PDA

View Full Version : starting down the vortex again

curtis rosche
06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
here is the begining of the lathe i bought in the spring at the mud sale. i got the motor mounted this weekend. it took me awhile to scrape the money together while saving for next years tuition. i bought the 4 inch pulley for the motor, and the 3/8 plate i mounted the motor too. now i just need a belt, and to wire it right,,,,, a vacuum pump,,,, a chuck,,, some new tools,,,,, a second chuck,,,,, a friction chuck,,,,, more chucks,,,, more wood,,, bigger chainsaw.... gosh darn stupid vortex is starting again.

the second pic is the motor in the belt change and off position, the handle that is sticking up clicks into a spot on the leg and makes it stay up
the third picture is the motor all the way down, the weight of the motor and the mount should be plenty to keep enough tension on the belt.

John Keeton
06-20-2011, 7:09 AM
Looks like progress is being made, Curtis! Someday, you will need to consider a "fashionable" paint job - check with David DeCristoforo on how to handle that task!

Dennis Ford
06-20-2011, 7:38 AM
Reminds me of my first lathe, yours has better bearings. As mentioned in another thread, the turner is more important than the tools.

Baxter Smith
06-20-2011, 8:22 AM
Its definitely coming along! Good luck on the remainder!

Jamie Donaldson
06-20-2011, 12:03 PM
It would be beneficial if you could build a sliding mount for the motor to allow better belt alignment when changing spindle pulley sizes on the headstock. Slots in the motor mount with bolts and wingnuts would make such changes with the belt run smoother when in proper alignment, and the belts would also last longer.

curtis rosche
06-20-2011, 7:52 PM
if you look close, the motor is mounted in a sloted peice of metal which is mounted to the plate steel

John Hart
06-20-2011, 8:42 PM
I don't understand the need for tuition. Do they teach woodturning at that school? What good could it possibly be?

All you'll do is get an education, get a good job, then spend all the money on woodturning!!!

I say...Cut to the chase Curtis....Blow all your money on the lathe now. :)

David E Keller
06-20-2011, 9:27 PM
I don't understand the need for tuition. Do they teach woodturning at that school? What good could it possibly be?

All you'll do is get an education, get a good job, then spend all the money on woodturning!!!

I say...Cut to the chase Curtis....Blow all your money on the lathe now. :)

I'll be forwarding this message to John's kids to save him the trouble of having to have one of those 'What are you gonna do with you life' talks... He'll be able to spend the extra time turning instead of parenting.:D

Looks like a bit of a project, Curtis, but it seems that you're well on your way.

curtis rosche
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
its a pretty good lathe for being my second lathe and only being 125$
i wish i could spend the money now and save for college later, but i know better ;)

Jeff Nicol
06-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Curtis, Looks like a challenge and I love challenges! Hope you get it all going soon, but like Mr. Hart says blow all the money on a great lathe now, I am sure some of us can print out a passable diploma from a very good college of your choice! Most places just need the paper to give you the job, you just have to be able to do it! I got turned down for a a few jobs because I did not have a bachelors degree or better, they just never knew what they turned away!

Have fun, study hard and you to can be somebody!!

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-21-2011, 12:18 AM
i keep lots of pictures of the design proccess and how i put stuff together and i plan on using that towards a future job to show them in a portfolio to show off my capabilities.

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Good idea Curtis, one never knows what a potential employer is looking for. If you can't impress them with your charm and wit, baffle them with some bull*#$t (bull@#$t) !

We will be watching the progress,

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-21-2011, 4:52 PM
Jeff,, i have one of those motorcycle helemt stickers on the edge of my computer screen it read "if you cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle'em with bull%$#@"

Jeff Nicol
06-21-2011, 5:11 PM
Curtis, I new you were in that frame of mind! Got to get your foot in the door before you can take over!

Have fun,

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-21-2011, 5:20 PM
gotta be in the frame to survive. lol