PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Susan Help Please

Dick Wilson
06-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I have never turned a lazy susan. Just a big flat plate I suspect. I have a commission piece to do that is 15" in diameter. For those of you who have done one I need some advice. What type of mechanism is best to rotate the plate? I know that you can buy those awful looking things at Lowes but I do not want that showing. Any suggestions?? Thanks. Dick

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Dick,

I have used those 4" square bearing that you can pick up at Menards or any big box store. You can hide the bearings by turning a base 6" or so in diameter, attaching the bearing to the top platter first, then mounting the base to the bearings. I do that by drilling through the base and using small sheet metal screws. You can plug the holes with dowels or whatever but overall, the bearings work well and are hidden.

Lori Kleinberg
06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I do the same thing as Steve. Really can't see anything if the base is big enough.
This is the lazy susan I made for my turning tools.

Bob Bergstrom
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Same here. Make sure your wood is stable. Lazy Susans don't look good rotating if there is any warpage. Getting the top surface flat and free of any ripples can be a challenge. I use a 5" ROS to sand the top surface out to near the rim. Any rim decoration should be done before, if you are going to remove any wood from the top surface. I have found that a bead or proud edge can keep things from sliding off when rotated.

John Hart
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I looked into this a couple years ago. Glad I can help someone with the research I did.

Here's the goodest ones
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001061/Lazy-Susan-Bearings.aspx

John Keeton
06-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Dick, I have never turned any, but I have assembled quite a few from flat stock that was rounded without a lathe. The smaller bearings will support a very good sized top plate, so you can get by with a very small "awful looking thing!" It shouldn't show at all on a 15" platter - just keep it thick enough for the screws!!

John Hart
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
My favorite Lazy Susan was the one I made for my finishing room. I made it from a computer hard drive motor. Perfect bearings, perfect balance. Great for getting all lacquered up :)

philip labre
06-21-2011, 12:34 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about a girl Dick hired to clean his shop.

Dick Wilson
06-21-2011, 12:40 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about a girl Dick hired to clean his shop.

Philip, If you saw the pictures of my shop you would know that lazy Susan is not only lazy but has been AWOL for a loooong time.

Jamie Donaldson
06-21-2011, 1:00 PM
I suggested the solution on another forum, but for those members here it is really artsy/crafty to make a rotating LS using marbles. Turn a matching groove in the top and bottom discs, and fill the groove with some nice looking cat's eye marbles. A center bolt allows adjusting the "action" of the discs, and scores extra points as an object de art, as well as a conversation piece that increases the price!

Scott Hackler
06-21-2011, 1:10 PM
My favorite Lazy Susan was the one I made for my finishing room. I made it from a computer hard drive motor. Perfect bearings, perfect balance. Great for getting all lacquered up :)

Dang Hart, you ARE a computer geek! :)

Dick Wilson
06-21-2011, 2:23 PM
I suggested the solution on another forum, but for those members here it is really artsy/crafty to make a rotating LS using marbles. Turn a matching groove in the top and bottom discs, and fill the groove with some nice looking cat's eye marbles. A center bolt allows adjusting the "action" of the discs, and scores extra points as an object de art, as well as a conversation piece that increases the price!

Hi Jamie, Well I'll be. I would never have thought of that solution........and it would be very different. I LIKE IT!!!!! Plus the fact I think the top will be tree limb "coins" and an epoxy pour. Thanks a lot Jamie

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 5:21 PM
I do the marble thing and I get all my marbles out of all the rattle cans of paint and finish I use over the years. When I was still doing sheetmetal work we used about 100 cans of paint a month on many different things. So I had everyone safe the cans for me to take the marbles out. Some were steel bearings too that made great slingshot ammo!

The thin little commercially available units are about 1/4" thick and I have used epoxy to attach them with good success if you want to turn the top pretty thin.

Have fun,

Jeff

Jon Prouty
06-21-2011, 6:57 PM
I do the marble thing and I get all my marbles out of all the rattle cans of paint and finish I use over the years. When I was still doing sheetmetal work we used about 100 cans of paint a month on many different things. So I had everyone safe the cans for me to take the marbles out.

Have fun,

Jeff

Wow.. And I thought I was frugal.... Jeff, I believe that one deserves an award! Lol

Jon

John Hart
06-21-2011, 7:22 PM
Dang Hart, you ARE a computer geek! :)

Hey! There's lots of cool stuff in the trash!! Computer Printer rollers and shafts make perfect mini scrapers and skews. Just make a handle and yer set. And they hold an edge real nice too!! :)

Dick Wilson
06-21-2011, 9:08 PM
With the state of my shop I would probably...................loose my marbles:eek::eek::D:D:D

Jamie Donaldson
06-21-2011, 9:13 PM
Then you better buy a big sack of them marbles, cause they ain't gonna' have no magnetic attraction when lost in tha' shavins!!!:D