PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a wooden statue?

Tom Walz
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Restoring a wooden statue?

Years ago I had a Douglas fir in my front yard that had to be taken out. I had them leave a tall stump and later had it carved into a statue of a bear with his hand raised in a wave.

The stump was getting pretty rotten so yesterday I figured I better cut off the statue before the bear starts rotting out. It turns out I was probably a couple years too late.

What I have is a 5 foot wooden statue of a bear whose right paw sticks up another foot. There are about a dozen insect holes throughout the statue up to about 4 feet high.

When we were moving it, we broke off part of the upraised paw and discovered that it was largely rot inside.

The outside of the bear is still solid but I think it is mostly rot on the inside.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have and how to save and restore this. So far we've moved it to the back porch in hopes it will dry out. We also pumped insect killer into every hole and crack we could find.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Rick Gooden
06-20-2011, 12:32 PM
In restoring casings, sashes, etc. in historic homes, we use a product called "PC Woody" that works really good. You can form it to any profile you need.

Charles Lent
06-21-2011, 8:10 AM
Don't keep it on your porch. That's a sure way for those critters to move out of the bear and into your porch. I would put it on concrete blocks a significant distance from my house and buildings and tie a plastic tarp over it.

Charley