at the end of the tunnel!

Tim Morton
06-26-2011, 7:07 AM
i saw this on craiglist last night and they are willing to deliver it for the asking price...its a 6" woodtek. There is some surface rust, but she claims it has been used twice and is like brand new. I think i am going to go for it.

jared herbert
06-26-2011, 7:30 AM
how much are they asking for that jointer? I have one just like it that I want to sell, just curious.

Tim Morton
06-26-2011, 7:41 AM
how much are they asking for that jointer? I have one just like it that I want to sell, just curious.

tell me more about this jointer? From what i have read it is a decent grizzly clone..and it should be fine for the stuff i do. They are asking $350...whihc is maybe a little high? But to have it a semi-local sale and for them to deliver it is very convenient. I could buy a brand new grizzly that would be similar for a bit over $525 delivered. or i could obsess for a few weeks and be up to $1400 for a new powermatic.

Carl Beckett
06-26-2011, 8:09 AM
It seems like a decent life choice/tradeoff, to step down to a lower cost jointer to help support your childrens education. Take it in stride.

I have seen 6" delta jointers on CL go for $150 even. They are pretty common. Maybe do a search within driving distance for you on search tempest and see what hits. I think my 8" Grizzly was ~$500 when I got it new (they were closing out that model) - so $350 doesnt sound like a great deal, especially if not perfect.

With luck, you might get to experience something you wouldnt otherwise, and find out that there are other choices out there besides the powermatic that you can live with just fine. Enjoy the opportunity to research and buy something different! :)

-Glass half full kinda guy......

Joe Angrisani
06-26-2011, 8:48 AM
$350 is too much for a used entry-level 6" jointer.

Tim Morton
06-26-2011, 9:02 AM
Thanks guys...i will continue my search for something better.

Tim

jared herbert
06-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I had mine listed on craigs list at $200 and never got a call. There was nothing wrong with it and it was clean. Guess I will have to list it again. Jared

Tim Morton
06-27-2011, 7:57 PM
I just love search tempest....thanks for that link, i have been looking for that kind of thing for awhile. I found several nice jointers, maybe the best one was a grizzly 8" but i think for what i will be doing a 6" will be fine and will be a whole lot easy to wrestle into my basement. I did find a old Boyce Crane for $50 that needs a motor....its only a few miles from where i work...not sure what else it needs.

Karl Card
06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Jointer - bums me out too.... I bought an 8 inch 2hp jointer 1 year ago... I did get the 220 plug put on the end but still have not hooked it up... and I have 220... you know I think I might do that tomorrow...

School books, yeah that is a poltical joke in itself. Sure the bookstore will buy most of them back. I think I get about 30 percent back of what I originally paid. Nothing but a joke......

Gary Herrmann
06-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Take your time if you don't have a project pending. You can get an 8" down the stairs. It won't be fun, but you can do it. 8: allows you to skew your boards some. My 8" weighs about 500lbs. I'd love to have a wider jointer, but I don't know that the stairs will take the weight.

That keeps me from suffering from 2"itis. Jointers are as bad as lathes in that regard.

Karl Card
06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Take your time if you don't have a project pending. You can get an 8" down the stairs. It won't be fun, but you can do it. 8: allows you to skew your boards some. My 8" weighs about 500lbs. I'd love to have a wider jointer, but I don't know that the stairs will take the weight.

That keeps me from suffering from 2"itis. Jointers are as bad as lathes in that regard.

Been there done that. My wife and I got my 8 inch jointer down the stairs with out hurting it... but after it was over I looked at her and then mywelf and then at the steps and wasnt quite sure we should have done what we did. I know have a 3/4 inch piece of plywood to use as a slide and have a come a long setup so that I just gently let it slide down the steps with controlled movement. Sure beats two people plus the wait of the joiner on the steps at the same time.

Tony Perrone
06-28-2011, 1:51 PM
Just finished my Masters try Half.c_m for text books bought a $40 text for $2.

Tim Morton
06-28-2011, 7:31 PM
Been there done that. My wife and I got my 8 inch jointer down the stairs with out hurting it... but after it was over I looked at her and then mywelf and then at the steps and wasnt quite sure we should have done what we did. I know have a 3/4 inch piece of plywood to use as a slide and have a come a long setup so that I just gently let it slide down the steps with controlled movement. Sure beats two people plus the wait of the joiner on the steps at the same time.

i brought a powermatic 8" down the stairs...and then back up the stairs..so yeah i could do it, and i will get an 8" if the deal presents itself, but i am also perfectly fine with a 6".

Tim Morton
07-02-2011, 5:57 PM
Is this a decent price? It seems high to me...but he won't budge. I will be driving right by it this week...

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/2450120819.html

Carl Beckett
07-03-2011, 8:10 AM
Hi Tim,

This one over in NH looks more in line to the range I would try to find:

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/2469289742.html At $225.

A grizzly brand new is ~$450 (and add shipping).

Might depend on how big a hurry you are in, and whether you are satisfied just being up and running again or if you are trying to get a great deal (I still think you could get under $200 if you keep looking)

Carl Beckett
07-03-2011, 8:12 AM
Or this powermatic for $200

Tim Morton
07-03-2011, 3:16 PM
Or this powermatic for $200
i didn't see a link here...but i assume its the one that was selling with the delta drill press? I saw that and have been in contact with him. I also saw the reliant.
Just not sure...and not in a huge hurry...other than i want one. There is also a grizzly that looks clean for $225.

Tim Morton
07-08-2011, 6:42 PM
Seems as though the pickings are pretty slim for used jointers...so i opted to try and order this one on sale from Grizzly. Its the 8" polar bear version...its in the summer sale catalog for $695 and i called to order it...and apparently they are not honoring that sale price as they wanted to charge me $775 plus shipping. They were nice about it but they claim rising costs of copper plastic and steel are forcing them to raise the price...keep in mind the sale started July 4th. So even though its only $80 i walked away and said no thank-you. They really made me feel like i was being cheap for not spending the extra money. I emailed them a scan of the flyer...and i will be stunned if they don't honor the price.

The hunt goes on....