PDA

View Full Version : Drrawbore Pins - Question

Kent A Bathurst
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm drawboring M+T joints for the first time. Through-tenons, A&C style stuff.

Pretty cool, and it's going fine, actually [I like the tactile sensation of whamming the dowel stock through the dowel plate, and whamming the dowel through the joint - but QSWO is some hard stuff - doggone hard stuff].

But, I have a question: Why are drawbore pins sold in pairs?

I've only needed one at a time, and am scratching my head as to when I would need 2 at the same time. There must be some situation where I would, or - more likely - I am missing the point somewhere.

Derek Cohen
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Kent

I have the Veritas set. They are different sizes/diameters.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kent A Bathurst
06-21-2011, 1:18 PM
Derek - Greetings TO Perth

As do I. I have a set [pair] of Veritas 1/4" and a set of Veritas 3/8", plus a set of Blue Spruce 5/16".

My question is: why a pair? I am using the 5/16" currently, but I only need one at a time - not the pair of them. When would I need to use BOTH 5/16" pins at the same time? That's what has me scratching my head.

Jerome Hanby
06-21-2011, 1:37 PM
I always figured a pair would let you pin two joints at once as part of checking out an assembly before you started on more permanent fastenings...

Kent A Bathurst
06-21-2011, 1:39 PM
I always figured a pair would let you pin two joints at once as part of checking out an assembly before you started on more permanent fastenings...

Yeah - that makes sense, but I am clamping up the dry-fit, so that doesn't do much for me. Could well be the right answer, though, Jerome.

James Owen
06-21-2011, 2:16 PM
Having a pair of draw-bore pins is useful for test-fitting assemblies (for example, fitting a table apron to the left and the right leg) or for fitting/testing both peg holes on a 2-hole (wide) tenon.

Jim Matthews
06-21-2011, 4:28 PM
D'Accord (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1jNQzwvQ8&feature=related) :30 from the start.

Kent A Bathurst
06-21-2011, 4:40 PM
And there we have it - if The Schwarz says its so, it must be. Gotta admit - he has a much easier row to hoe with that softer wood than I do with the QSWO. Thanks, Jim.

Kent