PDA

View Full Version : Wood road trip from denver to Atlanta

Rich Noterman
06-21-2011, 5:55 PM
Next week LOML and myself are driving to Atlanta from Denver thorugh Kansas City, ST. Louis, Nashville then on to Atlanta. You guys know of any good saw mills/ lumber yards for some nice hard woods or stores for supplies that I sould stop at? I have Rockler and Woodcraft in my area. Any help would be great.

Thanks for the help Rich

Tom Hamilton
06-21-2011, 6:20 PM
Highland Hardware, Atlanta for tools and supplies.

Carlton McClendon for wood: veneers, boards and turning blanks.
1130 Hemphill Ave, NW
www.rarewoodsandveneers.com

Enjoy the drive and Atlanta. Best regards, Tom

Randy Dutkiewicz
06-21-2011, 6:50 PM
Rich,

Like Tom suggested - Highland Hardware. Doesn't get much better than that place. Just make sure you have a "full wallet" when you go in:) For wood, try this place: http://www.thewoodyard.com/pages/display/

Al Stramiello
06-21-2011, 9:21 PM
I'm with Tom and Randy on this one. Highland Hardware is the Mecca for Woodworkers. Your wife can wander around the nearby shops while you take your good old time at Highland Hardware . . . actually, it's now Highland Woodworking.

While you're in ATL . . . a visit to Carlton's will make your day.

And . . . to top things off . . . head to Atlanta Hardwood. They have a great selection of exotic wood.
5596 Riverview Road
Mableton, GA 30126

Andrew Howe
06-21-2011, 9:28 PM
There is also a sawmill on highway 9 in cumming ga. I have never been but it looks like they may have some cool stuff

Chip Lindley
06-21-2011, 10:32 PM
On your way through Kansas City, check out Frank Paxton Lumber Company, only 5 minutes off I-70. Amazing exotic hardwoods there! A little further east right off I-70, enjoy lunch or dinner at world-famous Arthur Bryant's BBQ!

Joe Angrisani
06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Rich.... I wouldn't go to Kansas City for a Frank Paxton Lumber store. We have one off I-70 out by Colorado Blvd: 4837 Jackson St., Denver, Colorado 80216 ... (303) 399-6047

Kent A Bathurst
06-22-2011, 7:12 AM
Highland Hardware, Atlanta for tools and supplies.

Carlton McClendon for wood: veneers, boards and turning blanks.

+1 on both. But - not to put too fine a point on it - while it will always be Highland Hardware to us old-timers, they changed the name to Highland Woodworking a couple years ago.

Also - about a half mile south of Highland, near the intersection of Highland Ave and St Charles, is Atkins Park restaurant/bar. Outstanding place for lunch and a beer - a true neighborhood bar.

Danny Hamsley
06-22-2011, 7:15 PM
If you get down south of Atlanta near Perry, come by and see me. I have many species for sale. I saw on my portable sawmill and air dry. I have black walnut, cherry, red oak, white oak, ash, maple, sycamore, yellow poplar, and red cedar. Prices are a good bit less that most lumber retailers for sure. BTW, Rick at Thewoodyard.com is a good guy and it would not be too far south to go see him. He is located in Griffin, GA.

Mark Ashmeade
06-22-2011, 8:03 PM
Peach State Lumber, just north of ATL in Kennesaw is worth a visit, depending on where you are in town.