PDA

View Full Version : Chisels

Tom LaRussa
02-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Many of you know that I've purchased a few chisels recently.

Well, here they are, all together.

I figure I'll fix them all up, keep the ones I really like, and sell the rest.

The thing is, I keep coming up with large numbers of some sizes, 1/2" and 3/4" for example, and very few of others, like 1/4", 3/8", and 5/8".

What the heck did people do with these sizes, eat them?

It's a puzzlement...

Tom Stovell
02-11-2005, 10:40 PM
If that is a 'few' I can hardly wait to see when you get a whole 'bunch'. How do you decide which ones you like best? I think you need to hold on to them all and make a nice little rack to hold your assortment.
They do look good, don't they?

Tom

Alan Turner
02-12-2005, 5:26 AM
Tom,
I have had quite a few Stanley 750's over the years and what I have found is that the quality of the steel is at much variance. I believe this is the meaning of the phrase "run of the mill." So, before you go selling, you might want to check that your keepers have the good steel, apart from general appearance. I have a 1/2" 750 that is some of the best steel, and a 3/8" that is pretty ordinary, or worse.
On the other hand, I have never had a bad batch of steel from a Witherby, or Swan, or Butcher. It is only the stanley's where I have seen such a range of quality in the metal.
Alan

Tom LaRussa
02-12-2005, 2:03 PM
Tom,
I have had quite a few Stanley 750's over the years and what I have found is that the quality of the steel is at much variance. I believe this is the meaning of the phrase "run of the mill." So, before you go selling, you might want to check that your keepers have the good steel, apart from general appearance. I have a 1/2" 750 that is some of the best steel, and a 3/8" that is pretty ordinary, or worse.
On the other hand, I have never had a bad batch of steel from a Witherby, or Swan, or Butcher. It is only the stanley's where I have seen such a range of quality in the metal.
Alan
Thanks Alan,

I'd never heard that before about Stanley chisels, but it makes sense when one considers the differences over the years in Stanley planes.

Given the premium people are willing to pay for the Stanleys, and given that it would be quite difficult to come up with a set of them at a reasonable price, I may just sell all those I accumulate and put the money into other things.

BTW, do you have any experience with Buck Bros. chisels?