PDA

View Full Version : Swmbo

Keith E Byrd
06-20-2011, 2:15 PM
My wife has been most gracious for Father's day and I need your advice. She has granted my wish for some new tools. SO what would you recommend: I am trying to decide between:
a couple of Thompson's gouges
Macnaughton coring sytem
Hollowing tools
?

I am kind of leaning toward the gouges but I hate all the shavings I throw away that could be a bowl!
I haven't done any hollowing yet so I don't feel that hollowing tools are as high as the others although I do want to learn it.

BTW,I currently have a 6 piece HSS set of tools (Great Neck) 30 antique (carbon steel) some over 150 years old - all at least 90 years old), 2 BB, 1/2 H Taylor Bowl Gouge and H Taylor 1 1/4 in scraper.

I have a Nova DVR XP - 16" over the ways
Are there other tools you would recommend?

Roger Chandler
06-20-2011, 3:26 PM
Keith,

I would say it depends on your turning priorities........what you want to focus on the most...........get the tool that will help you advance in the areas you want to excel in the most.

Michael James
06-20-2011, 3:28 PM
Whatever you get, make sure the lil mrs. gets flowers and/or other appropriate indicators of appreciation! ;)

Tim Rinehart
06-20-2011, 3:47 PM
Not knowing what tools you have now that satisfy spindle or bowl turning, I would guess that you have 'some', perhaps entry level tools (BB) or perhaps better (Sorby, Crown, etc) but would just "like" a better tool. If that's the case, maybe all you really need is one or two new tools, but not at same time...so this makes buying at a later time an easier option.

If this is meant to be a 'big' FD present, and if you do experience alot of waste with bowl turning and you're starting with blanks that are at least 12" diam, then the coring tool is a valuable tool to get and there is no real equivalent in the 'get-by' world. You won't find people making their own very likely, so this is a need or it isn't. If a need...make it this.

Now, as to the hollowing rig...if you've decided you want to do some hollowing and that's what you really want to do...nix the coring for bowls...and get a hollowing rig. That being said, you can reasonably make your own hollowing rig including a laser for under $50, and perhaps with help of a friend who can make a few welds for you or help with some drilling of material.

Bottom line: Were it me...I'd be all over the coring tools. (by the way, what size lathe do you have?)

Jake Helmboldt
06-20-2011, 3:47 PM
Keith, I recently got a McNaughton. Due to limited time I've not had many chances to use it, but I have gotten a few cores (and managed to make a really large funnel). I'll be using it more often, but it certainly has a significant learning curve. If you have access to some big blanks I think it is a great way to get more out of your wood (besides shavings), and nested bowls are pretty cool (in my opinion).

But the other items on your list are on mine as well, so it is up to you to decide what you want.

David E Keller
06-20-2011, 3:50 PM
Pretty tough to go wrong with any of the options you listed. I'd put the hollowing tools in third place only because they can be made on the cheap so easily. Between the coring setup and the new gouges, I'd go with the gouges personally just because I would use them more often.

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Keith, Since I have them all , I would say go with the coring system, gouge and hollowing system in that order and in the same order!!! With the turning vortex, it is just a small span in time when you will want, need another tool........Use the force, it is strong in you!!

Jeff

Keith E Byrd
06-21-2011, 6:39 AM
Not knowing what tools you have now that satisfy spindle or bowl turning, I would guess that you have 'some', perhaps entry level tools (BB) or perhaps better (Sorby, Crown, etc) but would just "like" a better tool. If that's the case, maybe all you really need is one or two new tools, but not at same time...so this makes buying at a later time an easier option.

TIm, I have a HSS set of gouges (Great Neck) 30 antique (carbon steel) some over 150 years old - all at least 90 years old), 2 BB, 1/2 H Taylor Bowl Gouge and 1 1/4 in scraper.

Bottom line: Were it me...I'd be all over the coring tools. (by the way, what size lathe do you have?)

I have a Nova DVR XP - 16" over the ways

Keith E Byrd
06-21-2011, 6:50 AM
Guys I appreciate the comments. I put the hollowing stuff last on my list cause I still have a lot to learn about handling bowls.
From your comments I hear the coring system taking the lead, but that 5/8 Thompson bowl gouge is sounding sweet. With flowers and maybe a couple of check marks on the honey do list ---- I wonder...??.;):D:D

Rich Aldrich
06-21-2011, 6:57 AM
Keith - Where did you find my list? I am looking at the same things to purchase next. Jeff listed the priority in which I want to purchase tools. After these tools is a steady rest, you might want to add that after you get the hollowing tools from what I understand.

It is great to have a wife that will contribute to the vortex.

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 8:02 AM
My bride has gotten used to me asking for forgivnes more than for permisson! So far I still get to sleep in the house, but after this weekend.......well......I can't gaurantee that will still be! Temptation will be my downfall, the trials of a "Toolaholic"!

A steady rest is a must if you are going to do any taller HF, just part of the Turning vortex curse!

TOOLS, TOOLS, TOOLS, and so little time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Whoopeeeeeeeee!!! !!

Jeff

Bill Bulloch
06-21-2011, 8:18 AM
Get them all....you are going too get them in the long haul anyway. Just explain to to the little woman that you have no control over the Vortex. I am sure she'll understand. Go ahead and get the Steady too, you'll need it.

Tim Rinehart
06-21-2011, 8:42 AM
Keith,
The Nova 16" should be fine for some coring work. If you plan on the McNaughton, look up a DVD by Reed Gray, a creeker who has quite a few tips in various threads about use of the tool. Mike Mahoney also has a DVD, but alot of others on this site seem to feel Reed's to be the choice for getting started.

Don't discount the possibility of finding a coring tool on the classifieds here. I would even suggest you post a WTB, as the coring tool is a tool that requires practice to get good at...and alot of folks get frustrated and just shelve it after one or two tries. You may be able to pick up a deal...who knows.

Steady rest is another item you can make on the cheap, either a decent one with 3/4" plywood and old roller blade wheels...or heavy duty like Jeff Nicol makes (and others like myself and Baxter Smith have copied) out of steel flange rings available from tool houses pretty cheap.

Lastly, the one thing that will make your turning much more enjoyable is a good sharpening system. Don't know what you're using, either high speed/low speed or belt, but if you're not able to get consistent scary sharp edges on your tools without taking alot of material away...that may need to be on list.

Hear that spinning sound in your head...it's the VORTEX!:D

Keith E Byrd
07-15-2011, 4:52 PM
Update!! - after much consideration and a conversation with Doug Thompson - I should be receiving by Monday evening the following Thompson gouges and handles:
5/8V Bowl Gouge 15V
1/2 Spindle gouge
3/8 detail gouge
Doug is a great guy to work with, very helpful and quick on the shipping!
Will let you know how they work!:):):)

Steve Mawson
07-15-2011, 5:19 PM
That didn't take long:cool:, way to go.

John Keeton
07-15-2011, 5:21 PM
I would say that is a very good selection! Love my 3/8" detail gouge!

Steve Kubien
07-15-2011, 5:35 PM
Great choices. I have each of those tools and use them far more than my coring rig or hollowing tools.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-15-2011, 6:19 PM
Great choices, All useful shapes and good quality tools. Now ask for enough free time to spend with them.
faust

David E Keller
07-15-2011, 7:18 PM
Congrats... The 3/8 detail gouge is easily the favorite tool in my arsenal. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts about the 15V versus the 10V.

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Now that is a gift for sure. Congrats.