PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Turning / Left Handed Chuck

Chris Burgess
06-22-2011, 3:54 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to the site but have been turning for several months on my Shopsmith. I have gotten to the point that the slop in my shopsmith has becaome an issue as my technique grows. That said I just picked up a brand spanking new circa 1960's Toolkraft 390A Lathe. This thing is a beast and seems to be turning dead on. I rounded a block and when I touch a pencil to it the line goes all the way around, not the case w/ the SS. Ohh did I mention it came w/ a 100lb Cast Iron base, 4 Face plates of various sizes and 14 Chisels? No? Well it did all for $75. I think I got a great deal. A little elbow grease to remove some surface rust and I can forsee my wood pile going down dramatically. Enough jaw jackin'. My question to you. The lathe can handle a 10" bowl/platter but I have some blanks larger. One reason I got this lathe was due to the fact I can turn outboard on it. My problem, aside from the fact that all of my #2MT centers are now useless, is this. Is there a way to use my RH Thread (righty tighty) chuck on the Left Hand Threads, be it an adaptor w/ some set screws or what ever or do I need to find a LH Thread chuck. If a new chuck is in order any ideas on where to findone? I did some looking and have only found plates not chucks.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

I currently have a PSI Barracuda Chuck

Jerry Marcantel
06-22-2011, 5:32 PM
Chris, I'm fairly new myself, and haven't heard of left hand thread chucks yet. If you know of any machine shops or machinists you might be friendly with, approach them and see if they could cross thread your chuck.. Jerry (in Tucson)

Michael Mills
06-22-2011, 7:10 PM
I do not know what size spindle you have but if you go to Teknatool (Nova) they have 4 or 5 inserts listed for LH for their chucks.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm)
I have no idea how they work. Maybe others here can tell you or you can call the Teknatool support center in FL.
I assume Oneway and other brands offer them also.

Bob Bergstrom
06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
My old delta had 1x8thread. The Oneway Stronghold chuck insert was double threaded. It would screw on inboard or outboard. I don't know about others.

Harry Robinette
06-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Chris
Yes, Nova makes LH threaded inserts for there chucks,they also make a LH/RH insert for 1" 8tpi,yes it has both LH and RH threads in one insert. you need to contacted
Teknatool the makers of Nova equipment.

Chris Burgess
06-23-2011, 12:45 AM
I have a PSI barracuda chuck w/ 1x8tpi threads. My lahte is 3/4x16tpi. The 'cuda comes w/ an adaptor for this but it does not thread both ways. Will take a look at the Nova but they are a little pricey. If all else fails I may just have to put it off for a while and save up. Thanks everyone.

Michelle Rich
06-23-2011, 6:20 AM
you don't tell us what thread size..is it 1x8?? 1-1/4 x 8 or an oddball size.?? there are many odd sizes out there..like shopsmith 5/8 straight..no threads at all...this info should help us help you

Chris Burgess
06-23-2011, 8:12 AM
you don't tell us what thread size..is it 1x8?? 1-1/4 x 8 or an oddball size.?? there are many odd sizes out there..like shopsmith 5/8 straight..no threads at all...this info should help us help you

I realized that last night and added it. It is the post right above yours. Chuck is 1x8 and the lathe is 3/4x16, my chuck came with a 1x8 to 3/4x16 minimizing adaptor. I also have the 5/8 straight to 1x8 for the shopsmith as that is what I used before and have been wondering if I would get LH Threads to 3/4 x 16 on that and put a couple of set screws in it to keep the RH Thread Chuck from backing off the lathe.