PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Cut & haul day for SJPT

Roger Chandler
06-20-2011, 1:11 PM
this is the second cut & haul day for the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree, held this morning. I presented the little lidded box/foot to the owner today.....she was tickled. At least today we had a tractor and a bobcat for help loading on the trailer.

Pic 1- Myself and Starke Smith presenting the first turning to Donna Miller, owner of the SJPT.

Pic 2 & 3.........some of the cutting action

Pic 4 - fellow "Creeker" Nate Hawkes working on a part of the tree to cut into blanks. Nate has been a great help on this so far.

Pic 6. - Me cutting blanks from this piece.

Pics 5,7,8 - just some of the loading and cutting action

Bob Bergstrom
06-20-2011, 1:27 PM
Thats some big hunks of wood. Can't wait to see some bowls from it. Hope none of the guys were thinking about pen blanks at that time.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bill Bulloch
06-20-2011, 1:34 PM
Now that is a big tree. I'll bet that was some hard work doing those rip cuts. Did you have a Ripping Chain on that chainsaw or did you just muscle it through.

Roger Chandler
06-20-2011, 1:59 PM
Now that is a big tree. I'll bet that was some hard work doing those rip cuts. Did you have a Ripping Chain on that chainsaw or did you just muscle it through.

You guessed it Bill.........pretty much just muscled through it! :eek:

Tim Thiebaut
06-20-2011, 2:36 PM
It is a good thing you had the tractors there that thing is massive. Did you all have to rent a storage locker to keep all of this in? I think the wood from that would completely fill my house up and then some. It does look like a good time being out there though...good memorys from something like this.

Roger Chandler
06-20-2011, 3:03 PM
It is a good thing you had the tractors there that thing is massive. Did you all have to rent a storage locker to keep all of this in? I think the wood from that would completely fill my house up and then some. It does look like a good time being out there though...good memorys from something like this.

Tim,

At our club we are fortunate to have a place out of the rain, behind a high fence.........the size of a double car garage and then some..........I think we can get most of it there, and there are other areas at the shop we can re- organize to get more space if needed.

charlie knighton
06-20-2011, 3:13 PM
should have enough for a few bowls, glad to see the leg protectors, those look like big chain sizes but that's a big tree

thanks for sharing

Roger Chandler
06-20-2011, 3:18 PM
Thats some big hunks of wood. Can't wait to see some bowls from it. Hope none of the guys were thinking about pen blanks at that time.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob,

We have not even gotten to the biggest portion yet.........all we have cut are the branches and the forks off the main trunk........we are awaiting a bigger saw to arrive......hopefully next week.........so we can cut this thing up. The bottom of the tree measures 9 feet +/- by 7 feet 4 inches that is diameter, not circumference.

Roger Chandler
06-20-2011, 3:38 PM
I forgot to mention this...........it was not me who was cutting at the time this happened, but during the cut, evidently there was a snake hold up in the tree, and got cut in two during the process..:eek:........forgot to get a picture of it, however the owners friend did get a couple............maybe Nate did also, I will have to check..........

Everyone got a little more cautious about where they were putting hands and feet after that! :D:D:D

Roger Chandler
06-23-2011, 3:34 PM
A few more pics from this effort to recover the wood from Stonewall Jackson's Prayer tree

199003 This one shows some of the enormity of the tree.....the section where we are cutting off the forks from the main trunk area. Starke is about 6'4" tall.

199004 same here, and this one well, ..........199005 that is a full size ford F-250 with the hood raised in the background..........you can see how big at this point.........not even the biggest part of the tree......the biggest is near the root ball.

199006 an up close shot, showing the proportions to people.

Donny Lawson
06-23-2011, 5:26 PM
WOW, Now that's one heck of a popcorn bowl in there. I'll round up the neighborhood and buy the corn if you make the bowl.:D

Roger Chandler
06-23-2011, 7:22 PM
WOW, Now that's one heck of a popcorn bowl in there. I'll round up the neighborhood and buy the corn if you make the bowl.:D

Donny,

I would imagine that we could find at least one popcorn bowl in that tree...........just maybe? ;)

Nathan Hawkes
11-16-2011, 1:17 PM
Hey Creekers. I thought I'd share some pictures from the last cutting day on the Stonewall Jackson tree. Its me cutting on the tree with the giant Stihl 084AV with a 42" bar. That saw PULLS!! It was worth the countless hours it took to completely tear down and rebuild it. What a powerhouse. and heavy! These pictures were taken a month and a half ago; I just finally remembered to share them! Sorry folks. More pictures to follow, as soon as I sand and finish some of the turnings.

Roger Chandler
11-16-2011, 2:27 PM
Hey everybody, Nate has been a HUGE help with this project............I don't know if we could have pulled it off without him and his big saws! Thank You Nate!!!

Great pics too.............I could not make the last cut & haul day.........I was busy putting a roof and siding on my shop as some of you may remember................this project is now starting to hit its stride. Our two clubs are now making things to raise money for the wounded Warrior Foundation and the battlefield preservation foundations also!

Baxter Smith
11-16-2011, 7:42 PM
That is a heck of a tree... or Nates pretty short. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Roger Chandler
11-16-2011, 9:00 PM
That is a heck of a tree... or Nates pretty short. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Baxter, my guess would be that Nate is about 6 foot........I am 5'-11" and he looks to be just a tad taller than me. That is indeed a BIG tree!

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Wow now that is a tree. There should be turnings in that for months to come and that had to be some work Roger.