PDA

View Full Version : Busy Sunday

Kathy Marshall
06-20-2011, 10:05 PM
So while all you fathers were busy being pampered and catered to (I hope), I was busy doing other things.

I started the day off with about 4 hours of cutting mesquite logs into blanks and sealing them. This pic shows about 2 logs worth. I think I ended up doing 5 logs before my back said it had had enough :eek:

That's when I decided I'd worked enough and it was time for play :D
I turned this little hf out of what was originally identified as chinese elm. Turns out it may actually be a type of eucalyptus. The tree trimmers had cut down an elm and the wife (who I usually deal with) was sure that was the pile we got the log from, but both her husband and one of their crew said it was eucalyptus. It's not like any of the eucs I've turned so far, none of them have had such distinct growth rings or that color, and the bark isn't like most eucs. It also doesn't crack to the extent and as quickly as the other eucs I've turned. Whatever it is, I really like it.
Didn't take measurements, but it's about 5x4 with a coat of BLO.

After I finished with the hf, I thought I should make use of one of the blanks from the mornings chainsaw work. It wasn't a true crotch piece as the branch had been cut of long ago, but I cleaned up the scar and thought I might get some nice grain from it. The top of the blank is the top of the bowl since I didn't want a pith centered on the bottom. I rounded the blank on the bandsaw to about 11 1/2" diameter. I originally thought I would try another chip and dip bowl, but by the time I cleaned up the bark on the one corner, I was down to about 9" diameter. This is not the proportions I typically turn on a bowl, I would guess my normal is a height about 1/3 or so of the width. This one is 8 1/2" by 5" and the walls are a little thicker than my norm at 3/8". It's got a coat of walnut oil and I'll probably add a few more as it dries. I'm thinking this might make a decent salad bowl.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Bob Bergstrom
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Looks like you got a good workout. Does Mesquite dull chains like Osage does here in the midwest. Ripping must take some good horsepower. I really like the bowl. The curve is right on and goes so well with the lack of a foot. Great job and both.

David E Keller
06-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Pretty stuff, Kathy! Given that there are several hundred varieties of eucalyptus(something like 90% of the tree species in Australia are eucalypts), it makes sense that you've stumbled on to one that you haven't seen before... It reminds me of photos I've seen of tulipwood. Whatever you call it, it's beautiful! The shoulder on the form seems a bit low to my eye, but photos can be pretty deceiving. The mesquite bowl is beautiful, and I love that bit of swirling grain.

Tim Thiebaut
06-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Very nice Kathy! That wood must dry fairly fast down there in that heat dosnt it?

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Kathy, What did the bark look like on the little HF? THe wood is very pretty no matter what it is, but true Chinese Elm has a shaggy very thin kind of bark that flakes off. Here is a picture.

Jeff

Kathy Marshall
06-21-2011, 1:18 AM
Looks like you got a good workout. Does Mesquite dull chains like Osage does here in the midwest. Ripping must take some good horsepower. I really like the bowl. The curve is right on and goes so well with the lack of a foot. Great job and both.
Thanks Bob! I can't compare it to Osage since I've never cut any, but mesquite isn't too bad. I sharpened once during the session, but I didn't start with a newly sharpened chain. Pecan dulls the chain much faster if that gives any comparison.

Pretty stuff, Kathy! Given that there are several hundred varieties of eucalyptus(something like 90% of the tree species in Australia are eucalypts), it makes sense that you've stumbled on to one that you haven't seen before... It reminds me of photos I've seen of tulipwood. Whatever you call it, it's beautiful! The shoulder on the form seems a bit low to my eye, but photos can be pretty deceiving. The mesquite bowl is beautiful, and I love that bit of swirling grain.
Thanks David!
I just wish I had seen some foliage, it would make it much easier to identify in the future. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more! I agree with you on the shoulder, it started out even lower and I tweaked it a little bit and reduced the neck but should have taken a bit more off.

Very nice Kathy! That wood must dry fairly fast down there in that heat dosnt it?
Thanks Tim! It does dry fast here (not always a good thing), but the mesquite was turned green to final thickness. Mesquite is pretty stable and from my experience if the pith is removed, then cracking and warping is very minimal if it even shows up at all.

Kathy, What did the bark look like on the little HF? THe wood is very pretty no matter what it is, but true Chinese Elm has a shaggy very thin kind of bark that flakes off. Here is a picture.

Jeff
Jeff, the bark did not look like your pic. I've got 1 log left, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. I'm just used to eucs having a shaggy, shedding bark.

John Keeton
06-21-2011, 6:45 AM
Kathy, you are a machine!!! Nice work.

Michael James
06-21-2011, 6:57 PM
Pampered - Ha! Sweating it out in the garage trying to get stuff situated, so I can get more stuff!
Nice pieces as usual and that is very beautiful wood in the HF whatever.....does look like tulipwood. Keep em coming!
mj

Kathy Marshall
06-22-2011, 2:32 AM
Jeff, here are some pics of the log I have left. The little branch actually does look like euc.