PDA

View Full Version : Compressors?

David E Keller
06-19-2011, 7:01 PM
I've had a cheap Bostich pancake compressor for a while now, and it's officially on its last leg. I've yet to take the leap into vacuum chucks and air powered tools, but I know it's only a matter of time(and money).

My question for you learned turners is this... What would you recommend in the way of a new compressor with the vortex in mind? Minimum HP, CFM, gallons?

I don't want to overspend, but I also don't want to find myself under-powered when I start looking into new air powered turning doodads.

Harvey Ghesser
06-19-2011, 7:22 PM
David,

If my memory in my little head is still intact, I remember reading that the Grex air random orbital sander uses about eight CFM. That would be the least amount of CFMs i would go for. I have the DeWalt model but it is rated at five CFMs. Perfect for me to air blow dust off the lathe and what not.

Scott Hackler
06-19-2011, 7:38 PM
David, if you've got space available (preferably outside of the turning area because of noise) AND 220v possibility, I strongly recommend a big compressor. I bought a 50 gal 220v upright from the local Farm and Ranch supply and its been great. I do have mine it the 2 car garage side of my 3 car (the extra space is my wood shop) and the noise isnt a worry. I like to use air for blowing off things and air hungry air tools (die grinder with sanding drums). Plenty of capacity with the tank size and easy refresh rate with the 5HP motor.

Michael James
06-19-2011, 7:39 PM
IMO the bigger the better, or you limit "looking into new air powered (turning) doodads. I have 3, and I mostly use the pancake job for dusting off stuff. I have a 2 1/2 hp ~ 20 gallon or so which will limp me through 90psi air tools, but sustain is limited by the size of the tank. Of course the airbush comp has no airtank, so.........
It's probably cheaper to think it through and buy the right one the 1st time. No can help with the vacuum stuff.
Happy Father's day to you and the rest of the dads out there. Off for some red chile cookin, done right!
Michael

Bob Bergstrom
06-19-2011, 7:43 PM
Get the biggest air tank you can fit in your shop. Using air tools or using it for a vacuum chuck will take a fair amount of air.

Roger Chandler
06-19-2011, 7:47 PM
David,

If you want real quality, and not have to purchase another compressor...........go with Ingersall Rand, ..........they are industrial duty, but you can have pretty nice compressor for cheaper. An oil lubed compressor will last longer, and of course one of the better manufactures is DeVilbiss.........they make Porter Cable, DeVilbiss, some others......I am not sure about Campbell-Hausfield, but their higher end are good.

I would recommend a minimum of 60 gal, ....upright model with oil lubrication, and it will stand in the corner out of the way. You can even get 80 gal models in the $800.00 range from Porter cable........will do what most hobbyist woodworkers will ever need.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-19-2011, 7:55 PM
David,
I bought my compressor when I bought a 24" wide belt sander that needed a huge volume of air for the belt tracking system. I needed a lot of cfm so I bought a IR 5hp vertical tank unit. The sander is rarely used any more but between pneumatic sanders, die grinders and spray guns I am really thankful to have the additional capacity. I took the time to run a proper loop around the shop and slanted the lines back toward the tank. The drops all go up before they go down and each drop has a ball valve and blow off. I installed regulators with water traps around the shop. The result is an abundance of dry, compressed air. It is an extravagance for a small shop but there are numerous tools I would do without before I would not have the compressor. When you do it, do it right.
faust

Matt Hutchinson
06-19-2011, 8:29 PM
Hi David,
I am in the compressor market as well. I recently posted a question in the general forum which has info that may help you. After looking around, and considering the long-term scope of my woodworking/woodturning, I may now be standing in the "as big as you can fit/afford" camp. I am now leaning toward this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284) one. It has good output, is reasonably quiet, has an inexpensive extended warranty (2 yrs), free shipping, and it's a good brand. (You need to buy a maintenance kit to get the better warranty.)

Here's the thread: Looking For An Air Compressor (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167483-Looking-for-an-air-compressor)

Hutch

robert raess
06-19-2011, 8:29 PM
What about noise[where do you park it or should you enclose it?]?Do you see the need for a 2-stage? I see they cost a pretty penny.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2011, 8:34 PM
David,

Before I became a woodturner, woodworker and built my standalone shop I bought a vertical 26 gallon oiled 6 HP compressor. Now it turned out to be one of those involved in a law suit and actually is about 3.2 HP. But regardless, it's not enough. I can run my Grex sander whick I enjoy for sanding my turnings but the tank eventually runs out and the compressor will run without stopping trying to keep up with it.

If you have the space, I'd recommend a 60 gallon, oiled dual-stage, compressor.......IR is one brand and there are a 2 or 3 other really good compressor companies that just happen to be US made. Eventually I will wear this one out and buy what I just recommended.

Compressors is one category where size and quality really do count.

David E Keller
06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi David,
I am in the compressor market as well. I recently posted a question in the general forum which has info that may help you. After looking around, and considering the long-term scope of my woodworking/woodturning, I may now be standing in the "as big as you can fit/afford" camp. I am now leaning toward this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284) one. It has good output, is reasonably quiet, has an inexpensive extended warranty (2 yrs), free shipping, and it's a good brand. (You need to buy a maintenance kit to get the better warranty.)

Here's the thread: Looking For An Air Compressor (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167483-Looking-for-an-air-compressor)

Hutch

Thanks, Hutch. I pulled the trigger on the compressor you listed, and it should be here in 3 or 4 weeks. That's a heck of a deal on a nice sized compressor, and I purposefully built my 'quiet closet' to house the dust collector and a large compressor. Thanks for all the feedback folks... Looks like this one will do whatever I ask of it.

Roger Chandler
06-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Hutch. I pulled the trigger on the compressor you listed, and it should be here in 3 or 4 weeks. That's a heck of a deal on a nice sized compressor, and I purposefully built my 'quiet closet' to house the dust collector and a large compressor. Thanks for all the feedback folks... Looks like this one will do whatever I ask of it.

Good choice David...........that one should serve you well!

Jeff Nicol
06-19-2011, 10:26 PM
David, The compressor you ordered that Matt rccomended looks like a nice unit, I have 3 different ones and got a couple of 2 stage heads and 6hp motors. I only use the compressors now for pumping tires and blowing off dust, but when I get one of he big ones connected to the larger tank and add a few more drops and lines in the shop I will have the capacity to run pretty much anything I can hook to it with 12 cfm at 90psi with a max of 175psi. I will put the other 22gal 5hp in the little shop and use the pancake for portable use. I almost forgot I just got a new plasma cutter that needs air, but it is pretty thrifty on air use, but will tax the compressor I have now with a lot of cutting, it is an awesome tool!!

Have fun with your new tool,

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-19-2011, 11:26 PM
get one of these, take a minimum of 25hp to run,,,, you will never run out of air.
it has a 5.5 inch cylinder and a 7 inch cylinder.