PDA

View Full Version : Forrest saw blades on a jet proshop table saw

Andrew Howe
06-21-2011, 9:25 PM
Hi all,
I picked up some woodworking tools at a estate sale and walked out with 2 forrest saw blades among several other goodies for a deal.
I have a woodworker II and a duraline a/t blade both regular kerf. My table saw is 1.75hp and I want to know if it really makes that much of a difference regular vs thin kerf for this saw. I see many comments running either way.
I currently am running a Freud thin kerf 40 tooth gp blade and have great results with it on the saw.
Any advise is appreciated

scott spencer
06-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Anytime I've compared a thin kerf and full kerf version of the same or similar blades I could definitely notice the lower feed pressure of the TK....mathematically, a 1/8" full kerf blade is 33% wider than a 3/32" TK. It'll be most noticeable ripping thick stock. The TK's are easier on the motor, and probably better for it in the long run.

With that said, your saw should spin both kerfs without much issue unless you're trying to rip very thick stock, in which case a 40T WWII is the wrong blade....a 24T FTG TK ripper is far more efficient for thick ripping. The Hi-ATB blade should be excellent in crosscuts. Try them!

Jeremy Greiner
06-22-2011, 12:21 AM
I have a full kerf Forrest combo blade in my jet proshop and it works well. I would like to get a thin kerf rip blade for doing 2'' maple and such. But I haven't needed to yet so I haven't bothered with another blade.

Andrew Howe
06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
So should i sell the 40 tooth ww2 blade?And what is a 24 t FTG TK ripper blade?

spencer;1726447]Anytime I've compared a thin kerf and full kerf version of the same or similar blades I could definitely notice the lower feed pressure of the TK....mathematically, a 1/8" full kerf blade is 33% wider than a 3/32" TK. It'll be most noticeable ripping thick stock. The TK's are easier on the motor, and probably better for it in the long run.

With that said, your saw should spin both kerfs without much issue unless you're trying to rip very thick stock, in which case a 40T WWII is the wrong blade....a 24T FTG TK ripper is far more efficient for thick ripping. The Hi-ATB blade should be excellent in crosscuts. Try them![/QUOTE]

Mark Godlesky
06-23-2011, 1:13 AM
24 t FTG TK = 24 tooth flat top grind thin kerf

Rod Sheridan
06-23-2011, 6:56 AM
When I owned a 1.25 HP saw I used standard thickness blades on it without issue, all you have to do is adjust your feed rate.

For ripping in thick stock, a 24 tooth rip blade will be better, as previously posted by others.

Regards, Rod.

Harvey Pascoe
06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Absolutely a huge difference. Because I work small, when I noticed the difference I then went to an even smaller kerf by using 7.5" Matsushita 0.063" kerf blades. They go through wood like a hot knife thru butter. I realize that not everyone can use blades this small but it just illustrates the point that the narrower the blade tooth, the less friction and, for me, less turning expensive wood to sawdust.

I have a 40T flat top ripper labeled as a "safety" blade and frankly that thing scares the hell out of me. I only use it for ripping small rabbits.