PDA

View Full Version : Aniegre

bill walton
02-12-2005, 9:38 AM
One of my friends showed me a large Aniegre board he had acquired. Looks nice but I'd never heard of it previously. I looked it up on the web to gain a little knowledge, dangerous thing, but wonder if anyone out there has ever used it.

Jim Becker
02-12-2005, 9:45 AM
Steve Jenkins in the Dallas area has done some wonderful things with Aniegre...truly wonderful looking wood. I have a little veneer of that species in my shop, but haven't identified a project for it yet.

jerry cousins
02-12-2005, 10:34 AM
picture of a sideboard using aniegre (sometimes anigre) - it is really a nice wood - finsihes nicely - kind of a soft chocolate tone (picture does not really convey it very well), and tools cleanly.

jerry

bill walton
02-12-2005, 10:50 AM
picture of a sideboard using aniegre (sometimes anigre) - it is really a nice wood - finsihes nicely - kind of a soft chocolate tone (picture does not really convey it very well), and tools cleanly.

jerry
I might acquire this board and try to find some more for a project to be named later. Kind of typical isn't it, Always for a later project. Actually, I'd like to use it for a coffee table with bubinga inlays. I was going to use maple but this big QS plank I think would look nice. It'll be later because I'm moving my shop/garage from the Florida Keys to a new place in Central Florida where I'll have much more room.

Jim Becker
02-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Bill, where are you moving to in central FL? (The 'rents live in Summerfield and there are also quite a number of SMC members in central FL, too)

Steve Jenkins
02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Anigre does machine well but it's death on jointer and planer blades. It's got a lot of silica in it. I think it's worse than teak.

Robby Phelps
02-12-2005, 11:20 PM
I worked with Anigre on a kitchen a few years back. It is really beautiful wood. The lumber that we used was actually quater sawn and highly figured it was really stunning when it was done. As far as working with it is seemed fine and finished very nicely.

Keep us posted on the wood and the projects you will make with it. This is a wood species you dont see very often so i look forward to seeing your piece.

Good luck

Moderator removed signature line which contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the Terms of Service. Robby, please edit your User CP to remove link.

bill walton
02-13-2005, 3:00 AM
Thanks for the additional input. I'm a bit worried now about the jointer and planer blade issue but they can be sharpened.

Andy London
02-13-2005, 6:31 AM
Ive used it in framing and some crafts however it is very expensive for being a wood that, well can be replaced by another with the same tones and grain for a fraction of the cost. My local supplier has stopped carrying it as WW's kept passing it by. Nice to work with.

Andy