PDA

View Full Version : Larger Forged Roughing Gouge

Bob Haverstock
06-20-2011, 2:19 PM
Hi Folks,

I've been wanting a larger roughing gouge to try. I couldn't find one to pet, so I made this one. It is forged from 1095 steel and is about 1.5 inches wide. It's handle is turned from hickory. If I decide that I like it, I'll polish up the inside cutting radius.

Bob Haverstock

bob svoboda
06-20-2011, 2:27 PM
Looks good Bob. Let us know how it works for you.

David E Keller
06-20-2011, 3:59 PM
Pretty cool to have a tool that you forged yourself... My only thought would be to sink the skinny part of the gouge further into the handle.

Scott Hackler
06-20-2011, 4:27 PM
Wow that is impressive.

Dale Miner
06-20-2011, 4:37 PM
Looks good, but for me, the tang would need to go into the handle further.

What type of quench and temper process did you use after forging?

Bob Haverstock
06-20-2011, 7:09 PM
Looks good, but for me, the tang would need to go into the handle further.

What type of quench and temper process did you use after forging?

Dale, David, and others,

The tang is 1/2 inch in diameter and goes into the handle about 3 inches. Thank you for voicing your concern. I know that you can't tell from the photo how much tang is in the handle.

The 1095 was heated to above the critical temperature and quenched in oil. About the first inch of the cutting edge was heated to a straw color for temper. The rest of the hardened portion of the blade was tempered at a higher temperature and should be tougher and less brittle. If you have specific questions or comments about the hardening email me, after all, this is a woodworking forum.

Bob Haverstock

John Keeton
06-20-2011, 8:34 PM
Bob, I am impressed!! Takes me back a few years to the times I cranked the forge for my grandfather's blacksmith. I loved doing it, and watching him, and he loved having me crank!!

Dale Miner
06-20-2011, 8:56 PM
Bob,

You answered my questions and concerns. 1095 can be very brittle if not drawn back after the quench. My concern was a brittle failure, but you are ahead of me on that.

Now, a few porch columns to see how well it works?

Later,
Dale M

Jeff Nicol
06-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Bob, I have to agree with Dave, Dale and so on, even with 3" in the handle the amount still out is the weak point and if a catch were to occur that will be the place to bend or break. The 3 roughing gouges I have the tang is all the way to the wood of the handle, that being said it looks real good and the shape is nice. How is the edge so far? I have all the stuff to build the forge, but not the time! Have they sucessfully cloned a human yet???? Sure could use another me, preferably the younger, stronger, more handsome one!!!

Nice job on the forging,

Jeff