PDA

View Full Version : stencil out of masking tape?

Nadia Zois
06-22-2011, 4:08 PM
i need to make a stencil out of tape. i was thinking of maybe packing tape or masking tape but i am not sure if this is safe?

is it safe to laser cut masking tape or packing tape? if so. any particular brands you suggest?

i need an answer asap i have to finish a project today and i want to know if its safe to go ahead with this method.

thank you guys :) [you are all so helpful i appreciate it so much!! i always come here when i am unsure of something]

Chuck Stone
06-22-2011, 5:30 PM
I don't see a problem using masking tape, but you might have better luck with
the 'sticker paper' from Staples. 8.5 x 11 sheets, matte and better adhesive.
I think 30 sheets was around $12 or so..

Joe Pelonio
06-22-2011, 8:32 PM
We normally use transfer tape, high tack is best for stencils. Masking tape is fine too but hard to find in more than 2-3".

David Fairfield
06-22-2011, 9:36 PM
I use masking tape, but as Chuck suggested, I prefer sticky backed paper labels, crisper cutting and no sticky residue as I sometimes get with masking tape.

You can get sticky back labels free if you are shameless and know where to look. :o :rolleyes: Since they are used as stencils it doesn't matter if they are printed.

Dave

Chuck Stone
06-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Since they are used as stencils it doesn't matter if they are printed.

I always wondered if the ink in the word "Priority" would interfere with the laser..

Dan Hintz
06-23-2011, 7:18 AM
I use blue painter's tape quite often... sticks reasonably well, comes off easily, I can raster my design at low resolution (for speed) to make sure registration is correct, and I can turn up the power and laser right through it.