PDA

View Full Version : Adding 'wood scent' to engraved wood

Stephen Kane
06-19-2011, 6:14 PM
Hi

I am engraving bamboo products and I want to replace the 'burnt' smell after engraving with a pleasant wood smell.

Anyone have recommendations as to what products may work?

Tristan Ranatza
06-19-2011, 6:47 PM
The only thing I can give advice on is removing the burnt smell. All I do for that is brush the engraved area with an old toothbrush (I have the little crest spin clean battery powered brush). After that I blow it out with around 15 - 20 psi. after that I mist it with a little rubbing alcohol and blot it with a soft cloth. It shouldn’t smell like burnt any more.

As to how to re-scent it with that nice burnt wood smell... maybe someone else can chip in, I would be interested if the process is easy and cheap!

Larry Bratton
06-19-2011, 7:03 PM
Liquid smoke..like you put on meat?

Liesl Dexheimer
06-19-2011, 7:11 PM
What about Pledge or some other lemon dusting spray? I've never tried it though...

Tristan Ranatza
06-19-2011, 7:17 PM
hmmm just found a "fireplace scented jar candle" for sale... might be able to polish it up with some of the wax to get that nice smell!
Just google it and you can find any number of sellers.

Chuck Stone
06-19-2011, 8:06 PM
You can pick up a bottle of cedar oil and rub this into the wood.
Of course, if someone knows the wood isn't cedar and they recognize
the smell, they might wonder why it smells wrong (but very nice)

Woodworking shops usually have it (Rockler, Woodcraft et al) and hardware
stores might have it with the moth balls

Bill Cunningham
06-19-2011, 10:22 PM
It's amazing what kind of smells you can get in a can.. My Car dealer has a product that will give your car that new car smell.. I was rather amazed that someone could actually market a spraycan of toxic offgassing plastics and chemicals :D

Neil Pabia
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a friend that distills many different type of evergreen trees somehow for some organic home remedies and they are basically pure pine oil or fir oil or something like that, but they smell great. I can try to find his card if you want the info. I know they are a little expensive but they do smell great.

Stephen Kane
06-20-2011, 4:20 AM
Neil

That smells like what I am looking for. If you can find his card - great. Thanks.

Neil Pabia
06-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Neil

That smells like what I am looking for. If you can find his card - great. Thanks.
Found a bottle of it sitting here with his website address on it, it is originaltradegoods.com. They smell great and are made for skin contact so it is safe to use.

Stephen Kane
06-20-2011, 1:45 PM
Thanks to all.