PDA

View Full Version : my tailstock handle's getting hard to turn

Aaron Wingert
06-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Hey all, I've got a Jet 1220vs that I use the heck out of for making duck calls and turkey calls. I do a lot of drilling on the lathe using the tailstock, and over the last couple months my tailstock's turn crank has become pretty hard to turn. I've never taken it apart, greased it or anything like that, but I'm thinking that needs to happen. My assumption is that wood dust has accumulated in there and is plugging up the screw threads.

Has anyone ever done this? Not sure how to go about taking it apart without messing anything up. Any guidance would sure be appreciated.

Tim Thiebaut
06-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Hi Aaron, yup you are on the right track. I have the exact same model as you that I bought last Dec, I do a lot of drilling with the tailstock as well, I have already had to take mine apart and clean it as it was getting difficult to turn, been fine ever since. Very easy to do as there isnt much to it. If I remember right all you have to do is unscrew the tailstock locking screw all the way out, first make sure your center is removed of course. Then take out the set screw on the tailstock handle itself. The entire assy should then slide foreward and out through the front of the tail stock...clean and reinstall in reverse order...if you need any more help let me know...Tim

Jon Lanier
06-20-2011, 2:38 AM
I'm having the same problem with my Rikon Midi. Any suggestions?

Tim Thiebaut
06-20-2011, 4:13 AM
I'm having the same problem with my Rikon Midi. Any suggestions?

Hi Jon, I am sorry I have never seen a Rikon up close, but taking a guess I would say it cant be to much different the the Jet, try it the way I posted above and I bet that gets you close enough to getting it apart even if it is slightly different.

Richard Galloway
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
As has been stated, it's either a screw or perhaps a clip holding the shaft in place. take it out, clean it and lightly grease it up.. I failed to do this on my Jet mini and ended up having have to replace the whole shaft and rod as it stripped out the threads! Some prefer grease, I use "anti-seize" put on lightly. seems to be smoother and less attractive to sanding dust.

Aaron Wingert
06-20-2011, 4:37 PM
Thank you Tim and Richard, I sincerely appreciate your advice. I figure between that and perhaps locating an exploded diagram of the thing online, I should be able to tackle this pretty easily. What I was nervous about was the thing being super-complicated to re-assemble, and it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Aaron

Aaron Wingert
06-21-2011, 9:38 AM
It was quite a bit easier to do that I thought it would be. After taking the rear handle out, a wooden dowel worked as a punch to drive the internals out of the tailstock. Degreased everything, wire brushed the crud off of it, greased it up and put it back together. Works almost as slick as new. Thanks all!

Andrew Goar
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I had the exact same issue with my Jet 1642. I found that if I took it apart, and greased it, it would work fine again - for about a month, then start to get tight again. I finally took a closer look at things, and discovered that the little keyway along the backside of the shaft had burr left over from the machining process. I took some sandpaper to the burr, and re-greased things, and now it's been working smoother than it did when it was new, for over a year.

Tim Thiebaut
06-21-2011, 11:43 AM
It was quite a bit easier to do that I thought it would be. After taking the rear handle out, a wooden dowel worked as a punch to drive the internals out of the tailstock. Degreased everything, wire brushed the crud off of it, greased it up and put it back together. Works almost as slick as new. Thanks all!

Good job Aaron, very glad it worked out well for you, since I did mine I have not had any more issues with it. But this is a dusty hobby we have, so if I end up doing it again at least it is quick and easy, glad things got sorted out for ya!

Ed Morgano
06-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Good job Aaron, very glad it worked out well for you, since I did mine I have not had any more issues with it. But this is a dusty hobby we have, so if I end up doing it again at least it is quick and easy, glad things got sorted out for ya!

One thing that I've done in my shop is to substitute Johnson's Paste Wax for oil or grease where ever possible. After it dries it isn't sticky and doesn't accumulate dust as easily as grease. It will work on screws, slides, sliding surfaces etc. It will also slow or prevent rusting. Just a thought.