PDA

View Full Version : Bed molding.

Jason White
06-19-2011, 6:45 PM
I need to make a short run of exterior bed molding. Anybody know if there's a router bit out there that will do it in a single pass? Thanks! Jason

Paul Girouard
06-19-2011, 7:31 PM
I need to make a short run of exterior bed molding. Anybody know if there's a router bit out there that will do it in a single pass? Thanks! Jason

Why not just buy it?

http://www.interstatelumber.com/product-catalog/moulding-trim/bin-release/greenwich-collection-exterior.html

They have two types, I know around here , Western Wa. the good lumber yards carry it , mainly in Hemlock , which might be a issue. It should be made of VG Fir, Yellow Pine, R. Cedar , but not any more.

david brum
06-20-2011, 12:15 AM
You can get crown molding bits from companies like MLCS. The last one listed (#7869) looks pretty much like bed molding, although not as tall. I'm not sure you'd get it all in one pass with a router, though. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_molding2.html#crown_molding_anchor

Forrest Bonner
06-20-2011, 9:28 PM
Whatever you buy, take your square with you and check that the backs are truly 90 deg. My local, long term moulding shop has some that are not square - as I found out when trying to install it as a decorative edge on bookcases. Does everything have to go downhill?
Forrest

Chip Lindley
06-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Jason, there are many shapes that can be called "bed molding". Give us an idea of what shape you have in mind to install. A search of the internet for router bits that make larger moldings is easy to do. Some providers are Bosch, CMT, Eagle America, Freud, Infinity, Jesada, MLCS, Porter-Cable, Whiteside, and WoodTek to name a few.

If the molding will be made of hardwood to match interior trim, by all means use the same species of wood. But, if the trim is to be painted, paint-grade wood moldings can be bought from a well-stocked lumber company as cheaply as a big router bit can be purchased.

Jason White
06-22-2011, 9:34 AM
Good point, Chip. Not for interior use -- exterior (making it out of PVC).

Here's a picture of the profile that I'm talking about (see picture).