PDA

View Full Version : Guess I should Say Hello

Dane Fuller
06-20-2011, 9:47 PM
I've been a Creeker for a couple of months now. Originally, I posted over on the engravers board because of buying a laser engraver to augment my shop but have found myself over here more and more lately. I jumped into a couple threads but nobody knows me from Adam, so here's a little intro for ya.

I used to build custom fly rods and had several sources for the wooden reel seat inserts but, having mountains of mesquite around I decided I should use that and have it be something of a signature piece in my rods. I had built up cash to put up a dedicated rod building shop behind my house and a year and a half ago asked Santa (my wonderful wife) if she would bring me a lathe complete with a set of gouges and chisels, drill chuck, arbor and a 4 jaw chuck for Christmas. She did and the week after Christmas I received a Grizzley G0657 with all the fixin's.

Just as I was about to pour the slab for the rod shop, I fell victim to the economy and, after 17 years in the civil engineering field, was laid off. It turned out to be one of the best things that has ever happened to me. We bought a custom frame shop to which I have added several other services to offer and haven't looked back.

A bad thing that has happened though, is that lathe with all those awesome looking sharp thingies and various other objects has sat silent and unused. Right now I am in the process of having the garage in the back of my store rewired to bring all of my woodworking and rod building tools up here. The lathe is what is calling my name though. I can't wait to make a mess with it!

James Combs
06-20-2011, 9:56 PM
Welcome to the vortex side Dane. Your gonna like it here I guarantee it. I have the slightly larger brother to your G0657, it is the G0658. The only difference as I recall is that the 658 has an outboard turning feature (of which I have never used). I sits in my turning cell and keeps my Jet 1642 company when I am not around. I have them arranged so that I can work on either one just by turning 180*. Comes in handy when finishing on the lathe with WOP and other wipe on finishes. I switch to the other lathe while the part is drying on the first one.

Hope you enjoy your turn in the vortex.

Scott Hackler
06-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the madness. You'll never look at a chuck of wood the same again!

Jim Burr
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Welcome Dane...good to have ya on the spinny side!

Dick Wilson
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Dane, You are truly doomed if you spend to much time here. These guys will push you into the vortex and watch you circle the funnel:D:D:D:D:D I will be looking for you cuz I am at the bottom:eek::eek: Welcome to the Creek

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Welcome to SMC. Like was said jump right in and you will never look at a tree the same again.

David E Keller
06-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Welcome, Dane! Looking forward to helping you spend your money!

Jeff Nicol
06-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Welcome Dane, We all dream of a wonderful and perfect life, but alas that is just not what happens! But it seems that you fell off the truck and landed in the daisies instead of the manure pile! Have fun with the new business and let us see some of your work when you start turning!

Good to have some fresh meat in the forum,

Jeff

Jerry Marcantel
06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Hey Dane, welcome. If you don't already know Allen Neighbors, look him up. He lives in Childress also. ........... Again, Welcome...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Tim Thiebaut
06-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Howdy Dane, welcome!

John Keeton
06-21-2011, 6:49 AM
Dane, great to have you here! I have concerns about your business once you start turning - no time for customers or for getting jobs done - just turnin'!!

Tim Rinehart
06-21-2011, 8:23 AM
Welcome Dane, and sincere wishes for a success with your business. Looking forward to seeing your work.

bob svoboda
06-21-2011, 9:02 AM
Glad to have you aboard, Dane. Welcome and good luck on your new ventures.

Dane Fuller
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome. After sliding down the slippery slope of fly fishing, I fear the vortex will be much worse. I love to work with my hands and to create things. I've yet to even plug the lathe in, but I know it's already too late. Like I said earlier, I've got tons of mesquite on my property so that will be one of my main targets. There are probably just as many Chinaberry/Soapberry trees too. Is that a good species for turning?

Hey Dane, welcome. If you don't already know Allen Neighbors, look him up. He lives in Childress also. ........... Again, Welcome...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry,
Al and I go way back. I haven't seen him in a while but, I'm sure he will be a great source of information.

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Dane - Welcome to the Creek! Get with Al with any questions you have about turning and I am sure he will help you get started! Have fun and be sure to post photos of your turnings! We love photos!

charlie knighton
06-21-2011, 3:19 PM
Dane, welcome and enjoy

John Hart
06-21-2011, 7:31 PM
Welcome Dane!! Quite a story. If I thought I could make it, I'd shoot for getting laid off too.

Starvation stops me though. :)

David E Keller
06-21-2011, 8:07 PM
Dane, I've turned a little soapberry/ chinaberry, and it turns like a dream.... The pieces I had were pretty bland, but I enjoyed turning it. It seems pretty stable, and I like the pale yellow color.

Dane Fuller
06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
John,
I tried to wean myself off of food, but just couldn't make it stick. Thank goodness my wife has a good job...;)

Thanks David. All I know about it is that my chainsaw likes it a lot better than mesquite.

Michael James
06-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Welcome from NM! Too far north for mesquite, so I can't feel your pain! :D
mj

Ed Morgano
06-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome. After sliding down the slippery slope of fly fishing, I fear the vortex will be much worse. I love to work with my hands and to create things. I've yet to even plug the lathe in, but I know it's already too late. Like I said earlier, I've got tons of mesquite on my property so that will be one of my main targets. There are probably just as many Chinaberry/Soapberry trees too. Is that a good species for turning?

Jerry,
Al and I go way back. I haven't seen him in a while but, I'm sure he will be a great source of information.

Dane,
Welcome to the vortex. One thing that everyone so far seems to have avoided was rule #1 which states that if you have Mesquite on your property and you ask a question on the Creek, you have to give everyone who responds at least one gererous sized hunk of that precious wood. :eek::cool::D Good luck with your new business.

Dane Fuller
06-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks Ed.
Now you tell me... The way shipping eats my sack lunch at the store, I'd better keep my mouth shut & use the search function. ;)