PDA

View Full Version : Building a rolling table and need some help with the wheels.

Tim Morton
06-21-2011, 6:18 AM
The tabl e will be about 3x6 and will be multi-purposed. It will be an outfeed table or an infeed table...plus it will be a work table...and maybe a storage unit on the bottom for some small tools.

I am thinking 5" locking wheels and in searching it seems that poly are preferred over rubber wheels, but i am wondering if 300lb rated wheels will be heavy duty enough. I see wheels that are rated much higher, but hey start getting into the $35-$50 per wheel pricing.

Rich Engelhardt
06-21-2011, 6:35 AM
Email or call Great Lakes Casters. I just had two orders from them & their customer service is very good. So are their prices and selection.

LOL! That could be due to the fact that I used my wife's PalPay & email address for the order & they thought they were dealing with a girl ;).

BTW - I went w/5" non locking swivel casters on my 32"x 80" outfeed/light duty storage/Pocket hole station/outfeed.
The casters were on sale for $5.00 ea. & rated for 350#.

Kurt Cady
06-21-2011, 7:31 AM
I have 5-6 (20-24 wheels) sets of total lock casters from Great Lakes. No problems at all. Once they sent 4 of the wrong casters on accident and I had replacements in two days.

Randy Rizzo
06-21-2011, 5:49 PM
I did something similiar this past summer. Used castors from HD, as I recall they were rated at 250#, cost less than $15 per wheel. To date no problems with the unit, though if I had it to do over I'd eliminate the brake, this thing is heavy enough that movement when working on it is not a problem. And I'd use swivel casters on all four corners, presently one end has fixed castors and it's a little more difficult to move around. This outfeed/storage/worktop is 40"X60". This started out as a torsion box with open storage underneath to also be used as an outfeed table. It just kinda morphed into what it is today as I went along.

glenn bradley
06-21-2011, 6:44 PM
I have an MDF/ply multi-purpose rolling worktable that probably tips the scale at over 300lb with all the tools and so forth in it. I used 4" general purpose casters at about $6 each at the time (probably double that now) and always intended to upgrade(I even have the better casters on hand) but, the basic casters just keep going.

There is definitely a difference in the Harbor Freight stuff and something like the Woodcraft or Peachtree double locking units but, I still haven't changed out my cheap-o's yet.

Carroll Courtney
06-21-2011, 7:06 PM
Tim,keep in mind that's 300lb per wheel.And as for the rubber,if the carts sets for awhile you will get flat spots on them.I have purchase several sets over the yrs from this place http://www.greatlakescaster.com/index.php and have been very happy with the quality and fair prices.Post some pics,love to see your multi-purpose table----Carroll

Jim O'Dell
06-21-2011, 7:19 PM
I've got these from Grizzly under my 691 TS, and the base is built out of 4X4 Douglas Fir.198820
They are rated at 550# :eek: each and $19.25 each. Notice the grease zert? Probably a little overkill for your build, but these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Red-Polyurethane-Swivel-Caster-w-Brake-Threaded/H0701 should do nicely and are $11.75 each plus shipping. Jim.

Tim Morton
06-21-2011, 8:14 PM
i ended up finding something on amazon that seemed ok...they lock the wheel and they lock the swivel...and they are $12 a piece....similar to the ones in your picture Jim.

Larry Frank
06-21-2011, 8:58 PM
I have used the Woodcraft double locking 3" casters for a lot of my equipment. They are rated at 300# each.

Chip Lindley
06-21-2011, 9:20 PM
Hi Tim,
5" casters will roll nicely over any surface. A 300 lb. rating per caster is more than plenty. Your work table will not weigh nearly 1200 lbs. max! Casters with phenolic wheels will not distort under maximum weight. For casters, I wait for a bargain to come along on ebay or order from Burden's Surplus rather than pay Rockler's or Woodcraft's prices.