PDA

View Full Version : I need a new air compressor

Greg Urwiller
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I've been using my son's 30gal CM air compressor for a while since he didn't have room for it when he moved. Well, he came and got it yesterday, so I need to buy one (I'd given my folks mine some time ago). Since I knew he'd be able to take it for a while now, I've been watching CL, but nothing decent shows up locally at all. I don't want a direct drive, just too loud! Home Depot carries a 30gal(?) Husky Pro and Menards carries a 30gal Sanborn, both vertical units. These both run between $350-400. This size seems to be about the right size for my use, light to medium duty. Either one better than the other? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions in this duty range? Anything on CL in this size range looks like they've been well used, and most are asking approx the same price as the two new ones I mentioned! Thanks. Greg

David Kumm
06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
What are going to use it for? Sanding and painting take a lot of air. Most other stuff doesn't. Vacuum veneering is also air dependent. Those uses require a bigger lubricated pump. Most other stuff is fine with light duty, intermittent
use. Dave

curtis rosche
06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
try one of these , its what we have in the amish shop i work in. the big on has a 5.5 inch cylinder and a 7 inch cylinder. it pumps alot of air

Cary Falk
06-20-2011, 2:26 AM
In that price range you can get a 60 gallon. I paid $379 for my 60 gallon CH at Lowes.

Bruce Wrenn
06-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Check out the Ingersol Rand units at Northern Tool. Best I can remember, they offer "free shipping."

Jim Becker
06-20-2011, 10:12 PM
If you want to stay on the smaller size, the IR GarageMate is a really nice unit...very high quality..and just above your stated price range. The big-box compressors are "ok", but if you look at many of the parts, they don't compare to units like the IR. Personally, I invested in a 60 gallon IR a number of years ago and it has been a pleasure to own.

Bret Duffin
06-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Ignor the knife grinder and see the Rolair in the background. I've had it so long I can't remember how much it cost or how long ago I bought it. If it ever dies I'll buy another just like it. Puts out a lot of air also.

Bret

Jeffrey Makiel
06-21-2011, 7:02 AM
I just bought a 60 gal vertical 3.7hp Kobalt compressor at Lowes. It regularly goes for about $480, has a cast iron pump and runs on a 20amp 240V line. I haven't used it much, but seems fine for my hobby needs. Home Depot sells a similar one that's orange for about $500. Jeff :)
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/846212/846212001660xl.jpg

Ryan Eldridge
06-21-2011, 6:24 PM
I will give a +1 to Bret on the Rolair dual tank. I had a direct drive for years and got really tired of the noise. I was looking for a new vertical tank belt drive but by chance one day I stopped into a pawn shop and they had a Rolair dual tank for a $100. It was dirty and greasy like it had been tipped over and the handles were bent. After about $20 in fittings and 2 hours cleaning bending back the handles the thing works great. I use it for the standard nailers, but I also switched over to a gravity feed HVLP gun and it runs the spray gun like a champ.

So maybe take a look at the pawn shops.

Bruce Kohl
06-21-2011, 8:01 PM
+ 1 on the Ingersoll Rand compressors from Northern Tool. I got a 60 gal. single stage compressor last year for around $600 with free shipping. It puts out around 11 cfm at 90 psi, which is more than enough for what I use it for - light duty air tools and spray finishing (plus blowing saw dust around). For a couple of hundred more you can get a 60 gal. IR that puts out almost 18 cfm. Unless you want to go to the upper end compressors, like Quincy, etc., the IR compressors are a great tool.

Greg Urwiller
06-21-2011, 8:04 PM
So far, I've only really needed a compressor for tires, and using a blow gun. I guess I've used it for a small gauge finish nailer a few times, but I really don't have any other tools, and I don't spray anything yet. So, I was looking for just the smaller sized compressor without taking up too much space. The HD and Menard's units were the only ones I had looked at so far, haven't really looked anywhere else but there and CL. I'd just as soon stick with a 110 model rather than move up to a larger 220. Just don't know if I seriously need that large of a unit. Thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas! Greg

Rich Engelhardt
06-22-2011, 7:22 AM
I'd just as soon stick with a 110 model rather than move up to a larger 220. Just don't know if I seriously need that large of a unit.

I'm real happy w/my IR twin "hot dog". While it's only got 4 gallon of storage, it recovers very fast. It's overbuilt in that respect. The motor/pump could easily support a larger tank - but - for what I use ot for, that's seldom an issue. If/when it is an issue, I just stick a 10 gal aux tank inline and do what I have to do.

BTW - IR support is second to none (IMHO). Just last week I was changing the oil in mine and rather than run insde the house, fire up the computer and go to the IR site to check how much oil I needed to add - I whipped out the cell phone and called them. W/in 30 seconds, I had my answer - 4.2 oz.