PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Sprayers? Especially Stihl?

Matt Meiser
06-20-2011, 8:29 AM
When we moved to our current house I bought a 15gal spot sprayer and my dad welded me up a bracket to carry it on the back of my tractor so I could spray the weeds in the driveway and a few other areas. Every year I've done it twice a year and its a pretty big project--set it up, mix Roundup, position the tractor, spray what I can, move the tractor, spray...repeat about 100 times. Then there's the cleanup and putting everything away.

Yesterday I started doing a small area that's really bad with the 2gal cheapie handheld sprayer and low and behold other than stopping about 7 times to refill its actually easier because I'm not on and off the tractor.

Last night I was researching backpack sprayers and found that Stihl makes one for about $120. I'm seriously thinking of selling the 15gal one and picking up one of these. Anyone have one? Do you like it? Reliable? Easy to clean? Is carrying 4-something gallons of liquid on your back bad? I'm thinking that's better than carrying it in my hand--it was getting hard on my elbow toward about the middle.

Ted Calver
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Matt,
Can't comment on the Stihl. I have three SOLO brand backpack sprayers (12 years old) that I've used both commercially and in my yard and garden. Never a problem with them. I use one for herbicide, another for noxious lawn and garden chemicals and the other strictly for organic sprays. They are similar to these from lowe's..... a bit cheaper than the Stihls. I have not had any problems carrying 4 gallons on my back...just a bit awkward to put on. If you set it on the tailgate and then strap it on it works great

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48075-536-425L_0__?productId=3361436&Ntt=backpack+sprayer&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dbackpack%2Bsprayer&facetInfo=

Greg Portland
06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Last night I was researching backpack sprayers and found that Stihl makes one for about $120. I'm seriously thinking of selling the 15gal one and picking up one of these. Anyone have one? Do you like it? Reliable? Easy to clean? Is carrying 4-something gallons of liquid on your back bad? I'm thinking that's better than carrying it in my hand--it was getting hard on my elbow toward about the middle.4 gal = ~36lbs so it's not too bad. IMO, Padded straps are worth the extra expense (note that you can add padding or get replacement backpack straps instead of buying Stihl-brand straps). My family has an ancient backpack sprayer and they are great, just run a bunch of water through it when you are done to clean it out.

It goes without saying but use a respirator & full eye covering (lab goggles, not eye glasses) when using the backpack sprayer... you don't want those chemicals in your eyes or lungs!

Larry Edgerton
06-20-2011, 5:38 PM
I will second the SOLO backpack sprayer. Mine has been around a long time and still works well, easy to use.

Larry

Jerome Stanek
06-20-2011, 6:42 PM
When I was growing up my parents had a Greenhouse and we had a backpack sprayer that carried about 3 gallons and a gallon of fuel. I used that to spray insecticide and what we called shading that is a white wash sort of spray to you spray on the roof of the greenhouse. We had 1 1/2 acres under glass and raised Tomatoes.

Matt Meiser
06-23-2011, 9:57 AM
I looked at the Solo at Lowes, then looked at Stihl and came home with that. There's a night and day difference in the quality of them for about $40 difference, plus I can get parts at my Stihl dealer. Probably get to try it out in a week or so when I do a second spraying of Roundup on the driveway.

Danny Hamsley
06-23-2011, 9:06 PM
I also have a SOLO that I use to spray herbicide and for basal spray for timber stand improvement. They are great, and carrying four gallons is OK.

Scott T Smith
06-23-2011, 9:08 PM
I have two commercial Solo's - one for spraying Anchorseal on logs (sold by UC Coatings) and another for spraying herbicide. Both great units and zero problems in several years of use.

Dave Lehnert
06-24-2011, 1:55 AM
This is the one you need.

http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_jyrrda-prodid-887-toplvl-9-catid-9-subcat-9-catprods-53.aspx

Matt Meiser
06-24-2011, 2:49 PM
Funny, my dealer tried to convince me the same thing!

Eddie Watkins
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I have the Stihl sprayer and like it. It has never been any trouble so I would probably buy it again if I needed one. It is sure convenient to be able to pump up the sprayer as I walk. Of course, all brands do that.
I hate to rave too much about a particular brand name because I am sure there are lots of good products but I also have a blower, weedeater, and hedge trimmer from Stihl and they have all been trouble free. Since the back pack sprayer has no motor the reliability issue probably isn't as critical.