PDA

View Full Version : planning a trip to alaska? help please?

curtis rosche
06-21-2011, 5:28 PM
so and update first. the doctors for my stepdad are most likely not going to do his surgery. to cut out the cancer they would have to remove his butt, a lot of muscle, enough of his hip bone that he would lose his leg, and some other things. and after removing all that there is still a greater than 50% chance it will come back before he totally heals which would put him in a worse spot. so basically there is nothing to do.

one of his dreams since elementry school is to go to alaska. he was in elementry school when it got its statehood and they studied alaska alot. so he wants to go to alaska before he goes.
problem is, he has trouble sitting, walking and in general moving because of pain. and there would be a large amount of medical supplies needed. so any place would need to be sufficently handicapp acessable for him. i know every place is supposed to be acessable, but there are different levels as handicap acessable.

any idea of how to go about planning this trip for him? it would be a trip for him and my mother. are there vacation agencies out there that specialize in handicap trips? any help or input would be greatly appriciated

Chris Kennedy
06-21-2011, 6:54 PM
My first thought is to suggest a cruise. They almost certainly have handicap accessible staterooms and you can use the ship as a base of operations. Additionally, cruises usually have a very good staff/guest ratio, so there will be plenty of people to assist when needed.

Chris

curtis rosche
06-21-2011, 8:25 PM
lists of places to see things that are a must do? anything that would help in planning a trip would be great. thanks

Brian Elfert
06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately, you may run into issues with Alaskan cruises for this summer being pretty well booked up. My parents scheduled an Alaska cruise several months ago. They had to settle for September as the rest of the season was already booked up. In my parent's case I have no idea if they wanted a particular ship or if the ships in general were booked.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I suggest you contact a good travel agent in your area. I've been pleased with the services at my AAA office. I believe that AAA membership is not necessary to use their services.

Tim Morton
06-22-2011, 11:55 PM
i am sure he will enjoy this trip...my daughter is there right now, and the pictures she sends back are amazing. She is in juneau...and absolutely loves it. Good Luck with your plans...