PDA

View Full Version : Making things round again! Hollow Form and Harp Microphone.

Ben Brown27
06-21-2011, 11:07 AM
So I had a baby a couple of years ago, and the turning came to an abrupt halt. She's finally gotten old enough to entertain herself while I play in the shop, so I've started turning things again. Here are a couple of things I've made in the last week or 2.

First one is a hollow form from spalted sycamore with blood wood finial and pedestal. It's about 9 inches tall and about 3 inches at it's widest. The walls are about 1/8-3/16 thick.

The second is a harmonica microphone. It's made from bloodwood and Oregon Myrtle.

C&C always welcome.

John Keeton
06-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, first things first - congrats on your child, albeit belated! Some very nice turnings, and I believe the first harp microphone I have seen!

Tim Thiebaut
06-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Those are very nice Ben, that sycamore is beautiful wood. Like John I have never seen a harmonica mic, is it just open on the back side? Very interesting piece! I like unique things like this.

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Ben - Welcome back!

Congrats on your baby! Kids sure do change your life!

Nice work on everything! Like the others... first mic I have seen! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Jim Underwood
06-21-2011, 12:56 PM
What does a harp microphone do? Amplify the sound?

Michael James
06-21-2011, 1:29 PM
Nice work and the mic is much nicer than all the ol green ones.... and wireless. Too cool!
mj

Ben Brown27
06-21-2011, 1:33 PM
Thanks guys,

The harmonica mic has a 1/4 mono jack on the back, so you plug it into an amp or recording device. I'll make a sample recording and post it this evening. You'll have to forgive my playing abilities though.

Tim Thiebaut
06-21-2011, 2:26 PM
Thanks guys,

The harmonica mic has a 1/4 mono jack on the back, so you plug it into an amp or recording device. I'll make a sample recording and post it this evening. You'll have to forgive my playing abilities though.

Ok so it is an electric mic then, I was thinking it was more like a sound box for the harmonica....ok makes since to me now, thanks for the explanation.

Ben Brown27
07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I finally got around to recording something with the mic. Forgive the harmonica playing, I've only been playing for a few months now.

http://soundcloud.com/thehandcoder/wooden-mic-test

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Ben good to see ya back. Kids do that for sure. Those are some nice turnings.

Sid Matheny
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Great looking items Ben and you sure didn't forget anything after being away from the lathe for 2 years.

Sid