PDA

View Full Version : Antique Barbed Wire...

James Combs
06-22-2011, 12:04 AM
...and I had to find it.:eek:

I was cutting up some of my spalted maple into bowl blanks now that I have a process to make them turnable and while cutting them up I discovered some antique "barbed wire".:mad:

Note the red arrows. I had noticed some wire sticking out of the side of the tree but I could see both ends so I stayed clear of that. :rolleyes: The tree has been down and dead for many years but the tree had overgrown 2-3 inches of the visible wire.

As you can see I split it using my band saw and stayed away from the exposed ends. However, when I opened up and looked at the separated halves this is what I saw.

OOOPPS. :mad: There was more wire hidden inside the tree that had nothing to do with the wire ends I could see on the outside.

If you look closely at this photo you can see the ghost (the grayish circle in the wood) of an inner ring of wire that apparently girdled the tree at one time many moons ago. The horizontal split is my band saw kirf. Needless to say I now need another blade. The vertical split I did with an axe to verify that the wire was a circle. Down in the lower right quadrant there is a long dark grey blotch of a line, resembles the hour hand on a clock at 4:00, I suspect that that is a nail. Looking closely at the upper right quadrant you can see the tips of barbs that I didn't miss:( when separating these chunks from the main body of wood.

I did a pretty good job of dulling my band saw blade but not so bad I couldn't get the job done. It just made it a lot harder push wood across the blade. I ended up with 11 vessel blanks from about 8" down to 3" and a baker's dozen birdhouse/bottle stopper size blanks.

Now I need to make something and sell it to get a new blade for my Rikon.

Jim Burr
06-22-2011, 1:16 AM
Ya gotta love wood with a history and that much character! Why isn't it turned yet;)?

David E Keller
06-22-2011, 7:58 AM
Pretty stuff, JD! Too bad about the band saw blade, but at least it wasn't ugly wood you were cutting.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-22-2011, 8:23 AM
Jim,
You probably could not have bought one of those 8" blanks for the cost of a saw blade. That's sweet looking wood.
faust

Lee Koepke
06-22-2011, 8:24 AM
That is (was) some pretty wood. Sorry about your blade though ....

Richard Jones
06-22-2011, 8:45 AM
The 142" blade? Ouch............... Same thing happened to me not too long ago with some hackberry. Cut through a nail that was holding a posted sign.

But...............simply gorgeous wood...................

Rich

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I had a similar experience and picked up a lumber wizard as a result. Found a number of nails, screws and wire since then - but found them before chainsawing!

Tim Rinehart
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I recently cut up a small dogwood log and saw a couple shiny round areas at the cutline. I tried my lumber wizard on it and couldn't get it to pick up the signal. I discovered it wasn't wire ... it was bird shot. Lead turns without a hickup in small form like that. I'm glad it wasn't wire...I've ruined two chain saw chains that way!!

David DeCristoforo
06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
I would gladly trade a bandsaw blade for even one or two of those blanks. That's some sweet looking material!

Trevor Howard
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry about the Blade James, like others said maybe a small loss for some beautiful looking wood. I look forward to seeing some finished items.

One question in your experience of events like this, what is the possibility of more hidden metal when you come to turn them?

John Hart
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Very cool James. I have a pile of walnut with the same problem sitting in the shop. Just haven't chopped it up yet. Barbed wire leaves brilliant blue and purple streaks in walnut (big ones). I'm hoping to capitalize on that. ;)

Chris Burgess
06-22-2011, 4:22 PM
Too bad about the blade but I would call it a necessary sacrifice. That is a beautiful lot of blanks you have now.

John Hart
06-22-2011, 7:05 PM
Here's my wired walnut. I'm wondering if that blue stain will enhance or ruin the result.