PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Family Coat of Arms ?

Mike vonBuelow
06-19-2011, 2:03 PM
Ok, so after doing a lot of internet searching, and seeing lots of versions of my family coat of arms, I read somewhere that a coat of arms was for a specific person, and NOT for a family in general. So I created my own. Well, actually 2 versions.

I'd like to use this for a Christmas gift for my Dad, Uncles, and G-father. It only has four colors. So what are my options for gifts using my laser and/or a sand blaster.

Sandblasting round glass coasters came to mind. Also, just engraving this on a nice piece of Walnut.

What would you do?

Mike vonBuelow
06-19-2011, 6:56 PM
Just a quick burn to see what it looks like

Mike Berndt
06-19-2011, 7:00 PM
Very nice Mike I like the look.

Mike vonBuelow
06-19-2011, 8:47 PM
Thanks.

Here it is again, just with 3 colors (vs 4) black, 20% black, and white/clear. I'm liking this updated version a lot better for the laser.

I was also thinking of doing vector cuts using 1/8" birch, and layering the coat of arms for a true 3-D look: wings & part of mantle on the lowest layer, horns & shield next, remaining mantle and helmet next, and finally the oriole on top. The circles are gold coins, so I'd fill those with something (thinking clear caulk) and painted with gold foil paint.

Maybe adding some pigment powder too for a true shimmery look.

Mike Null
06-20-2011, 4:29 AM
I would consider inlays.

Mike vonBuelow
06-20-2011, 7:32 AM
Mike,

I'm new to inlays, but I'd guess you were meaning cut the pattern in a nice piece of wood with a heavy beam (so it's recessed) and fill ? With ?

Colors:
black (wings, shield edge)
silver/metal (mask)
deep blue (shield, outer mantle, wreath)
golden yellow (oriole, inner mantle)
gold (circles)
undecided, but probably golden yellow (decorations around bottom of shield)

Mike Null
06-20-2011, 7:47 AM
Plastic inlays in the colors you want.

Another option would be to use a wood plaque with a sublimated plate or a color laser transfer on a plate. Both are easier than inlays but you need a heat press and the printer and transfer paper. You can outsource if you don't have the equipment.

Gary Noble 6363
06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Mike,

Coat of arms are usually family name specific,

When a family has an addition to it (usually marriage) the son getting married adds a small bit to the original coat of arms, thus creating a new coat.

The bits added are usually very small but when after a few hundred years are compared to the original all the small bits become quite noticable, and it is possible to trace actual dates when these changes were made.

So in a way they are down to the individual, but they must always only be an addition to your latest family crest.

I do family crests/coat of arms as we can obtain at least 95% of all European sir names and engrave them onto glass paper-weights, we always inform our customers that we will only engrave the "original" coat not the latest one as this saves many a debate on the differences that they may have seen via the interweb thingy :-)

Mike vonBuelow
06-20-2011, 10:22 AM
@ Mike "Both are easier"

why would I want to do that ?? :D This definately needs to be a conviluted affair!

I was thinking colored paua shell/stones as an option. Can I get stuff like onyx (black) in thin, laserable, sheets ? Even if it's faux....

@ Gary "bits added are usually very small"

My addition is the leaf at the bottom of the shield, otherwise pretty much the same from the 13th century.

Ray Mighells
06-21-2011, 8:22 PM
You might want to check out analine dye stains. Comes in many colors, powder form highly concentrated colors, mixes easily with almost anything. You wouldn't need a lot of different wood but you would definitely want to control the flow of the grain direction in the segments and you could lay up layers. It's a little pricey but a 1 oz bottle lasts forever.