PDA

View Full Version : Bench Base help needed

Bob Noles
02-11-2005, 8:57 PM
I have searched high and low and read everything I could find to help me decide on a bench that would fit my needs. Due to shop size restrictions I require a "combination" bench that will fill my woodworking needs as well as my DIY home improvement/fix up/utility/handyman/jack of many trades hats that I must wear around here.

I believe I have found a good bench (at least the base portion) that will fill the bill in my shop. You can see this design at:

http://home.att.net/~ilikerust/benchpage.html

My problem is I am not quite sure how the "L" shaped legs are joined. I have emailed the author of this site for further details. but I would like to start this bench this weekend if possible and I am not sure I will get a response from him in time.

Could some of you good folks take a look at this design and tell me a good method to consider in the joinery aspect of the legs and/or other areas I need to watch for. I have not fully decided on a top just yet, but wanted to at least start the base. My top will be somewhere around 32 X 72 or 84 with face and tail vices.

I hope I have not broken any rules by posting this link.

Many thanks for any and all that can guide me.

Jerry Olexa
02-12-2005, 12:09 AM
With just a quick look , L shaped legs are probably glued together (to form L)using clamps, probably a nail or two in simple construction like this. After curing, the stringers are lag bolted and glued into the L shaped posts. Hope this helps...

Steve Cox
02-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Since it is long grain to long grain, simply glueing them together would be sufficient. Biscuits, splines, screws or nails would strengthen, simplify or help clamp them.

Mark Stutz
02-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Bob,
From the pictures and description, I suspect these were "just" butt jointed. Buscuits would be optional. As long as the construction lumber was planed and jointed flat this should be a fairly strong joint since it is long grain to long grain. With all the other components, most of the force will be downward rather than shear. Now, hopefully some "older" wiser members will jump in as well.

Mark