PDA

View Full Version : Holy Batman!!!

Klaus Kretschmar
06-19-2011, 4:17 PM
In Germany there lives a craftsman named Esat Batman, who does some exceptional work. From time to time he shows some of his work in the German woodworking forum. Here his last work: some carving knives ... but very special ones.

http://mitglied.multimania.de/esatbatman/hpbimg/SchnitzmesserEB1.jpg

http://mitglied.multimania.de/esatbatman/hpbimg/Schnitzmesserfin1.jpg
I thought that his work is well worth to be shared.

Klaus

Pam Niedermayer
06-19-2011, 4:44 PM
I'd love to look at his carving knives; but you provided no link, and guess how many useless hits Google gives me, even with "Esat."

Pam

Klaus Kretschmar
06-19-2011, 4:51 PM
I'd love to look at his carving knives; but you provided no link, and guess how many useless hits Google gives me, even with "Esat."

Pam

Sorry, I'm not able to post a link since he doesn't has a web site.

Pam Niedermayer
06-19-2011, 6:00 PM
But surely the German woodworking forum, by definition, does have a site?

Pam

Stu Gillard
06-19-2011, 7:53 PM
But surely the German woodworking forum, by definition, does have a site?

Pam

I don't think links to other forums are allowed :(

Derek Cohen
06-19-2011, 8:40 PM
Hi Klaus

Thanks ... I think. I am blown away and quite in awe.

What wood is that? It is so striking (and compliments the design and workmanship).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lupe Duncan
06-19-2011, 9:30 PM
Very nice work.

I believe the wood is Black palm.

Salem Ganzhorn
06-19-2011, 11:29 PM
They are wonderful on the eyes! How are the brass ferule split pieces jointed together? My guess is the picture should be obvious but I don't do any metal work.
Thanks!
Salem

Alfred Kraemer
06-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Lupe,

I'm sure the wood is black palm/ or some other palm wood.
I'm as impressed as the other in this thread.
What is the source material - the steel - could it be a recycled saw blade?

The method of attaching the blade to the handle looks solid albeit labor-intensive.
I wonder how the two halves of the handle are glued together. Any kind of palm wood - in my experience(limited) - is tough to glue.

Alfred

Klaus Kretschmar
06-20-2011, 7:15 AM
Hi Klaus

Thanks ... I think. I am blown away and quite in awe.

What wood is that? It is so striking (and compliments the design and workmanship).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

as Lupe mentioned, the knife handles are out of Palm wood. I'll try to forward the kudos to the maker.

Concerning the blade steel he wrote that he took a left over of carbon steel (0.75% C). I'm not able to give a more precise answer since it wasn't me who built the knives. I don't know neither how he glued both pieces together, he didn't give a more precise information.

Regards
Klaus

john brenton
06-20-2011, 9:14 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's he doing with the cold chisel? Just breaking apart what he's already cut with a grinder?

Tony Shea
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I love this site. Every day I;m blown away at the quality of work that gets posted here. Those knives are beautiful. It is too bad that he has no site or other source to see his work. He is odviously a very fine craftsman. Thanks for the pictures.

Ray Gardiner
06-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for posting that, his work is exceptional, clean sharp work with the linisher (belt grinder), which I notice he has hooked up to a variable speed drive, which is a co-incidence I've just done the same with my linisher. The picture of the heat treatment furnace is a great shot.

I'm intrigued by the way he's fixed the blade, it looks like the ferrule holds the two halves of the handle together, I wonder if they are glued as well before the does the final shaping, because I can't see any join lines on the back of the handle?

Nice work, (he could get a job with Two Lawyers Tools with craftsmanship like that) :)

Regards
Ray

george wilson
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I could get pictures before,but cannot now. Just those infernal little blue tags with a question mark in them,which never work for me. What happened? Is it my Mac?

greg Forster
06-20-2011, 12:45 PM
very easy, "esat batman" - found the site in less than 60 sec.

Pam Niedermayer
06-20-2011, 3:54 PM
very easy, "esat batman" - found the site in less than 60 sec.

Hmmm, I found out that Batman has been discussed on Woodnet, twice; and that there is a Batman province in Turkey, the mayor is one Esat Oner. Or: screw it.

Steve LaFara
06-20-2011, 8:20 PM
Hmmm, I found out that Batman has been discussed on Woodnet, twice; and that there is a Batman province in Turkey, the mayor is one Esat Oner. Or: screw it.

I can't read German so it did me no good but you may be able to find something going to woodworking dot de

Pam Niedermayer
06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
I can't read German so it did me no good but you may be able to find something going to woodworking dot de

Thanks, Steve, but I don't see photos in the "mit bild" posts, including the first entry by Batman. Oh, well.

Klaus Kretschmar
06-21-2011, 1:53 AM
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for posting that, his work is exceptional, clean sharp work with the linisher (belt grinder), which I notice he has hooked up to a variable speed drive, which is a co-incidence I've just done the same with my linisher. The picture of the heat treatment furnace is a great shot.

I'm intrigued by the way he's fixed the blade, it looks like the ferrule holds the two halves of the handle together, I wonder if they are glued as well before the does the final shaping, because I can't see any join lines on the back of the handle?

Nice work, (he could get a job with Two Lawyers Tools with craftsmanship like that) :)

Regards
Ray

Hi Ray and all,

usually I don't start a thread showing the work of other persons. This guy makes me to do an exception the 2nd time because I'm blown away by the quality of his work and his artisan craftsmanship. His metal working skills belong to the best I've seen so far. He created for example a belt sander which is nothing but true art work. Even a simple sharpening stone holder becomes art under his hands. Since he hasn't a web site yet there is no other way to show his work than to post some workpieces from time to time on forums.

I think (but that's only a guess) that the knives are made in different ways. The round handles seem to have ferrules, the bent horn shaped handle is glued together completely including the "ferrule". The 2nd last pic seems to show the glue line on the brass.

You're completely right, Ray. Pedder and I would love to work together with Esat if there will be the idea somewhere down the road to make additionally some other tools than saws. We like his idea to try to make the best quality regardless the time which is needed ... And we like some of his design ideas, too.

Regards
Klaus

Gary Herrmann
09-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Klaus, diese Messer sehr schon sind.

Apologies for my rusty German and lack of umlauts.