PDA

View Full Version : Frame saws

Nicholas Lingg
06-22-2011, 8:44 AM
I found these Frame Saws at a Flea market last weekend! Were can I get some blades for them?

Jerome Hanby
06-22-2011, 8:50 AM
Not sure if they are some "standard" size, but if you can drill the pin holes, you could cut some out of a band saw blade...

Dave Anderson NH
06-22-2011, 9:24 AM
Hi Nicholas,nice score on the saws. As a matter of information, those saws are commonly refered to as bowsaws because they have a "string" which is tightened to the level of a archery bow. A frame saw is a very different animal. Think of it as a rectangular "picture frame" of wood with the blade suspended inside the frame and centered. Maybe someone could post a picture to show you the difference. Jerome is right, you'll probably need to use bandsaw blades because it doesn't look like they are any standard length.

Nicholas Lingg
06-22-2011, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the infor. Band Saw blades I have.

george wilson
06-22-2011, 10:15 AM
If the bandsaw blades have hooked teeth,you may have to hand file a more appropriate hand saw type tooth on them. Try to get a blade that doesn't have hooked teeth. I think the best you can do is get blades that have vertical front teeth configuration,and they could use a little re filing,too,or the saw may feel very aggressive,and be hard to use.

john brenton
06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
yeah, that's a killer find. What are the sizes?

Nicholas Lingg
06-22-2011, 11:33 AM
yeah, that's a killer find. What are the sizes?

7 1/2" & 13 1/2" Hole to hole on the blade

john brenton
06-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Standard coping saw blades are 6", and Gramercy has 12" blades. I wouldn't cut the crossbar, but I would make new ones to shorten the length, keeping the original bars in case I wanted to resell it.

I say that because I personally don't like the bandsaw blades for small turning saws. They don't allow you the tight turning radius you can get with the thin coping saw blades.

george wilson
06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
We had to make repro 18th.C. turning saw blades for the Hay Cabinet Shop in the Historic Area. They could not be bought. They were severely taper ground from cutting edge to back. On the front end,they were about 1/4" wide,the rear,about 3/8". They were .042 on the front edge,and less than 1/32" on their back edges. That gave them more turning ability for chair making(not small scroll work). I had to freehand grind the blades on the belt grinder. We'd punch the teeth,then shear off the blades on a taper,then grind and file. No set needed.

Richard Line
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
You might check Highland Woodworking. They sell some frame saws. Although not the same size, you might be able to re-drill the holes.

Paul Saffold
06-22-2011, 9:47 PM
Nice find. "Tools For Working Wood" sells blades as mentioned above. That is where you will find Gramercy tools in case you didn't know. Their web site has a ton of info on bow saws including plans. I'd go with the suggestion that John made and make a new crossbar. This link will get you to the page on bow saws at TFWW. Good luck.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/bowsawdesign.html

Salem Ganzhorn
06-23-2011, 8:11 PM
The brass hardware looks like it could have come from toolsforworkingwood. Check the length of the blade. Your larger saw may fit their stock blades. I have some of their blades and they seen to work well.
Salem