PDA

View Full Version : Photography question

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I would like to be able to photograph some work and need to set up a light box. The light box part is easy and seems relatively cheap. I don't have a clue about the light sources. I've read threads where lighting and white balance are discussed. My question is, what do I need for a light source. I am assuming inexpensive "big box" store fixtures will work but how about the bulb. I see light bulbs ranging from screw in fluorescent to 300 watt something or other lights. I'm sure I only need something simple. Any suggestions?
faust

Jamie Donaldson
06-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Faust- if you visit my web site JamieDonaldsonWoodturner.com, under the Tips menu is a tutorial on the Phrugal Photo Studio set-up. That includes the use of a standard variety 500 w Q/H work light fixture, pointed up at the side and top of the enclosure as illustrated. This type of light is readily available and quite reasonably priced in the $10~$15 range, and lasts a good long time in operation. It does get very hot, and is a good match to the tungsten (or incandescent) color balance setting on most current digital cameras.

Jerry Marcantel
06-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Faust, I built my tent not too long ago, and my light source is just 2 40 watt incandescent bulbs.I think my pics come out ok, but I'm not that sensitive to colors like a lot of people are. Being color binld has an advantage sometimes. Attached are 2 photos with different backgrounds. One pic has nothing to do with turning, but it's the only one I have taken in the tent with a different background..... .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Jerry,
I had a color blind uncle that worked with me for years. We were in the garment business and color matching was critical. I would tease him all the tims and show him green and red and ask what color they were. He finally caught on and gave me a standard reply, "dark". Thanks for the info.
Jamie, I am checking out your site now. Thanks.
faust

Joe Landon
06-20-2011, 11:27 PM
I highly recommend Jamie's setup, this is what I use. Thanks Jamie!